TForce | Winter has arrived/PA. charging drivers for snow on roofs.

I would think because this issue has now become law in most states and is being enforced, Installing automatic roof snow rakes at all facility's is needed where snow is the norm during winter months. As this is a large expense, I would imagine nothing will get done until there is unusually high claims, law suits or drivers just refusing to pull trailers with snow on them.

This is not just a LTL issue it is every company that uses commercial vehicles.
I would think bus also would be liable to comply with these snow removal laws.

What does the rest of the industry do?
Or could this whole issue come down to not operating in the Northern hemisphere in the winter months.

How would the states that passed these snow laws like them apples?

This is not just a LTL issue it is every company that uses commercial vehicles.
I would think bus also would be liable to comply with these snow removal laws.

What does the rest of the industry do?
Or could this whole issue come down to not operating in the Northern hemisphere in the winter months.

How would the states that passed these snow laws like them apples?

You are correct, The law says all vehicles will have the snow removed. Now it is up to the companies to enforce these laws. The problem.....very expensive. Either these company's install the equipment to remove the snow or they hire people to come in and move the snow or all drivers of every kind stays home and waits for the snow to melt off.:biglaugh: I am thinking most are not going to do a thing about it. My question is...............are all states on the same page as far as who gets the fine? The driver or the company? In 2010 with the new laws, this will make a difference. Remember the point system?

So, has anyone actually received a ticket for this? The article said the trucks were turned around. If the troopers told them to turn around, was it OK for them to go the other way with snow on the roof?

Instead of spending all that money on sensors, and traffic jam ups, why don't they put a scraper in one lane before the tunnel?

This sounds like another example of people thinking more laws will solve more problems.

Before any drivers get it a jam over this issue,this winter.
The snowy states should have a pow-wow with Safety,the drivers who will be effected,and union rep.'s if need be.
Seems to me there should be some clear cut rules in place before some citizen gets injured,or killed with ice coming off a trailer.

Just a few thoughts to all of former co-workers.
I know I would be posting to this thread topic if I was still working.
As a retired safety trainer I'm still looking out for the wellfair of you guys.

So, has anyone actually received a ticket for this? The article said the trucks were turned around. If the troopers told them to turn around, was it OK for them to go the other way with snow on the roof?

Instead of spending all that money on sensors, and traffic jam ups, why don't they put a scraper in one lane before the tunnel?

This sounds like another example of people thinking more laws will solve more problems.

A scraper in that spot would always jam up the highway. You have to almost come to a stop to drive under the scraper. The expense would also mean paying someone to be there all the time to remove the snow off the highway after it has scraped the snow off roofs. Then there is the liability issues. The state can make money issuing tickets out.

A scraper in that spot would always jam up the highway. You have to almost come to a stop to drive under the scraper. The expense would also mean paying someone to be there all the time to remove the snow off the highway after it has scraped the snow off roofs. Then there is the liability issues. The state can make money issuing tickets out.

Traffic is coming to a stop now when the sensor turns the light red. Then according to the article the trucks were turned around and told to drive the other way with snow on the roof. No tickets were issued. I ask again, has anyone actually gotten a ticket for snow on the roof?

They have lanes to pay tolls, why not have one with a snow scraper? Instead of each company putting one in.

Traffic is coming to a stop now when the sensor turns the light red. Then according to the article the trucks were turned around and told to drive the other way with snow on the roof. No tickets were issued. I ask again, has anyone actually gotten a ticket for snow on the roof?

They have lanes to pay tolls, why not have one with a snow scraper? Instead of each company putting one in.

I am very Interested to know also, who is liable, who gets the ticket, The driver or the company?

Up here in the New England we get snow showers everyday. This can be 1-3 inches of snow. If we refuse to pull these snow covered trailers, we could be sitting home most of the winter season.

Here are a few links. The first one comes from a well known attorney. How do you think he would be to face in court after reading his blog on trucks being driven in a snow storm? Snow and ice on vehicles is against the law in NJ. A couple of articles about snow and ice coming off of a trailer and striking a car.

Why Are Any Tractor-Trailers on the Road in a Blizzard Anyway? | Virginia Trucking Accident Attorney Blog

N.J. law requires snow, ice to be removed from vehicles | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Ice plunges from tractor-trailer, into B'ville school bus | News from The Post-Standard -

http://www.rawle.com/FilesView_PL.asp?fileID=89

With all of the controversy involved with this issue.
You can see why I introduced this topic near the beginning of the snow fall season for all of the snowy states.

It looks like every other winter season where the drivers are caught in the middle,and nobody knows how to solve this snow and ice falling issue.

I know if I was still working and a hunk of ice from a trailer I was pulling went flying through a 4 wheelers windshield I would be very distraught to say the least.

When I was still working and was bouncing an empty 48 foot van down the high way.
Seeing all of the snow clouds,and flying ice in my west coast mirrors.
I was praying really hard that God would not allow any crashes to come of it.
I'm not kidding about that in the winter months in upstate NY I did do a lot of praying.

Some Ideas

I like the Rooster One the best, but I don't see UPS installing any of these anytime soon, especially for the few months of snow that we get.
picture10t.jpg

The ROOSTER ONE Demo Video

picture7d.jpg

picture8g.jpg

picture9i.jpg

The Reed Screed Snow Removal System

truckmoveanim.gif

Scraper Systems, Inc.

This negative issue is not just exclusive to the LTL trucking industry.
What is everyother commercial operation doing to comply with these new laws going on the books of a lot of the northern states?

At ups we have our trailer scraped or we don't pull them it's that simple. We have the Union backing us on this as it is a safety issue and goes against our record if stoped.

The law is the law so i can't see how you can get fired for refusing to pull a trailer that the Co. doesn't scrap when asked

At ups we have our trailer scraped or we don't pull them it's that simple. We have the Union backing us on this as it is a safety issue and goes against our record if stoped.

The law is the law so i can't see how you can get fired for refusing to pull a trailer that the Co. doesn't scrap when asked

I don't believe anyone would get fired for pulling a trailer that has not had the roof cleared of all snow. Indeed it is a safety hazard and is against the law to drive any vehicle with snow on the roof.

I don't believe anyone would get fired for pulling a trailer that has not had the roof cleared of all snow.
Incident free you would be correct.....
but ad property damage and/or death or injury due to falling Snow/ice.... They will fire you faster than you can utter your stewards name.