XPO | You tell me which is better

Past Teamster

TB Lurker
Credits
You tell me which is better- At Con-way I get PTO days that have to be earned, benefits are a joke it cost me $60.00 a week just so I can have a co-pay & that's $2.00 plus for Dental and vision added on - that's just for myself and my wife, cost more to add the kids. Respect is nonexistent and no representation if anything happens my fault or not. The holidays are the same just about any where so no biggie on that. Get no sick days- use PTO days. They change shifts any time they want even with the new rules they put out. Don't have any runs go home don't care that you have bills. At Con-way they want you available for 24 hours a day but don't have anything stay home.

With the Teamsters I had representation, I had Respect, for $66.00 a month I had full family benefits- Med,Dental & Vision for only a $20.00 co-pay. I also had 1 to 4 weeks vacation depending on length of service, 11 sick days plus the holidays. Set bids that where changed once or twice a year and I knew when and how much of a raise I would get each year.

Keep your BBQs and the Monday donuts. If they don't want the unions in then start treating us the way they say they do, starting with Respect.

The Teamsters didn't look out for just one they looked out for every one.

You tell me which is better- At Con-way I get PTO days that have to be earned, benefits are a joke it cost me $60.00 a week just so I can have a co-pay & that's $2.00 plus for Dental and vision added on - that's just for myself and my wife, cost more to add the kids. Respect is nonexistent and no representation if anything happens my fault or not. The holidays are the same just about any where so no biggie on that. Get no sick days- use PTO days. They change shifts any time they want even with the new rules they put out. Don't have any runs go home don't care that you have bills. At Con-way they want you available for 24 hours a day but don't have anything stay home.

With the Teamsters I had representation, I had Respect, for $66.00 a month I had full family benefits- Med,Dental & Vision for only a $20.00 co-pay. I also had 1 to 4 weeks vacation depending on length of service, 11 sick days plus the holidays. Set bids that where changed once or twice a year and I knew when and how much of a raise I would get each year.

Keep your BBQs and the Monday donuts. If they don't want the unions in then start treating us the way they say they do, starting with Respect.

So...why did you leave your teamster company where you had it so great?

Most of us know what is better , every thing you said is absolutely correct. There is very few on these threads that thinks Conway hung the moon! And for the life of me I cant figure out why these people enjoy the abuse that these manager dish out! I can only assume that this is there first ltl trucking job and just don't know any better or they are completely con-washed... Must be the free BBQ and donuts.

probably because management made bad decisions and he got laid off.Oh sorry it was probably the unions fault right?

When management cannot make the right decisions due to Union rules it is the unions fault. For example do you think YRC would be in better shape and less jobs would have been lost if management could have made the cuts they did 6 month sooner? Instead of waiting for the union to vote. Just a thought. I worked at UPS as a teamster and management and I will say Too many rules on either side isn't a good thing.

On a side note I've seen some people on here complain about management not leading by example. The old school guys would jump in and help on the dock and so forth. What do you think the Unions view on that is? I'd bet they are 100% against management doing and teamster work. They would rather you work 14 hours and have the freight run late then have work taken from a union member. Just a though say whatever you will.

Most of us know what is better , every thing you said is absolutely correct. There is very few on these threads that thinks Conway hung the moon! And for the life of me I cant figure out why these people enjoy the abuse that these manager dish out! I can only assume that this is there first ltl trucking job and just don't know any better or they are completely con-washed... Must be the free BBQ and donuts.

Everybody keeps talking about the BBQs and doughnuts. Why do I not see them?

When management cannot make the right decisions due to Union rules it is the unions fault. For example do you think YRC would be in better shape and less jobs would have been lost if management could have made the cuts they did 6 month sooner? Instead of waiting for the union to vote. Just a thought. I worked at UPS as a teamster and management and I will say Too many rules on either side isn't a good thing.

On a side note I've seen some people on here complain about management not leading by example. The old school guys would jump in and help on the dock and so forth. What do you think the Unions view on that is? I'd bet they are 100% against management doing and teamster work. They would rather you work 14 hours and have the freight run late then have work taken from a union member. Just a though say whatever you will.

We already have way too many (inconsistent) rules at Conway and the Union is but a glimmer in the eyes.

