Yellow | "Yellow Update" From IBT 7-28-23!

Combining regional and national doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially next day. Not with our system.
Obviously I’m not a business man but IMO they should have kept the companies apart to operate on their own with exception of the Yeller / roadway merge. Allowing Holland,Reddaway and NP to interline their freight into YRC when necessary.

but could have ,should have, would have isn’t worth ::shit::.

Combining regional and national doesn't seem like a good idea. Especially next day. Not with our system.
I'm guessing that companies that grow organically and who start off doing both regional and long haul can certainly operate successfully. In Yellow's situation they were trying to combine two different cultures who were often set in their own ways of doing business. I'm reasonably sure that factored into the difficulties they had when attempting to bring everything together.

I don't think it'll ultimately be a net loss. I believe the UPS contract calls for additional employees (we know UPS is growing). Now, with the UPS deal done, there's leverage for the elephant in the room Amazon and it's various contractors. Also, if the UPS deal is better than some of the other large union carriers, and the Yellow group disburses there's even more opportunity.
Absolutely agree. I’m a Reddaway guy out west. I’m caught up in this mess too. Business wise I don’t think it’ll hurt IBT to lose Yellow.

Amazon is the crown jewel next to UPS. It’s numbers not companies. Message to Amazon is look at what we got UPS.

“Yellow was dead weight because of concessions in the past. We as an organization will never give in to a company concessions again. We learned a lesson for sure. Now let’s get together and we’ll help you get nice comfortable living wages too.”

Why isn’t this a possible way of thinking. Deflecting the blame always works. Vast majority of people think with emotions not logic or their brains.

I'm guessing that companies that grow organically and who start off doing both regional and long haul can certainly operate successfully. In Yellow's situation they were trying to combine two different cultures who were often set in their own ways of doing business. I'm reasonably sure that factored into the difficulties they had when attempting to bring everything together.
Absolutely. I’ve been calling it the “Culture”. The culture needs to change. They/We couldn’t figure that out. Plus the gross bleeding of money via stupid ass bonuses lol From what I’ve learned the corporate never new how to succeed.

It was a flawed plan. They knew where they wanted go but the route they chose to get there was horrible.
they should have looked at doing the line haul and road system first to serve all the companies, then regionally which smaller terminals could be merged and so on.

a big mistake was the insecurity they made people feel along the way. At my terminal it was like everyone carried a big question mark with them, we were watching guys with some years getting laid off while a terminal a few miles away was training new guys daily.

More like 5 cultures. Not 2.

…..for Sean, agree or disagree, Yellow Corp closing will have his name attached to it forever
I disagree.

It’s one thing if Yellow had a major incident that crippled the company, such as tornadoes or Terrorism or civil outbreaks, and the Teamsters said get up and running tomorrow or we’re going to strike and shut you down ending the company.

But that didn’t happen, it was RUN into the ground for over 20 years by anyone and everyone in control of Yellow.

I understand the denial phase everyone is going through right now just looking for someone easy to blame.

Years from now, O’Brian will be thanked for ending Yellow’s misery.

Gave you a "LOVE" for this post. Not that I agree with it, just that it is well written. You ABF guys sure are touchy. After months of coming in here bashing Yellow a one sentence post questioning the wisdom of the generous recent ABF contract sets off a ::::shit:::: storm.
I don’t recall that I ever “bashed” Yellow in any way. I have bashed the management of Yellow starting with Zollars. Over paying for other companies with borrowed money just to be the biggest is a recipe for disaster IMO. He not only brought down Yellow, but Roadway, Holland, New Penn, Reddaway, and all of their subsidiaries as well.
The current, second quarter operating ratio for ABF was indeed higher than the previous years second quarter, but I don’t recall any of the major LTL carriers having an equal or better second quarter this year over last year.
2021’s and 2022’s numbers were record numbers for pretty much every LTL carrier, except for the Yellow companies due to all the debt that Zollars had saddled them with and the poor decisions made by the following management trying to get out of debt.
And, as a comparison, for the years of 2018, 2019 and 2020, ABF’s Operating Income for each of those years were around the 95 OR range and the $100-million mark in Operating Income.
So far, in just the first two quarters of 2023, the OR is averaging around a 93.6 and the Operating Income is around $91-Million with two quarters to go this year.
So, I hardly think that the ”sky is falling“ just yet on ABF.
But, stranger things have happened!!!

You don’t know enough of the story
Company didn’t want this to work & has been pre planning this for a while don’t blame the union
The company is more at fault
Exactly that’s what ups freight was doing behind the scenes for 15 years. Wasn’t until the ceo carol tome actually stated it did anyone believe it…!!

I disagree.

It’s one thing if Yellow had a major incident that crippled the company, such as tornadoes or Terrorism or civil outbreaks, and the Teamsters said get up and running tomorrow or we’re going to strike and shut you down ending the company.

