XPO | Xpo Union Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SO what do you think is a descent wage? Wages and prices of goods and services are priced by these things. The cost to produce, demand, and govt. regs. with one of the big one being Govt regs. XPO and other carriers are now charging a California surge charge on all shipments go to or coming from California.
Your wage is set by how much they are willing to pay and what the market demand is in that job field. The more demand the higher they will be willing to pay.

Form the election to Jan 5 Obama has issued 145 "midnight" regs with a cost of more than $21 billion. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jan/5/obama-issuing-record-number-midnight-regulations/

We all over this country have felt some of the California regs like: closed shoulder tires for trucks/ low flow shower heads just to name a few.
Companies are leaving Calif. due to the number of high govt regs. The same thing is happening here on the east coast. Companies are leaving high cost of living areas just like they did in the 80 and 90 by leaving the high cost areas of the northeast and moving south.

Companies need to start treating California like another country. Run the rest of the country with normal equipment. And then set up terminals at the border in Nevada and Oregon and have the Californians come and get their freight and deal with their communist regime.

In most Teamster companies hostlers hook/break sets and fuel trucks for drivers. They are not necessarily drivers themselves. It's a different job description. And so when making up a vote at Con-way or XPO ( what the hell we are ), the pre-vote negotiation would reveal the need for all drivers to vote and then list those drivers by job description or classification. Line haul, city, full time, part time, casual and so on and detail exactly who would and would not be eligible to vote.
They are drivers who holds CDLs they just bid those positions which are full time. Your part time and casual are the same which would be good for them to vote if in contract clause are in where company would be forced to make them full time.

My post some how is in at the bottom of the quote. Expand and scroll down.
In most Teamster companies hostlers hook/break sets and fuel trucks for drivers. They are not necessarily drivers themselves. It's a different job description. And so when making up a vote at Con-way or XPO ( what the hell we are ), the pre-vote negotiation would reveal the need for all drivers to vote and then list those drivers by job description or classification. Line haul, city, full time, part time, casual and so on and detail exactly who would and would not be eligible to vote.[/QUOTE

Thanks for that Highspeeds but that wasn't what I was getting at. SereneGene was talking like drivers and hostlers were two different things which they are not. Every driver knows that and it seemed to me that he did not.

Thanks for that Highspeeds but that wasn't what I was getting at. SereneGene was talking like drivers and hostlers were two different things which they are not.

The reason I listed them separately is because they were listed as three separate groups as the voting unit on the petition. City and linehaul drivers, and hostlers. I didn't separate them, whoever filed the petition did. That's why I included the link to the NLRB case data, so you could see it for yourself.

Every driver knows that and it seemed to me that he did not.

<sigh> Yeah, yeah, I know. Must not be a driver if I don't know the difference, right? Everyone is Sherlock Holmes.

<sigh> Yeah, yeah, I know. Must not be a driver if I don't know the difference, right? Everyone is Sherlock Holmes.

I already tried reason. Maybe sarcasm will work better. I understood what you said and why, just fine.

It was Professor Plum with the lead pipe in the conservatory. Whatever.

The reason I listed them separately is because they were listed as three separate groups as the voting unit on the petition. City and linehaul drivers, and hostlers. I didn't separate them, whoever filed the petition did. That's why I included the link to the NLRB case data, so you could see it for yourself.

Trust no one Gene. It seemed odd to me, I didn't mean to offend. Have a safe trip driver wherever the road takes you.

One of the least misleading ways to say "The first official step in a LONG process to unionize."
One of my favorite quote is....
ГГГГ ...A journey of a thousand miles is started by one step....
But the way i see it is..
A journey of a thousand miles is started by one action... The action to want to start it...
That's my quote...
Now i step on foot ,Snatch the pebble and run like the wind..
Grasshopper should have done that from the get go...

I recently heard of 4 more terminals nearing petition. Time will tell.