Whats going to happen is---a couple of locations will get representation and all the haters will then become lovers..it will take a while but will happen eventually.

Ok, so why are you no longer with the union? Maybe the company you were with went belly-up?

Oh, and btw; in a union senority is everything. If you are a junior driver you will be the first to be let go.

If you really want to be with the union you have lots of companies to choose from; go there is nothing stopping you but don't screw up my company!

looks like a NO-BRAINER,sign the cards boys,of course the BRAINDEAD would argue for less pay,worse benefits,higher premiums,go figure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was laid off after 19 plus years at DHL/Airborne express. The Union didn't lay me off but when a company lays off 2500 drivers from 10 different station and shuts them down there really not much they can do. This was just my Local 295 in NY,now in Wilmington Ohio they shut down a whole town and most of them where not Teamsters. So go ahead say it was the Unions but you better read up on it first, it was all over the news pal. DHL is the company that tried to take on UPS & Fed-Ex and through mismanagement, they underbid and over spent to the tune of 5 billion a year loss for 5 years or better. In my opinion.Wait a minute, yea that's it the Unions caused it. But wait it get even better they are getting back into the package delivery services be it may they are going at it in smaller steps now. But yea the Unions caused it. Do some home work and a little research to get your facts right.

Hey don't worry I can't screw up what YOUR company already has. And thats what senority is all about when manigment needs to cut thats why they call it Union Senority but if they start to hire again you better belive the Unions will be there to get YOUR job back.

Ok, so why are you no longer with the union? Maybe the company you were with went belly-up?

Oh, and btw; in a union senority is everything. If you are a junior driver you will be the first to be let go.

If you really want to be with the union you have lots of companies to choose from; go there is nothing stopping you but don't screw up my company!

No, it is OUR company and I would appreciate it if you would stop allowing them to squash OUR compensation.

I worked at UPS as a teamster and management and I will say Too many rules on either side isn't a good thing.

Absolute agreement about your observations. I've been on all three sides of this; a Teamster, Management (both union and non), as well as a service contractor providing service to both Union and nons alike. I probably visit more terminals and carriers in a month than many will see in a lifetime.
I'd gladly give up a couple of bucks an hour to be treated like an appreciated and respected employee. To work in an enviorment where it isn't us vs. them. To work in an enviroment where I will get rewarded based on merit, not the date I was hired.

Others may choose to have a few extra bucks, a bit better benefit package, but what do they get in exchange? 90+% of them are probably pissed off on their way to work and most of the way through the day! Going to spend 2000 hours a year for 30 years in a crappy environment in exchange for a few bucks? What a waste.

SC freight dont understand your argument Union Medical, Senority, Start times in stone, Retirement guarenteed full weeks pay when frt given to cartage(outside contractor) Thats what you sound like. All these bennies plus, for $52/mo Union dues plus time and a half after 8 It's your call! Probably pay less than most pay in a week Good Luck whatever tou guy's decide Just Talk to us TEAMSTERS we are not bad people

Absolute agreement about your observations. I've been on all three sides of this; a Teamster, Management (both union and non), as well as a service contractor providing service to both Union and nons alike. I probably visit more terminals and carriers in a month than many will see in a lifetime.
I'd gladly give up a couple of bucks an hour to be treated like an appreciated and respected employee. To work in an enviorment where it isn't us vs. them. To work in an enviroment where I will get rewarded based on merit, not the date I was hired.

Others may choose to have a few extra bucks, a bit better benefit package, but what do they get in exchange? 90+% of them are probably pissed off on their way to work and most of the way through the day! Going to spend 2000 hours a year for 30 years in a crappy environment in exchange for a few bucks? What a waste.

A couple of bucks?

Two bucks an hour is another $110 in a 50 hour week IF you get OT after 40 hrs. That's over $5500/yr.

My health insurance costs $60/mo. That's over $3000/yr. Think my premiums won't go up? I'll answer that for you. - They will. I pray I don't need this insurance because it is NOT what it used to be, but if I do, how many thousand$ could that lead to?

My pension will be $2400/mo less then what I was sold to come work here. That is $28,800.00/yr! Easy math; $288,000.00 in just ten short years of retirement.All gone.

