XPO | You tell me which is better

Absolute agreement about your observations. I've been on all three sides of this; a Teamster, Management (both union and non), as well as a service contractor providing service to both Union and nons alike. I probably visit more terminals and carriers in a month than many will see in a lifetime.
I'd gladly give up a couple of bucks an hour to be treated like an appreciated and respected employee. To work in an enviorment where it isn't us vs. them. To work in an enviroment where I will get rewarded based on merit, not the date I was hired.

Others may choose to have a few extra bucks, a bit better benefit package, but what do they get in exchange? 90+% of them are probably pissed off on their way to work and most of the way through the day! Going to spend 2000 hours a year for 30 years in a crappy environment in exchange for a few bucks? What a waste.
wow the union shops are so horrible. us vs. them , not appreciated or respected, what a crappy work environment. but i noticed that really sounds like conway you just forgot a few things, like seniority not meaning much, dsr's working 14 hour days, weekly insurance payments, loi given out for the least little things,i could keep going but all i'm doing is getting madder with each key stroke... so i'll take a couple more bucks an hour and a better benefit package and a pension, since i already work in a crappy work environment i mite as well get paid for it !!!

you have not been to tulsa, i come in from p&d and if our senior drivers have to work the dock oh my gosh thats not happening, they are better than that and thats grunt work ,heck i bet they cant even turn on the handheld, safestack forget it they think those bars hanging from the ceiling are support bars.

Ok, so why are you no longer with the union? Maybe the company you were with went belly-up?

Oh, and btw; in a union senority is everything. If you are a junior driver you will be the first to be let go.

If you really want to be with the union you have lots of companies to choose from; go there is nothing stopping you but don't screw up my company!
wow I remember when I used to say"my company".......and meant it...

Paraphrased from 1st Q 2011 10 k.....1st Q capital expenditures were 58.4 mil vs 16.1 in 2010. Increased expenditures were due primarily to the acquisition of tractor equipment at truckload segment......Conway anticipates capital and software expenditures of about 300 mil in 2011. Tax legislation enacted in December 2010 will allow conway to deduct a substantial portion of 2011 expenditures in 2011. Eveyone really should take the time to read the 2011 proxy statement and 2011 10k statements. They are public information and easy to find on the web. Lots of mumbo jumbo lawyer talk but concentrate on the numbers and you just may be shocked.

Blue67 say it ain't so not 400 mil you must have read it wrong they wouldn't lie. LMAO they said in the vid just ask them.the truth will set you free My side hurt's from LMAO so stop it I cant take any more.

no cookouts what's that all about we just had one last week & we still get doughnuts every thrs. thats why we don't need a raise lamo.

It just sickens me to read these sec filings and see our throats get cut for their capital gain. I've been looking at this stuff for years and it isn't anything new. For me personally enough is enough and ready to move on after nearly 15 years. I really thought this would be the place I retired from but they've burned me so much I'm ready to get completely away from trucking and I've been doing it since I was 21.

A couple of bucks?

Two bucks an hour is another $110 in a 50 hour week IF you get OT after 40 hrs. That's over $5500/yr.

My health insurance costs $60/mo. That's over $3000/yr. Think my premiums won't go up? I'll answer that for you. - They will. I pray I don't need this insurance because it is NOT what it used to be, but if I do, how many thousand$ could that lead to?

My pension will be $2400/mo less then what I was sold to come work here. That is $28,800.00/yr! Easy math; $288,000.00 in just ten short years of retirement.All gone.

Pretty soon a couple of bucks adds up.​

I'll take some of that crappy environment. Am not a truck driver because of some spiritual calling or to help mankind. I am here to provide.

Now your just making up numbers. Go back and re-read your post.

The typical Teamster workplace environment? Maybe you hear more complaining at the "typical Teamster workplace" because they are not afraid of being called into the office with one or more managers and being berated, and threatened for talking bad about their "workplace environment". Yes it does happen at Conway. I don't believe your LTL knowledge is all that extensive.

I believe I hear more because I'm an outsider there providing a service who has formed a relationship with many of these folks over the years. Combine that with the fact that I have some commonality with many of these folks and I don't go repeating what I hear. You have no idea what my LTL knowledge is or how many companies I've worked for nor how many different docks I've been to.

Take a typical 25 year p&d guy....how many different shipping and receiving docks do you think he's been to in his career? Do you think he has a pretty casual relationship with any of his regulars? Do you think he has a pretty good idea of what places would be crappy to work for and which ones might be a bit better? You think he runs into the office whenever he hears someone complaining about their environment? Think he ever sees a boss come out to the dock and treat the shipping guys with respect? Think he ever sees some a-hole come storming out on the dock, belittle the guy in front of him and then strut back into his a/c office?