There will be more. Some will vote yes. Others will not even vote at all. With the current atmosphere at XPO LTL being so negative and unstable it's hard to say that anyone is wrong for feeling or doing anything. We have no real guidance or direction. Other than make money. Cut everything. Make more money. Can't even blame management. They all keep quitting. Can't keep an FOS anywhere. And people that would have never panned out back in the day are moving up quickly through the ranks. If you are still holding onto a 20 freight man that knows his customers and his employees make sure he knows that you appreciate him. Few and far between now a days.

As we make our way through this I pray that everyone keep their faith and families at heart. Corporate greed can compromise personal integrity. And there ain't a dollar you can earn to buy any of it back.

One of my favorite quote is....
ГГГГ ...A journey of a thousand miles is started by one step....
But the way i see it is..
A journey of a thousand miles is started by one action... The action to want to start it...
That's my quote...
Now i step on foot ,Snatch the pebble and run like the wind..
Grasshopper should have done that from the get go...

I can tell your a mechanic. We are a bunch of truck drivers. I ain't stepping, walking or running anywhere. Let alone miles. I hold a wheel for that. And I ain't carrying no pebbles or anything else. Load it up. That's what trailers are for.

How about a more existential approach. Take the " I " out of it. Make this about a " we " or an " us ". The individual is helpless alone. But to be part of the herd there is now a great strength. And still the herd might begin a journey. And those 1000 souls might take 1000 different paths. And to find the uncommon path that all 1000 individuals in the herd would walk alone, such that they could walk it together. That takes a special moment. The stars aligning and a bunch of luck. And even after all of that, you won't finish with the 1000 you started with. And it would be ridiculous to expect that you could.

I guess what I am trying to say is that. Instead of trying to come off sounding smarter or better or righter than everyone else and convincing them to do it your way. Seek out the people that think and feel like you do. And help them to be more like you by being more like them.

There will be more. Some will vote yes. Others will not even vote at all. With the current atmosphere at XPO LTL being so negative and unstable it's hard to say that anyone is wrong for feeling or doing anything. We have no real guidance or direction. Other than make money. Cut everything. Make more money. Can't even blame management. They all keep quitting. Can't keep an FOS anywhere. And people that would have never panned out back in the day are moving up quickly through the ranks. If you are still holding onto a 20 freight man that knows his customers and his employees make sure he knows that you appreciate him. Few and far between now a days.

As we make our way through this I pray that everyone keep their faith and families at heart. Corporate greed can compromise personal integrity. And there ain't a dollar you can earn to buy any of it back.

Very well said Highspeeds probably the best summation of our situation written here. Everyone is in chasing their tails trying to help inflate that stock price so Mr Jacobs can make his grand departure with loaded pockets. I worry about the price we are all paying for this not only as a sustainable company but as individuals.

This post that I have just read is why I am glad I am gone from XPO. I hope all of you get smart and do something about Jacobs and the minions he has in charge. You all deserve better than the rat race you guys are served. Peace all.

This post that I have just read is why I am glad I am gone from XPO. I hope all of you get smart and do something about Jacobs and the minions he has in charge. You all deserve better than the rat race you guys are served. Peace all.
Not much to do about the guy that owns the company, or the people he chooses to put in power. Other than leave.

I can tell your a mechanic. We are a bunch of truck drivers. I ain't stepping, walking or running anywhere. Let alone miles. I hold a wheel for that. And I ain't carrying no pebbles or anything else. Load it up. That's what trailers are for.

How about a more existential approach. Take the " I " out of it. Make this about a " we " or an " us ". The individual is helpless alone. But to be part of the herd there is now a great strength. And still the herd might begin a journey. And those 1000 souls might take 1000 different paths. And to find the uncommon path that all 1000 individuals in the herd would walk alone, such that they could walk it together. That takes a special moment. The stars aligning and a bunch of luck. And even after all of that, you won't finish with the 1000 you started with. And it would be ridiculous to expect that you could.

I guess what I am trying to say is that. Instead of trying to come off sounding smarter or better or righter than everyone else and convincing them to do it your way. Seek out the people that think and feel like you do. And help them to be more like you by being more like them.
High i want to thank you for your comment.
I like that you took the time to take the action to respond.
By the way You drive them i fix them.. It's all about team work and actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.