Yellow | YRC Code of Conduct Booklet

In between snow shoveling [9 in.] and watching the Bears and Lions game, I just gotta ask. What is this all about. Only hourly's in Hsbg. were asked to sign this. Just give me the Reader's Digest version of what is so egregious in this Document. I never heard of it before this thread.
:shift:

IMO it's a tempest in a teapot. Like a warning letter you refuse to sign. It's all about knowledge, if you refuse to sign you still have knowledge. Most of it involves ethical decisions. Of which Teamsters will have NO input or control.
http://www.yrcw.com/corporategovernance/code_of_business_conduct.pdf
There's the link.

In between snow shoveling [9 in.] and watching the Bears and Lions game, I just gotta ask. What is this all about. Only hourly's in Hsbg. were asked to sign this. Just give me the Reader's Digest version of what is so egregious in this Document. I never heard of it before this thread.

My whole issue with it was: What exactly am I signing?
1. Am I signing that I agree to be bound by what it contains (considering that I was NOT allowed to read it)?
2. Am I signing that I received a copy of it?
3. Am I just signing that I know this book exists?
The sheet that we were asked to sign simply said "YRC Code of Conduct Handbook".

A little about me: I have been fired many times for things I did that I should have known better (I was 20 yrs old, young and dumb when I hired on with Yellow Freight), and thankfully there was a local union there for the grievance process. Management tried to fire me once for having freight fall from a lift-gate (it was later discovered that I had received NO TRAINING on said equipment). I have seen hostlers get fired for refusing to pull a trailer away from the dock to hook it for line-haul, then it later came to light that he had been disqualified from dock hostling.

I do my best every day to conduct myself professionally, be it with supervisors, co-workers or what customers we have left.

BUT- I WILL NOT SIGN SOMETHING that is CRAMMED in my face by a stuttering, stammering supervisor who won't even listen to employees' questions about their job or their legitimate safety concerns.
We see people get hurt, and what does this company do? Write them a warning letter for not maintaining a clean work environment

Respect is a TWO WAY street. If my employer wants it, it's about #&(*^*%% time they show it.

1. Am I signing that I agree to be bound by what it contains (considering that I was NOT allowed to read it)?
The sheet that we were asked to sign simply said "YRC Code of Conduct Handbook".

A little about me: I have been fired many times for things I did that I should have known better (I was 20 yrs old, young and dumb when I hired on with Yellow Freight), and thankfully there was a local union there for the grievance process. Management tried to fire me once for having freight fall from a lift-gate (it was later discovered that I had received NO TRAINING on said equipment). I have seen hostlers get fired for refusing to pull a trailer away from the dock to hook it for line-haul, then it later came to light that he had been disqualified from dock hostling.

I do my best every day to conduct myself professionally, be it with supervisors, co-workers or what customers we have left.

BUT- I WILL NOT SIGN SOMETHING that is CRAMMED in my face by a stuttering, stammering supervisor who won't even listen to employees' questions about their job or their legitimate safety concerns.
We see people get hurt, and what does this company do? Write them a warning letter for not maintaining a clean work environment

Respect is a TWO WAY street. If my employer wants it, it's about #&(*^*%% time they show it.

Ok then. So your refusal to sign it was based on the fact that you weren't given the opportunity to read all 29 pages, more so than the content. I just read the first 9, it's like watching grass grow, it's a lot of blah, blah, blah. I'm sure that if I had breached their CODE, they would have informed me by now.
One of our Switcher's told me he refused to sign it, I asked him what did they do then, he said not a thing. We haven't heard a word about it in Relay, maybe they gave up.

I rest my case.

Ok then. So your refusal to sign it was based on the fact that you weren't given the opportunity to read all 29 pages, more so than the content. I just read the first 9, it's like watching grass grow, it's a lot of blah, blah, blah. I'm sure that if I had breached their CODE, they would have informed me by now.
One of our Switcher's told me he refused to sign it, I asked him what did they do then, he said not a thing. We haven't heard a word about it in Relay, maybe they gave up.

The publication of a code of conduct is required by the New York Stock Exchange for all companies listed on the exchange. It comes from SEC regulations that were first published in 2002 for executive level employees only. The NYSE required code of conduct for all employees. It's strictly a regulatory thing all public companies have to do if they are traded on the NYSE. Some of you need to educate yourselves a little bit. If you're here on TB you obviously have Internet access. Try using Google once in a while and investigate for yourselves.