I believe I hear more because I'm an outsider there providing a service who has formed a relationship with many of these folks over the years. Combine that with the fact that I have some commonality with many of these folks and I don't go repeating what I hear. You have no idea what my LTL knowledge is or how many companies I've worked for nor how many different docks I've been to.

Take a typical 25 year p&d guy....how many different shipping and receiving docks do you think he's been to in his career? Do you think he has a pretty casual relationship with any of his regulars? Do you think he has a pretty good idea of what places would be crappy to work for and which ones might be a bit better? You think he runs into the office whenever he hears someone complaining about their environment? Think he ever sees a boss come out to the dock and treat the shipping guys with respect? Think he ever sees some a-hole come storming out on the dock, belittle the guy in front of him and then strut back into his a/c office?
"Think he ever sees some a-hole come storming out on the dock, belittle the guy in front of him and then strut back into his a/c office?" ummm yeah, never seen that before at Conway lololololol. "formed a relationship with many of these folks over the years. " what folks? the drivers or the management part that pay your bill? and since you're so proud of it, what is your knowledge of ltl, and how many docks have you been on? what exactly do you do if you're not a driver/dock worker?

No, it is OUR company and I would appreciate it if you would stop allowing them to squash OUR compensation.

YOUR compensation; like the $18 an hour that Yellow Brick Roadway is getting now? I just got paid this am, I think my hourly rate was $23. Do you REALLY want union rates? If so; go over to YRC and take the pay cut.

Do you remember what happened with Eastern? The one of the 3 that bought a union company? It folded because it could not make a profit with a union.

I have about 15 yrs before I can retire; I don't want MY company that I chose in part because it WAS NOT union to go belly up before then. I have been there and done that. I don't need to do it again.

wow the union shops are so horrible. us vs. them , not appreciated or respected, what a crappy work environment. but i noticed that really sounds like conway you just forgot a few things, like seniority not meaning much, dsr's working 14 hour days, weekly insurance payments, loi given out for the least little things,i could keep going but all i'm doing is getting madder with each key stroke... so i'll take a couple more bucks an hour and a better benefit package and a pension, since i already work in a crappy work environment i mite as well get paid for it !!!

A couple more bucks an hour? Have you talked to YRC driver lately? They still are operating under the 15% cut I think that means $18/hr. Last I checked (this am) I'm over $23.

SC freight dont understand your argument Union Medical, Senority, Start times in stone, Retirement guarenteed full weeks pay when frt given to cartage(outside contractor) Thats what you sound like. All these bennies plus, for $52/mo Union dues plus time and a half after 8 It's your call! Probably pay less than most pay in a week Good Luck whatever tou guy's decide Just Talk to us TEAMSTERS we are not bad people[/QUOTE

Retirement GUARANTEED? Excuse me, but YRC has not had a contribution it their pension in years....

A couple more bucks an hour? Have you talked to YRC driver lately? They still are operating under the 15% cut I think that means $18/hr. Last I checked (this am) I'm over $23.
they were at $19.66 an hour, plus a cost os living raise brings them to $20.46 an hour plus overtime over 8, not to mention they pay nothing for their medical weekly. they do pay 2 and a half times their hourly rate in union dues per month which is between $50 to $60 a month. so whos bringing home the bigger paycheck you or them ? do the math...

You tell me which is better- At Con-way I get PTO days that have to be earned, benefits are a joke it cost me $60.00 a week just so I can have a co-pay & that's $2.00 plus for Dental and vision added on - that's just for myself and my wife, cost more to add the kids. Respect is nonexistent and no representation if anything happens my fault or not. The holidays are the same just about any where so no biggie on that. Get no sick days- use PTO days. They change shifts any time they want even with the new rules they put out. Don't have any runs go home don't care that you have bills. At Con-way they want you available for 24 hours a day but don't have anything stay home.

With the Teamsters I had representation, I had Respect, for $66.00 a month I had full family benefits- Med,Dental & Vision for only a $20.00 co-pay. I also had 1 to 4 weeks vacation depending on length of service, 11 sick days plus the holidays. Set bids that where changed once or twice a year and I knew when and how much of a raise I would get each year.

Keep your BBQs and the Monday donuts. If they don't want the unions in then start treating us the way they say they do, starting with Respect.

The Teamsters didn't look out for just one they looked out for every one.

BTW, at our terminal the donuts are on Fridays, not Mondays. Are you sure you are a Conway driver and not some union thug posing? Oh, and I don't think the family plan costs more to add kids. It costs more if your wife has health insurance but does not take it; which makes sense. It costs more if you have your wife and kids on it than if you are single w/o dependents (as it should). I am really thinking that you are a poser; your arguments don't add up.

If you do really work for Conway and are soooo unhappy here; why don't you find another company where you will be happy? I did that. When TLC went under due to the union (and an ******* owner) I stayed with the company that bought it until I decided that they would not come up with health coverage. Then I went to Conway.

If you are not happy here; go and find someplace where you will be!