But that didn’t happen, it was RUN into the ground for over 20 years by anyone and everyone in control of Yellow.

I understand the denial phase everyone is going through right now just looking for someone easy to blame.

Years from now, O’Brian will be thanked for ending Yellow’s misery.
Highly doubt anyone will praise O'Brien for ending Yellow. When people are made to be unemployed, regardless of who's at fault, it's not something to pat yourself on the back about

I don’t recall that I ever “bashed” Yellow in any way. I have bashed the management of Yellow starting with Zollars. Over paying for other companies with borrowed money just to be the biggest is a recipe for disaster IMO. He not only brought down Yellow, but Roadway, Holland, New Penn, Reddaway
I don’t recall you bashing Yeller BUT I do recall your eyes opening wider then ever a few years ago when their was a BS rumor of a possible Yellow /ABF buy out. :lmao:

So far, in just the first two quarters of 2023, the OR is averaging around a 93.6 and the Operating Income is around $91-Million with two quarters to go this year.
So, I hardly think that the ”sky is falling“ just yet on ABF.
But, stranger things have happened!!!
From the outside ABF looks to be a good company with many fine hard working people. Drivers I’ve met along my route are top of the line hope the sky never falls on them.

Everyone wants to play the blame game on this but IMO all you need to do is look at Yellows history of buying companies, bleeding them dry and closing them. This so called merger was nothing other then that it just took them longer to drain holland and new penn. “ One Yellow “ was to close those companies down. you could see it a mile away. There was no merge. Who was taking the cuts ? Who was suffering the layoffs? Which companies freight was being moved into the other ? Which companies management was taken out ? They even created new follow the work rules where guys with plenty of seniority would have been out for new hires.

Sorry to say it buy this was the same old BS yellow has always pulled but this time it ended badly for Yellow and we were all the casualties.
They were playing a game with the operating companies with the merge. Wherever the local contract/dispatch rules were favourable to them that would be the ”surviving company” for that terminal. The designated terminals with dock work were all going to be Reddaway, Holland a New Penn under their work rules while the YRC terminals were to be no dock work unless they had a Utility driver section. The follow the work rules that they proposed were never going to stand. It was a pipe dream for the company.

They were playing a game with the operating companies with the merge. Wherever the local contract/dispatch rules were favourable to them that would be the ”surviving company” for that terminal. The designated terminals with dock work were all going to be Reddaway, Holland a New Penn under their work rules while the YRC terminals were to be no dock work unless they had a Utility driver section. The follow the work rules that they proposed were never going to stand. It was a pipe dream for the company.
Wouldn't you expect any company to try and optimize any changes so as to be more beneficial to the bottom line? :duh:

Actually the destination/ dock terminals were Yellow/roadway terminals.
The UE terminals were NP terminals...excepting Maybrook which has one NPME side and 1 Yellow side.
We had UE from concession contract. Started it a few years back under a YRC COO.
Never had road work dock. UE is a local Cartage position...which might have a shorter distance limit than the Destination Dock road driver had for terminal distance.

That's right man! You showed them. There will be no road drivers working the dock at Yellow. No road drivers will be building sets at Yellow. Yellow was playing a game but you win, Congratulations!

That's right man! You showed them. There will be no road drivers working the dock at Yellow. No road drivers will be building sets at Yellow. Yellow was playing a game but you win, Congratulations!
I can’t figure out how you think I won anything, I’m just a working grunt like the others. I’m north of the border so all the crap that happened south of me was out of my control. When I ran the road we had to hook and split our own sets unless there was no yard guy in Toronto and we just dropped our power in Buffalo and Toledo and hooked to prestrung sets there. Never had to work the dock as the smaller terminals had dock guys to unload or load freight if we had a split load to carry on through to destination.

Wouldn't you expect any company to try and optimize any changes so as to be more beneficial to the bottom line? :duh:
The point of my comment was they were playing the operating companies against each other using the favourable local rules to decide which company the terminal fell under. The companies 1960 style hub and spoke system and the Unions 1950’s work rules were very much outdated and were in dire need of changing to 21st century reality. The changes on both sides were desperately needed but you can’t have it all in one shot. These changes should have been done on stretched out period but the company wanted it all at once.

They would of optimized senior men with 5 weeks plus vacation and seniority rights out the window. That was the plan. The majority of workers left would of been asking “what good was having a union”? Teamsters weren’t going to let a cancer in the industry violate what they stood for. Anyone who disagrees this company was a cancer is fooling themselves. One by one they killed the strongest union players in the LTL freight market. All viable companies. Maybe we should be making stickers of Zollars, Welch, and Hawkins with the caption I DID THAT! They did do that! The 700 million was the nail in the coffin. No coming back from it.