XPO | Youre Fired

president award winner, quarterly award winner, driving champion, moved his family from chicago to start xlq, runs polar bear plunge for charity, drove a set for special olympics charity, donates personal time at terminal to help new guys learn to work on the dock. always donates his personal time in winter to teach new guys winter driving chains etc. He is the leader of xlq.An all around great guy and got screwed for 13 minutes of theft of time. but its okay for him to donate hours of his personal time for this company and thats the thanks they gave him. Imagine what they will do to us regular guys. Conway could care less about us. They just use and abuse thier employees and at the drop of a hat or the slightest thing you do wrong your gone.
He screwed himself.

president award winner, quarterly award winner, driving champion, moved his family from chicago to start xlq, runs polar bear plunge for charity, drove a set for special olympics charity, donates personal time at terminal to help new guys learn to work on the dock. always donates his personal time in winter to teach new guys winter driving chains etc. He is the leader of xlq.An all around great guy and got screwed for 13 minutes of theft of time. but its okay for him to donate hours of his personal time for this company and thats the thanks they gave him. Imagine what they will do to us regular guys. Conway could care less about us. They just use and abuse thier employees and at the drop of a hat or the slightest thing you do wrong your gone.

Seems like they were looking for a reason to get rid of this guy. Is there something we don't know? Did he get hurt a lot? Any work-comp claims?

44 years in trucking,stealling,is stealling.
Stealling has always been a reason to be fired wherever you work.
I know a Teamster member when I was a Teamster that saw an open bag of candy from a damaged box when he was unloading a inbound trailer.
If he asked he may of been ok,and his company may of just wrote this broken box off on a claim.
But he helped himself without asking,someone blew him in,and he was given the old heave oh,out the door.
He can thank the union for getting his job back for such a small thing.
But he did miss out on some days off without pay.

So as it turned out it was mighty expensive candy.

But the bottom line is when you take something that doesn't belong to you,this term is called (STEALLING).
Stealling gets you a ticket out the door with no questions asked.
Time cheating also comes under the heading of stealling.
Anything thats not yours in the first place is stealling if you think you should have it without paying for it,or offering a service to get it.
Just the facts of life,theres a lot of prisons filled with people that don't happen to agree with this way of conducting business.

:Violin: :Violin: :Violin: xlq driver fired for taking a lunch break on the clock at xhg during pride week ,might not have been a big deal since he has been doing this for over 10 years that i know of but dont claim pay time for it when the SCM is watching you 17 yr guy too :smilie_132:

The story I heard is that he had two loads ready when he got there, so they turned him. He proceeded to eat lunch while he was on dock time (which he never should have been on.) When they questioned how he got 17 or some odd minutes on the dock when he was supposed to be a T&B, that's when they bagged him for stealing time.

I guess it's all in what version you hear.

Remember: Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see.

thats too bad,

I feel for the guy if we were organized he would have a fair shot at getting his job back

I feel for the guy if we were organized he would have a fair shot at getting his job back
Why should he have a shot at getting his job back? He screwed himself fair and square. That is one of the many things I can't stand about the other organization. Let’s give the poor man a chance to get his job back. LOL

Why should he have a shot at getting his job back? He screwed himself fair and square. That is one of the many things I can't stand about the other organization. Let’s give the poor man a chance to get his job back. LOL

well MR smucker how do you know it was fair and square?? Where you there? I bet not. you probably read it on here just like I did. Will you feel the same way when it`s you? Yeah I know you are too smart just like me. But if they want you gone they will find away.The big shots want you and me and a seventeen year guy gone because a new guy is much cheaper. Nevermind the fact he can not load a trailer the right way. Or lacks the intensity required of the job.People that think they are safe in this company do not live in reality. Luckily there is a fed ex real close hiring too( not just for me and you but for all of us).

I feel for the guy but stealing time is stealing time. The difference between him and most doing the same thing is documentation. About 10 years ago we had a great guy out of our barn running xcn nightly. While waiting in line to fuel (filling in his time sheet) he became impatient and decided to fuel on the way out. However he forgot and continued home. The city driver sharing the tractor assumed the tractor was fueled at reship and didn't check it during his pre-trip. He ran out of fuel that evening and this started the whole investigation. Long story short... the linehaul driver never stole any time, but recorded what was actually dock time as fuel time. But, was fired for stealing time anyway. Letters to corporate by more than a dozen drivers as character witnesses made little difference.

well MR smucker how do you know it was fair and square?? Where you there? I bet not. you probably read it on here just like I did. Will you feel the same way when it`s you? Yeah I know you are too smart just like me. But if they want you gone they will find away.The big shots want you and me and a seventeen year guy gone because a new guy is much cheaper. Nevermind the fact he can not load a trailer the right way. Or lacks the intensity required of the job.People that think they are safe in this company do not live in reality. Luckily there is a fed ex real close hiring too( not just for me and you but for all of us).
It's one thing to be targeted for termination and it's another thing to risk an $80000/year job for $5.00. If these are the facts then greed, arrogance, or stupidity got him. Press on

If they made a habit of firing guys for stealing time I could move up the board,even though I'm not at the bottom of the board (hell I'm above the middle of the board) every little bit counts.

According to my NMFA contract supplement, it says,

although theft of time is considered a serious offense, it is not however a cause for termination.