The fact that some have already refused to sign refutes your post.if it was that important they would be fired if the co.had a leg to stand on. If this has not been reviewed by the union it gives you the right to refuse to sign.

Many..Many.Many. Many LIKES for ya driver.. Nice goin'..:clapping::clapping::clapping:

I thought it was quite amusing that our TM acknowledged that no one had to sign for that rag. They learned a good lesson the prior week when a former Teamster turned company safety man heard these words from a grizzled Steward in attendance of his safety demonstrations. "They don't have to sign ****!" :D

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I have looked at this booklet online, and yes, I even read it. I don't even have many questions about it, to me it is more of corporate language than anything else.

HOWEVER, why was it SO important that I HAD TO SIGN IT THEN AND THERE, yet none of our union stewards had any idea what it was? I have my own personal opinion on why, but that doesn't matter. What matters to me is, why do I HAVE to sign anything. If this company had any respect for its workers, they would be safe to assume that said workers would not be in danger of doing something that would be completely against this handbook.

When Hoffa, Jr., Tyson and Hall have signed off on it, I MIGHT reconsider my position. Until then, this POS company can go pound sand. I will continue to give them "85% Days Work for 85% Days Pay"

The fact that some have already refused to sign refutes your post.if it was that important they would be fired if the co.had a leg to stand on. If this has not been reviewed by the union it gives you the right to refuse to sign.

Refutes what exactly? Show me where I said that someone could be fired for not signing. Do you just make things up to sound like a bad a**?

I never commented either way about anyone refusing to sign. I simply gave the reasons for why the company puts this kind of document out and why they ask employees to sign for it. Try re-reading exactly what I posted without inserting things I never said.

NYSE Listed Company Manual

I see allot of MUST, CAN & MAYBE in the code, but I did not see any SHALLs in it, so to a Teamster it aint worth the paper it is written on.

Looks like to me it applies to BoDs and CEOs....hmmmm, what a concept...LOL....KK

If I'm not mistaken you resigned. As far as YOU know it has been reviewed by the Teamsters. If some over zealous managers are pushing the issue, oh well! Not one Teamster has been disciplined in Chicago for not signing an acknowledgement. And Brother whether you sign or not refusal MEANS you know it exists. Whether you agree with the document or not!

NYSE Listed Company Manual

I see allot of MUST, CAN & MAYBE in the code, but I did not see any SHALLs in it, so to a Teamster it aint worth the paper it is written on.

Looks like to me it applies to BoDs and CEOs....hmmmm, what a concept...LOL....KK

So you're saying that Teamsters are too dumb to understand the difference between "must" and "shall"? You don't seem to have a very high opinion of the intelligence of your brother Teamsters do you?

Just a follow up. I called Local 745 (Tyson's home local) THREE DIFFERENT times trying to get someone to call me back and discuss this with me. As of 7:40pm Central Time, my phone has YET to ring.

That's because in Tyson's world of Cement Trucks they sign this type of stuff all the time. We need someone with a freight background not cement trucks.

Do you guys even know your contract provisions? Our Union is our only bargaining agent. Nothing you sign eliminates or changes the conditions of the contract. Get a grip already.

Well it is not that we sign. It is the same way these "SO CALLED Supervisors" shove this in our face. With us its after a Supervisor that was brought back, and after setting the bids back Years and years' comes in and states we will take this. The Code of Conduct is for the Leaders' of YRC. That is the Supervisors! And when they come in and threaten that is against their code.

Well it is not that we sign. It is the same way these "SO CALLED Supervisors" shove this in our face. With us its after a Supervisor that was brought back, and after setting the bids back Years and years' comes in and states we will take this. The Code of Conduct is for the Leaders' of YRC. That is the Supervisors! And when they come in and threaten that is against their code.

Like I said earlier, there are bad apples in management and labor both. The code of conduct is for ALL employees. If your supervisor is threatening you as you say then report that to your steward.

Just a follow up. I called Local 745 (Tyson's home local) THREE DIFFERENT times trying to get someone to call me back and discuss this with me. As of 7:40pm Central Time, my phone has YET to ring.
Talk to Kk.He can help ya with the freight director phone number.Yeah call him today after 5pm.TJ likes that.