Pretty soon a couple of bucks adds up.​

I'll take some of that crappy environment. Am not a truck driver because of some spiritual calling or to help mankind. I am here to provide.

SC freight dont understand your argument Union Medical, Senority, Start times in stone, Retirement guarenteed full weeks pay when frt given to cartage(outside contractor) Thats what you sound like. All these bennies plus, for $52/mo Union dues plus time and a half after 8 It's your call! Probably pay less than most pay in a week Good Luck whatever tou guy's decide Just Talk to us TEAMSTERS we are not bad people

I didn't mean to imply that Teamsters are bad people. I'm saying the typical Teamster workplace environment is not one that is worth the few extra bucks and bennies to me. FWIW I am not a cartage guy, rather a service provider to many LTL carriers, not much different from the guy who services your radios, fuel, uniforms or vending machines, except all my clients are LTL carriers and LTL knowledge is crucial to provide the services I provide.

A couple of bucks?

<snip>Pretty soon a couple of bucks adds up.

I'll take some of that crappy environment. Am not a truck driver because of some spiritual calling or to help mankind. I am here to provide.

Understood, and yes a "couple of bucks" was not literal rather my take that it doesn't add up to much relative to the trade-off.

Over a 30 year career you stand to make a couple million dollars, so in the whole scheme of things a few hundred K isn't worth being miserable for 1/3 of your life, not to me at least. Why don't you eat top ramen everyday, drive a 1984 Yugo, live in a 1bd apartment, never take a vacation, never go fishing, camping or to a ball game? Because there is a price we are all willing to pay to be happy.

I was laid off after 19 plus years at DHL/Airborne express. The Union didn't lay me off but when a company lays off 2500 drivers from 10 different station and shuts them down there really not much they can do. This was just my Local 295 in NY,now in Wilmington Ohio they shut down a whole town and most of them where not Teamsters. So go ahead say it was the Unions but you better read up on it first, it was all over the news pal. DHL is the company that tried to take on UPS & Fed-Ex and through mismanagement, they underbid and over spent to the tune of 5 billion a year loss for 5 years or better. In my opinion.Wait a minute, yea that's it the Unions caused it. But wait it get even better they are getting back into the package delivery services be it may they are going at it in smaller steps now. But yea the Unions caused it. Do some home work and a little research to get your facts right.
THESE GUYS ARE PROGRAMMED THAT UNIONS ARE THE DEVIL,THEY RUIN EVERYTHING,THAT'S 2 EXAMPLES OF MISMANAGED COMPANIES THAT RUINED THEMSELVES,NOTHING TO DO WITH THE UNION.oops cap lock on.anyway on a side note ,when we bought cfi,our hr guy and scm told me that we got a$ 500 million loan from dhl for the purchase,ever hear of that?

I didn't mean to imply that Teamsters are bad people. I'm saying the typical Teamster workplace environment is not one that is worth the few extra bucks and bennies to me. FWIW I am not a cartage guy, rather a service provider to many LTL carriers, not much different from the guy who services your radios, fuel, uniforms or vending machines, except all my clients are LTL carriers and LTL knowledge is crucial to provide the services I provide Understood, and yes a "couple of bucks" was not literal rather my take that it doesn't add up to much relative to the trade-off.

Over a 30 year career you stand to make a couple million dollars, so in the whole scheme of things a few hundred K isn't worth being miserable for 1/3 of your life, not to me at least. Why don't you eat top ramen everyday, drive a 1984 Yugo, live in a 1bd apartment, never take a vacation, never go fishing, camping or to a ball game? Because there is a price we are all willing to pay to be happy.

The typical Teamster workplace environment? Maybe you hear more complaining at the "typical Teamster workplace" because they are not afraid of being called into the office with one or more managers and being berated, and threatened for talking bad about their "workplace environment". Yes it does happen at Conway. I don't believe your LTL knowledge is all that extensive. We hear complaining all the time, but it's done to each other, not some outside vendor that will go to management with his findings trying to get an extra feather in his cap for business.

After a 30 year career with the Teamsters you stand to make $3,000+/month. Most drivers I talk to here are miserable from time to time, as they are at every LTL company but they have no recourse at Conway when things get worse. You are right though, there is a price some of us are willing to pay to be happy(er).