TForce | WTF! Tell-A-Matics

Gater

TB Regular
Credits
UPS are putting sensors in all the package-cars, feeders and freight trucks its called tell-a-matics. The sensors monitor the ignition switch, clutch, parking break, break peddle, gas peddle seat belt and bulk head door on the package-cars. These sensors monitor every thing you do. You now have to put your seat belt on before you start the vehicle. It instantly sends a message to the center when you do something wrong and they send you a message to the DIAD or to IVIS. They already fired a feeder driver for not having his seat belt on.

Someone a corporate who had nothing else better to do had to do something to keep his or her job. These numb nuts must have spent millions on this and they always cry poor.

Telematics at UPS Freight has been rolled out for sometime now. If it hasn't already...it's slowly coming to your service center.
If you're honest, than you have noting to worry about. If you're dishonest, than you better change your ways.
I've seen it in action. It's a great tool for the shop's diagnostics, it's a great tool for dispatchers to help service the customers better and it's a great tool for management to see who's slacking out there.

Again....honesty is the best policy. Accurate driver DIAD entries and Telematics better match up as closely as possible, otherwise ::shit:: could hit the fan. Don't be a victim.

Management and some IT guys (who visit the service center) should be introducing everyone to telematics.

God I knew it was coming. Ive heard about the UPS Ground side having Telematics for a couple of years now. Not looking foward to all the meetings. "So why did you put your seat belt on 3 seconds after you started the engine???

WASTE OF MONEY, WASTE OF TIME

This is an old article but gives you some information for those that don't know.
If you have it at your terminal, your dispatcher will be more than happy to show you what it does. (unless your trench lines are divided and you despise management)
It works well for them, it's still in it's infancy at UPS Freight.

I was amazed to see how it showed vehicle moving, vehicle stopped, vehicle backing, seat belt usage (for the ones wired up for it) pick-ups assigned, pick-ups not assigned, drivers closest to pick-ups, etc.
They compare that to your DIAD inputs and it better be spot on.
So much crap to watch our work habits, it's almost job ******* to screw off. (although there are some minor loop holes.)
NO DIAD TEXTING WHILE DRIVING EITHER!!!

In a perfect world....A dispatcher that knows his areas and drivers + Telematics = no missed pick-ups.
UPS's New Telematics System Cuts Fuel Costs and Makes Drivers More Efficient

I wonder if it tells that a wheel is falling off or the frame is cracked, or the rubber seal is gone on the dog house and its 110 degrees in the cab or the front end shakes so bad that you can't keep it in your lane or that heat is coming in from the holes in the floor boards. Ect,Ect.

It also totals engine idle times.
We've had a few drivers questioned already.
We've also had a driver questioned over a 1 minute discrepancy over Diad entry and
Tattletale-a-matics

Hmmm looks like UPS drivers are going to become the most honest in the industry.
I see this as making everything more efficient when everyone is used to working with it.
Of course the ones who just can't go along with this new technology, will be weeded out,and newbies that are be willing to do anything to have a job, will come on board to take their place.

This technology is like any thing else UPS invests in,if there is a way for them to spend their money to make them money,rest assured they will do it,regardless if any of their employees feel that it may be good or bad.

Dockworker said:
It also totals engine idle times.
We've had a few drivers questioned already.
We've also had a driver questioned over a 1 minute discrepancy over Diad entry and
Tattletale-a-matics

That one minute discrepancy could just be the clock flipping over.

A company I used to work for put something like this in about four years ago. When we, the drivers, found out about it we would drive down the road and open and close the cab door while in motion, ride the brakes just enough to make the lights come on and so on. It was tons of fun when you got the frantic call from dispatch. But the best is it was supposed to be a secret from the drivers. So when we found out about this and found the "brains" under the dashboard we would pull out the sim card as they were cellular driven and then we would effectively disappear off of their screen! Drove them absolutely crazy, good times!

A company I used to work for put something like this in about four years ago. When we, the drivers, found out about it we would drive down the road and open and close the cab door while in motion, ride the brakes just enough to make the lights come on and so on. It was tons of fun when you got the frantic call from dispatch. But the best is it was supposed to be a secret from the drivers. So when we found out about this and found the "brains" under the dashboard we would pull out the sim card as they were cellular driven and then we would effectively disappear off of their screen! Drove them absolutely crazy, good times!
Why not just do your job like you are getting paid to do and not worry about it? Seems like a lot of aggravation to go through just to aggravte the boss.

I guess it is the age old game between some clever employees looking for ways to get over on the company.
This is nothing new some folks just seem to work harder at not working, then they do at working to make their companies a profit.

I guess it is the age old game between some clever employees looking for ways to get over on the company.
This is nothing new some folks just seem to work harder at not working, then they do at working to make their companies a profit.
Amen brother. And they wonder why "The Man" is always after'em about something. Funny how that works.

We were a small branch in a very large nationwide company and we all worked hard at helping each other and the customer, best group of guys i ever worked with. We just liked to mess with the people on the corporate level. It was just our brand of making an unbearable job tolerable. I'm in no way saying you should try this with UPSF as it seems to me they have NO sense of humor. Just sharing a funny story from a younger and stupider day.

You got that right mrlinehaul.
When I worked for Overnite from 1986 until UPS rebranded the company.
Overnite was pretty easy going type of operation,my terminal allowed us some slack to do what we wanted as long as we got our work done.
However we all learned fast it was going to be the UPS way or the highway.
We Overniter's had heard that UPS ran the tightest ship in shipping,and found out in short order that statement was oh so true.

Dang..UPS is turning drivers into robots..And not to mention those unannounced observations..Is your seatbelt on,did you use 3 point contact when you entered/exited the vehicle,did you have safety vest on,when you entered ship/rec did you use handrails when climbing stairs(if any)..And for Truckload..Did you use your cones when backing at a truckstop or customer location..Oh yeah,T/L is required to have 4 cones in their trucks..