Yellow | "Yellow Update" From IBT 7-28-23!

The point of my comment was they were playing the operating companies against each other using the favourable local rules to decide which company the terminal fell under. The companies 1960 style hub and spoke system and the Unions 1950’s work rules were very much outdated and were in dire need of changing to 21st century reality. The changes on both sides were desperately needed but you can’t have it all in one shot. These changes should have been done on stretched out period but the company wanted it all at once.
Of course they would be changing to utilize the best rules for the company. That's what companies do. On the other hand, I do totally agree with you with about 1950's rules being outdated. It's sad that 30,000 decent jobs had to be lost because of that.

They would of optimized senior men with 5 weeks plus vacation and seniority rights out the window. That was the plan. The majority of workers left would of been asking “what good was having a union”? Teamsters weren’t going to let a cancer in the industry violate what they stood for. Anyone who disagrees this company was a cancer is fooling themselves. One by one they killed the strongest union players in the LTL freight market. All viable companies. Maybe we should be making stickers of Zollars, Welch, and Hawkins with the caption I DID THAT! They did do that! The 700 million was the nail in the coffin. No coming back from it.
A little overly dramatic aren't you? What role did Yellow play in the hundreds of unionized companies going out of business since the 1980's? The seniority issue with terminal transfers/follow the work was something that needed to be hammered out at negotiations which never happened. Tell me, how good does it feel standing for something which caused 30,000 people to become unemployed?

A little overly dramatic aren't you? What role did Yellow play in the hundreds of unionized companies going out of business since the 1980's? The seniority issue with terminal transfers/follow the work was something that needed to be hammered out at negotiations which never happened. Tell me, how good does it feel standing for something which caused 30,000 people to become unemployed?
First time I've ever been accused of being overly dramatic. Thanks. Thought I was just saying it like it is. You still believe, that's fine. All I'm saying is I witnessed the self destruction of this company first hand. Anyone who worked there witnessed it. The list is so large of the self inflicted wounds, imbeciles could of done a better job. This company was blown out at the precise time Yellow's lenders wanted it blown out. 3 years ago when they received the Covid dollars it wasn't time. Limp the company along for a couple more years with a few new tractors and trailers. 700 million was a drop in the bucket compared to what Yellow actually needed. Didn't cost Apollo anything. As a matter of fact they got the company the money with their political connections. In 2020 the company still had to much debt. 3 years and 360 million in interest later it's time to liquidate and make a tidy profit. That's what Apollo Global does. Look at their investments and the companies they owned and went under. The whole negotiation thing was a smoke screen. They knew the Teamsters would never go for a massive work rules change and seniority loss. Especially with the past bad contracts. There wasn't anything to put to a vote. .60 per hour plus relinquish your seniority rights for One Yellow? Nah wasn't going to happen no matter how dramatic anyone was. The $11 per hour? Propaganda. Apollo wasn't going for that. Hence my comment about being a cancer. Wall street barracuda's gobbled Yellow up and upper management takes their golden parachutes while the working man suffers again. Nothing dramatic about that other than 30,000 families without a job and a hand full of people making millions. Apollo thrives off the misery of others. As for an investigation? I'm sure Apollo's donated to both political parties so they have their bases covered.

Obviously I’m not a business man but IMO they should have kept the companies apart to operate on their own with exception of the Yeller / roadway merge. Allowing Holland,Reddaway and NP to interline their freight into YRC when necessary.

but could have ,should have, would have isn’t worth ::::shit::::.
Why in the world would they have all terminals take their stuff to Camp Hill, Scranton, and Maybrook to break it down, when we always broke down right off the city trucks to the destination road trucks. What a waste of time and increase in damages and made the city get out late all the time.
Where did they come up with that nonsense? Never made any sense.

Why in the world would they have all terminals take their stuff to Camp Hill, Scranton, and Maybrook to break it down, when we always broke down right off the city trucks to the destination road trucks. What a waste of time and increase in damages and made the city get out late all the time.
Where did they come up with that nonsense? Never made any sense.
Over 90% of our freight was next day delivery & that’s because of the road operation New Penn had in place

Over 90% of our freight was next day delivery & that’s because of the road operation New Penn had in place
We've had a customer every evening for the last 19 years..probably more.
Probably a money customer.
The Friday leading to the Central States strike.
I signed all the bills put each box which is a separate bill on a skid. Wrapped it. Rolled it into the nose and the boss called. He said people above said take it off the truck. I told the manager. She said no. Her upper bosses knows about the strike and knows New Penn will deliver it because it's not our areas for the strike.
She did not want to take it off.
I gave her the boss on the phone and we had to take it off.
Lousy.
Not good when a lousy company buys a good company.

We've had a customer every evening for the last 19 years..probably more.
Probably a money customer.
The Friday leading to the Central States strike.
I signed all the bills put each box which is a separate bill on a skid. Wrapped it. Rolled it into the nose and the boss called. He said people above said take it off the truck. I told the manager. She said no. Her upper bosses knows about the strike and knows New Penn will deliver it because it's not our areas for the strike.
She did not want to take it off.
I gave her the boss on the phone and we had to take it off.
Lousy.
Not good when a lousy company buys a good company.
Not surprised

This is what UPS Freight did before they had their fire sale!
Not sure that's accurate. Amazon, lately, has been under more and more pressure to deliver quicker and is reliant more and more on their deliver partners. Basically, they can't fire them all and achieve their goals. Not sure this will work, but it's going to be interesting to watch.

The 'regulated rates' were based upon the worst carriers needs to remain profitable. Everyone benefited by having poorly run carriers.
It was archaic
The real problem here was the teamsters never modernized to meet the deregulated business environment. The non union carriers are terrific at that. Note ODFL's 72 OR in a down freight market.
Perhaps the best question for today is, if your were SOB what would you do with ABF & T Force?
Modernize or do nothing and die off like every other teamster LTL carrier???
Union doesn’t tell the company how to run itself, only negotiate wages, ruck rules and benefits.

Union doesn’t tell the company how to run itself, only negotiate wages, ruck rules and benefits.
Your post contradicts itself. Don't work rules tell the company how to run itself?
I need you to work the dock. No, I'm a driver.
I need you to stay another hour to service the customer's freight. No, I can only be forced to work 2 hours OT.
I need you to take the pickup truck and deliver this time sensitive express shipment. No, I'm a dock only worker.
I need you to come in at 7am today. No, my bid says 9am.

Your post contradicts itself. Don't work rules tell the company how to run itself?
I need you to work the dock. No, I'm a driver.
I need you to stay another hour to service the customer's freight. No, I can only be forced to work 2 hours OT.
I need you to take the pickup truck and deliver this time sensitive express shipment. No, I'm a dock only worker.
I need you to come in at 7am today. No, my bid says 9am.
Why would a company, agree to those terms, hire a manager/supervisor and not educate them on the agreements, sounds like Yellow has management issues, had. Thanks

agreed upon work rules.
Money turn no’s into yes's.

Why would a company, agree to those terms, hire a manager/supervisor and not educate them on the agreements, sounds like Yellow has management issues, had. Thanks

agreed upon work rules.
Money turn no’s into yes's.
Your original post said, " Union doesn't tell the company how to run itself".
Just not true.

I'm guessing that companies that grow organically and who start off doing both regional and long haul can certainly operate successfully. In Yellow's situation they were trying to combine two different cultures who were often set in their own ways of doing business. I'm reasonably sure that factored into the difficulties they had when attempting to bring everything together.
They bought Preston to learn how to do next day and second day, started to do there own next day when they thought they had it worked out. Closed Preston and couldn’t make next day work.