Yellow | "Yellow Update" From IBT 7-28-23!

Explain to me how the Teamsters are going to finish off ABF. Last time I checked, ABF ran the company and the Teamsters represented the members and the contract that was negotiated between ABF and the Teamsters. Just a few posts back (#77), you mentioned Zollars being the reason for Yellows problems, and I totally agree with that. You then turn around and blame the Teamsters for even mentioning “Strike” when you know full well that failure to meet the required contractual pension or health & welfare contributions violates Article 8, Section 3. of the Master Agreement and gives the Union the right to strike to get the company to pay up what they owe.
And before you even start with Yellow not having the $50-Million to pay it, ask yourself this. Yellow can’t afford the $50-Million, but they can afford to pay $11.00 an hour over a five year period?
And supposedly, the $11.00 an hour offer was sent to the Teamsters pretty much the same week that they claimed they could not afford to pay the $50-Million for the H&W requirement. Can you not see the hypocrisy in all of this?
Hawkins is the one to blame for this whole mess. Not O’Brien!!!
Hawkins thought he could pull a fast one while the Teamsters were coming off of negotiating the ABF contract, and right in the middle of the Teamsters still negotiating the UPS and T-Force contracts. Hawkins killed a great freight carrier and 30,000 jobs by playing games.
So, please explain to me how the Teamsters will finish off ABF!!!

Gave you a "LOVE" for this post. Not that I agree with it, just that it is well written. You ABF guys sure are touchy. After months of coming in here bashing Yellow a one sentence post questioning the wisdom of the generous recent ABF contract sets off a ::shit:: storm.

It cracks me up that some of our Teamsters think that the mere threat of a strike is to blame for Yellow's demise. Only one freight strike under the consent decree (1994 I believe) and none during the Hoffa Jr. years. Now we have a bunch of people who have never sacrificed a thing that are too afraid to take a stand no matter the price. If you haven't been there to watch a company shut the doors, then you aren't trying hard enough.
There weren't any strikes. Only concession after concession under Hoffa

Did SOB organize 22,000 new Teamsters or is it a net loss?
I don't think it'll ultimately be a net loss. I believe the UPS contract calls for additional employees (we know UPS is growing). Now, with the UPS deal done, there's leverage for the elephant in the room Amazon and it's various contractors. Also, if the UPS deal is better than some of the other large union carriers, and the Yellow group disburses there's even more opportunity.

It cracks me up that some of our Teamsters think that the mere threat of a strike is to blame for Yellow's demise. Only one freight strike under the consent decree (1994 I believe) and none during the Hoffa Jr. years. Now we have a bunch of people who have never sacrificed a thing that are too afraid to take a stand no matter the price. If you haven't been there to watch a company shut the doors, then you aren't trying hard enough.
When you have only 3 Teamster Freight companies left......time will tell if it was worth " shutting the doors"
Strikes are the last option imo.
Good negotiators shouldn't need it nor use it.
It's more hurtful than good.
We sacrificed to preserve these 30,000 jobs this many years.
The option always there to move forward at some point.

Closing the doors....is lack of negotiating skills.
And the sacrifice is permanent.
An army which just sacrificed 20,000 troops to leave less than 15,000 standing. Doesn't sound bright to me.
Sounds like Soviet tactics under Trotsky or Stalin.
Shoot your own front lines in the back if they turn around.

I'd say the brass at the IBT should start running for political office because my prediction it only goes downhill quicker from here. Leave while the public still sees them as heroes for part time workers who corporations love to have on. L
I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think it'll ultimately be a net loss. I believe the UPS contract calls for additional employees (we know UPS is growing). Now, with the UPS deal done, there's leverage for the elephant in the room Amazon and it's various contractors. Also, if the UPS deal is better than some of the other large union carriers, and the Yellow group disburses there's even more opportunity.
You're not gonna get anywhere with companies who use contractors and temp agencies and dedicated carriers under contract. That's delusional. And you're not gonna get for Amazon workers what you got for UPS. It's a stageshow smokescreen game for hype.
Amazon will just cut the contract of the organized contractor.
Nothing can stop that.

Yellow is a total disgrace. I'll go one step further. They should of changed in 09 when the trouble started. They had regional carriers all over the US and Canada that should of been sold. Could of saved themselves back then but ego or some other devious plan wouldn't allow it. This could of been their plan all along. We have no idea Hawkins motives. I do know this, they quit putting any big money into fixing equipment late last year and earlier this year. Mechanics sitting around doing nothing because they had no parts. Tractors with minor issues sitting, waiting for months to be fixed. Scraping tractors with no replacements. Drivers waiting for equipment to return. Sometimes the whole shift. We had zero sales staff at our terminal which also translates to no local customer service. No one to talk to except a TM if local accounts had problems. TM's stretched so thin they were working 80 hrs a week to stay on top. Hawkins can say whatever he wants but the actions tell the whole story. They knew this company was doomed or wanted it doomed to the point of no return.
This is what UPS Freight did before they had their fire sale!

