XPO | Yearly tractor swaps

Coast2coast

TB Lurker
Credits
its that time of year with the damn tractor swap bullshiyt gonna be in a crappy sterling this coming year as we are losing 5 of our 8 freightliners.. Don't make sense but nothing at this place does make any sense anymore.. Smh frustrated for sure

its that time of year with the damn tractor swap bullshiyt gonna be in a crappy sterling this coming year as we are losing 5 of our 8 freightliners.. Don't make sense but nothing at this place does make any sense anymore.. Smh frustrated for sure
Took a freightliner from KC to Des Moines and came back with a refurb last night. BS!

Has anyone figured out why they do this? What causes it and what does it resolve?
We had a posting in our barn saying it has to do with keeping the right amount of miles on the truck for the year. Ex. Don't want a 5 year old truck with 200k on it. They say it's beneficial to have the newest trucks where they will get the most miles, linehaul and p&d combined, as the newer trucks cost per mile is lower and fewer break downs. They also say the save huge on maintence costs later by getting the miles on the truck earlier in its life and it's more likely to reach the 1 million mile mark at 10 years which is where we sell them

We had a posting in our barn saying it has to do with keeping the right amount of miles on the truck for the year. Ex. Don't want a 5 year old truck with 200k on it. They say it's beneficial to have the newest trucks where they will get the most miles, linehaul and p&d combined, as the newer trucks cost per mile is lower and fewer break downs. They also say the save huge on maintence costs later by getting the miles on the truck earlier in its life and it's more likely to reach the 1 million mile mark at 10 years which is where we sell them
I saw that too. It makes sense.

We have 2 trucks with a million miles in them an they aren't selling them there still gonna be ran this year.. We will have those along with 1 other freightliner so 3 2010 freightliner is all we have with 2 of them with a million miles.. Taking our 15's an 12's

We have 2 trucks with a million miles in them an they aren't selling them there still gonna be ran this year.. We will have those along with 1 other freightliner so 3 2010 freightliner is all we have with 2 of them with a million miles.. Taking our 15's an 12's
Do you guys get paid for brake downs? If so I'd take one...

Does anybody remember when we first started getting the Freightliners? People were posting on here whether or not Con-way actually bought the tractors or leased them.

Things change.

I believe that initially they lease the tractors. Then at the end of the lease there is an option to buy. If it has been a lemon they can get rid of it.

The way it was explained to us seems almost the opposite. Some of the newer trucks in the system have accumulated to many miles too quickly We were told 2011 trucks were going out and 2010s with lower miles were coming in and the guys on the longest runs were going to be running the 2010s. Manager said the company gets a tax credit of some kind to trade in the older units and they want to run the hell out of 'em before that happens. Back in 09, Our top guy was assigned an old '98 (came in as a tractor swap) on a 500+ mile run while 04 and 05 tractors were parked in the corner of the yard to slow the mile accumulation. Manager also told us after the swaps, there will be some newer trucks they will try to only use for city to also slow mileage increase.

Oldest truck put to the longest run

Someday you may be lucky enough to be a senior driver, Junior.
So don't go pi$$ing and moaning when you get stuck with the service center jalopy.

You totally don't get it just like the senior guys at my barn.

Senior guys typically bid the longer runs. According to the poster above, the longer runs should get the oldest tractor to put mileage on it. Not, I'm a senior guy I "deserve" the newest tractor(which typically means lowest mileage).

The way it was explained to us seems almost the opposite. Some of the newer trucks in the system have accumulated to many miles too quickly We were told 2011 trucks were going out and 2010s with lower miles were coming in and the guys on the longest runs were going to be running the 2010s. Manager said the company gets a tax credit of some kind to trade in the older units and they want to run the hell out of 'em before that happens. Back in 09, Our top guy was assigned an old '98 (came in as a tractor swap) on a 500+ mile run while 04 and 05 tractors were parked in the corner of the yard to slow the mile accumulation. Manager also told us after the swaps, there will be some newer trucks they will try to only use for city to also slow mileage increase.

You totally don't get it just like the senior guys at my barn.

Senior guys typically bid the longer runs. According to the poster above, the longer runs should get the oldest tractor to put mileage on it. Not, I'm a senior guy I "deserve" the newest tractor(which typically means lowest mileage).

No, I totally get it.
You stated that you "giggle like a school girl".
Is that because you like seeing senior drivers pi$$ed or having to drive the dinosaurs while a newbie that hasn't done his time gets the prize?
I understand the policy completely and why they do it.
I don't understand why some people think it's funny that a senior employee might have to sacrifice a new ride for the oldest.
Jealousy I guess or more likely the "everyone deserves a participation ribbon/trophy".

No, I totally get it.
You stated that you "giggle like a school girl".
Is that because you like seeing senior drivers pi$$ed or having to drive the dinosaurs while a newbie that hasn't done his time gets the prize?
I understand the policy completely and why they do it.
I don't understand why some people think it's funny that a senior employee might have to sacrifice a new ride for the oldest.
Jealousy I guess or more likely the "everyone deserves a participation ribbon/trophy".

I see what you're saying. The thing is though, the senior guys around my barn don't take the oldest tractors. It's totally opposite from the way the policy is explained here. The senior guys take the new trucks while the junior guys take the old trucks on short runs so they stick around for awhile like dinosaurs. Just another policy that isn't followed; the same as the other policies that don't get followed.

I don't believe the oldest truck on the longest run is supposed to be implemented year after year. We did it all of 09 and it sounds like we will do it for 2016. It seems like they want to maximize usage for the tractors that are about to be purged from the system.

The literature I was reffering to had a chart with truck years and three lines of optimal mileage maximum and minimum. Claimed trying to keep the trucks as close to that as can.

All BS as far as our barn is concerned. '15 tractors that run probably 800 miles/day going away. Will get new '16s, no one knows when. I have a nice 2010, have had a lot of stuff fixed on it, going away. Gets 400 miles daily at least. None of this makes sense as they explained what they are trying to do, other than **** DRIVERS OFF

To fast is just as bad as to slow. They try to even it out.