Now, you also have to remember that everything has it's own interpretations. We had a guy on my job that was fired for theft, simply because it was not his first offense. If what I have read here is true, and this man has been doing this for a considerable amount of time, even in an organized world, he may still have lost his job. The guy on my job has been gone for over a year now and has no chance of coming back, the fact being he was a repeat offender.

If they made a habit of firing guys for stealing time I could move up the board,even though I'm not at the bottom of the board (hell I'm above the middle of the board) every little bit counts.
Don't worry the bottom feeders,are waiting to move up in your spot.

Of course I do not know the facts as I was not there. I am going under the assumption that he indeed did do something like he was terminated for. I am going under this assumption BECAUSE I am somewhat a senior DSR and I see hundreds and hundreds of dollars stolen every week this very same way. If they want you gone ,it would be very obvious real quick and if you know this and have any kind of smarts you would be very ,very hard to get rid of .Similar to the other organization I mentioned. In a factory type job or any office type job yes a new hire replacing an old timer is a great move. In the LTL industry where good or kind of good or just plain help is next to impossible to find you don’t go replacing people to save a few bucks. We in the LTL world are a little different than most jobs. People who work ANYWHERE in the world nowadays who think they are safe do not live in reality .My hook or drop time is between twenty five to forty minuets each time . I put down twenty minutes, why? I can take my time and do the hook or drop without being rushed and if I should talk to someone or use the men’s room I don’t get caught for stealing time and secondly I’m not fixated with being on the clock every minuet of the night. (I’m not greedy) For me UPS Freight or R&L will do just fine. After all! They are all the same to me . $77,500 or $81,400 or $72,600 per year. I live in the real world I work for Con-Way Freight I make $70,000 per year I don’t compare my wages with UPS or Yellow ECT.ECT. Just one more thing If I get caught smoking between trailers or write down twenty minutes for a five minuet fuel and get caught and fired I won’t come crying to you or anyone else looking for my job back. Me and my wife will kick me in the *** and I will move on. That is called responsible for your own actions.

Damn, you mean to tell me we can't go to the bathroom on company time? Upon return from my line-haul run I punch the clock, go to the bathroom and then do what I need to do to put the trailers away. Is that considered stealing time? Is there a written list of what is and is not premitted during this time, or any other time for that matter?
I understand that unpaid pre and post trips are explained by the company by them saying it's required service by the DOT. Does this mean that if the DOT didn't require the equipment to be inspected for safe highway operation that Con-way wouldn't require it either? That would seem to go against the first core value....wouldn't it? Maybe I just don't see the big picture.

Rule # 8
NO posting Union discussion in Non-Union Company Forums

Mr Smucker, please keep your blinders on and be responsible for your own actions, but if you don't want to be concerned with what other carriers are paying their drivers then I guess CON-WAY kool-aid is working. AS Mexican drivers rally to take our livelihood down a few notches I think one would be a little concerned about how wages will reflect this cheap labor on the horizon! Wages and benefit packages change constantly and if you're going to be ignorant or naive about that then don't try and discourage others from discovering what a fair wage for a CDL driver should be. CON-WAY is not, I repeat NOT the only carrier to pay as well as they do. Stealing time is so vague and general that it's just another intimidation scheme that you bought into. Do your job and they will still be creative as ever to find a way to terminate one. How about the company stealing time from it's employees waiting for loads at home terminal without punching in.Or the classic dispatched short on hours and waiting to be picked up from a run that couldn't be made. As you see this can go anyway a person wants it to go!

Mr Smucker, please keep your blinders on and be responsible for your own actions, but if you don't want to be concerned with what other carriers are paying their drivers then I guess CON-WAY kool-aid is working. AS Mexican drivers rally to take our livelihood down a few notches I think one would be a little concerned about how wages will reflect this cheap labor on the horizon! Wages and benefit packages change constantly and if you're going to be ignorant or naive about that then don't try and discourage others from discovering what a fair wage for a CDL driver should be. CON-WAY is not, I repeat NOT the only carrier to pay as well as they do. Stealing time is so vague and general that it's just another intimidation scheme that you bought into. Do your job and they will still be creative as ever to find a way to terminate one. How about the company stealing time from it's employees waiting for loads at home terminal without punching in.Or the classic dispatched short on hours and waiting to be picked up from a run that couldn't be made. As you see this can go anyway a person wants it to go!

What???? Mr Smucker, please keep your blinders on and be responsible for your own actions, but if you don't want to be concerned with what other carriers are paying their drivers then I guess CON-WAY kool-aid is working. AS Mexican drivers rally to take our livelihood down a few notches I think one would be a little concerned about how wages will reflect this cheap labor on the horizon! Wages and benefit packages change constantly and if you're going to be ignorant or naive about that then don't try and discourage others from discovering what a fair wage for a CDL driver should be. CON-WAY is not, I repeat NOT the only carrier to pay as well as they do. Don't have any idea what this has to do with anything I was talking about??????? Sorry mister if they are after you and you know it, it is next to "Impossible" to fire you . Keep a paper trail. Sorry for trying to explain it to you You don't get it. Or the classic dispatched short on hours and waiting to be picked up from a run that couldn't be made. At Con-Way Central we get paid for running short .It's called cushion time. And your last sentence I agree :smilie_132:

We get paid cushion time on the left coast also. Plain and simple if you follow the rules you wont get fired. At any other job you have to punch out for lunch. I'm not trying to be a brownnower but its not like the company did anything wrong.