This is what UPS Freight did before they had their fire sale!
They didn't file bankruptcy, did they?
What did happen there with them being bought.
I wasn't paying attention when they changed to TForce.

But you can see how corporations and industries have blueprints and plans of how to do things...being it bankrupting a company or whatever...UPS right to Yellow ...if what you say is true.

My thoughts is that they will now destroy the union LTL sector under the blueprints they used to destroy other Teamster industries...bulk cement...stone...tankers...dumps...and other Teamster dominated industries in the 70's.
They have blueprint and will use it.
Take out a big Teamster LTL....and the 2 smaller won't survive for long

But you can see how corporations and industries have blueprints and plans of how to do things...being it bankrupting a company or whatever...UPS right to Yellow ...if what you say is true.

My thoughts is that they will now destroy the union LTL sector under the blueprints they used to destroy other Teamster industries...bulk cement...stone...tankers...dumps...and other Teamster dominated industries in the 70's.
Take out a big Teamster LTL....and the 2 smaller won't survive for long…

No they didn’t file… was referring to the lack of maintenance and neglect of everything…

Also this is when they did the reverse strike on us when we voted down the contract! They cleared the system of freight! And in MY opinion this was their way out of the freight business, I really think they would have closed the gates for good! It became very apparent UPS didn’t want us when they were patching trucks together! Simple things like bulbs and wipers and windshield washing fluid!

Also this is when they did the reverse strike on us when we voted down the contract! They cleared the system of freight! And in MY opinion this was their way out of the freight business, I really think they would have closed the gates for good! It became very apparent UPS didn’t want us when they were patching trucks together! Simple things like bulbs and wipers and windshield washing fluid!
So Yellow had a recent example to follow.

Everyone wants to play the blame game on this but IMO all you need to do is look at Yellows history of buying companies, bleeding them dry and closing them. This so called merger was nothing other then that it just took them longer to drain holland and new penn. “ One Yellow “ was to close those companies down. you could see it a mile away. There was no merge. Who was taking the cuts ? Who was suffering the layoffs? Which companies freight was being moved into the other ? Which companies management was taken out ? They even created new follow the work rules where guys with plenty of seniority would have been out for new hires.

Sorry to say it buy this was the same old BS yellow has always pulled but this time it ended badly for Yellow and we were all the casualties.

We had a meeting at the Hall after the first concessions.
The contract was just signed not long before.
Then the BA said " Well Yellow doesn't have the money and need this to survive".

One of our guys stood up VERY ANGRILY and said...WELL WHY DID YOU SIGN IT AND LET THEM SIGN IT IF YOU KNEW THEY DIDNT HAVE THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!?
He died of cancer very shortly after that meeting.

I'll never forget that.

Although the response you give is repeated over and over....that's not what many think. It's not what all think....and I do respect your posts and opinions.

At a deal....such as with predatory Appollo....or the union signing off.,.......both parties are responsible in the deal for many families then and now.

Both knew Yellow didn't have the money then and now.

Therefore there is no excuse to hold one to affording what they can't afford.

Too many people involved.
understood however O'Brien, in his mind, knew Hawkins was FOS and was willing to see the fight thru the courts. unfortunately, IMO, this is where Sean's negotiating skills failed him & us. 11 bucks was a fallacy. anyone with common sense knows this but Sean wouldn't budge. there's plenty of blame to go around. for Sean, agree or disagree, Yellow Corp closing will have his name attached to it forever

understood however O'Brien, in his mind, knew Hawkins was FOS and was willing to see the fight thru the courts. unfortunately, IMO, this is where Sean's negotiating skills failed him & us. 11 bucks was a fallacy. anyone with common sense knows this but Sean wouldn't budge. there's plenty of blame to go around. for Sean, agree or disagree, Yellow Corp closing will have his name attached to it forever
I agree.

Everyone wants to play the blame game on this but IMO all you need to do is look at Yellows history of buying companies, bleeding them dry and closing them. This so called merger was nothing other then that it just took them longer to drain holland and new penn. “ One Yellow “ was to close those companies down. you could see it a mile away. There was no merge. Who was taking the cuts ? Who was suffering the layoffs? Which companies freight was being moved into the other ? Which companies management was taken out ? They even created new follow the work rules where guys with plenty of seniority would have been out for new hires.

Sorry to say it buy this was the same old BS yellow has always pulled but this time it ended badly for Yellow and we were all the casualties.
Combining regional and national doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially next day. Not with our system.

You're right, but somehow I think the Teamsters will get the blame anyway.
Probably. Sometimes you gotta dumb it down. Giving example after example to the point of learning them. Communication at Yellow blows. IBT should be better to communicating then just saying miserable miss management blah blah blah

Combining regional and national doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially next day. Not with our system.
They should’ve the last 20 years integrated the computer systems to one a cross the board. They should’ve used the regionals and interlined them with the national. Hell here in SLC UT we would have 20-30 trailers a day being shuttled between Reddaway and YRC.