Yellow | YRC, Teamsters to Discuss Operations Changes

So tell me genius what should the Union have done ?? You do nothing but complain so what's the answer , what would YOU have done different ??

Ahhhh shucks, I'm far from a genius or I wouldn't have spent 30 years behind a steering wheel. But I appreciate the compliment! Although I like to think I have a reasonable amount of common sense.
If it had been up to me, the very first thing I'd have done would have been to call a nationwide strike the moment they passed the de-regulation bill while the union still had the power to effect an outcome.
Never, ever would have allowed CF to start conjob with billions of dollars stolen from CF. All the union did was send up the surrender flag that companies can do anything they want when it comes to getting rid of their union companies with non union and the union would do nothing. They opened the floodgates with that one.
There sure wouldn't be no giveback without absolute monitoring of where "every" penny was going and it sure as h wouldn't be going for massive salaries and bonus' for exectutives.
They'd only have 1, maybe 2 chances at COOs but only after they actually had put some thought into it by people that, ready for this, know the ltl business. I mean sitdown and check every single move to get the most out of equipment, service and the most important asset they have, the employee. Not just keep throwing COOs at the wall hoping something will stick. Do like ABF did with their 1&2 say service, do it right the first time and save millions!
Then, if you get a good coo that works, you make these terminal managers stop playing their numbers game to make themselves look good and obey the rules, if a trailer is only 1/2 full, it goes to make service time, period, its all about the customer.
Start treating your customers like gold for they are to your survival.
Job 1, the company starts to treat its most valuable, its employees, with dignity and respect! Not like enemies of the state. After all, they're the ones that have to do all of the bidding to make it all work. Stop the game of layoffs at every turn. It doesn't mean there isn't a need for discipline once in a while but these are men, not children.
As far as the union, it will never happen in our lifetime but stop the excessive pay, raises, perks and treat your members like they mean something to you, not just a checkbook. Knockoff the fancy Vegas gigs, especially in these times when 10,000s of members are out of work.
Locals with high freight membership could share their people's pain by taking a salary cut to show some solidarity with them. I won't go into their pensions compared to the working man's.
I have a few more ideas too.
Tomorrow we can discuss welfare reform or the oil crisis.

PS: And make Trucking Boards mandatory reading for all freight members!!!!!!!!!!! I put that one in there for Jeff and you!!!!!!!!

And all that sounds GREAT wait for it, wait for it, BUT in the real world would never work ! Do I think you have some bad ideas NO but I can tell you have never negotiated a contract . I can tell you have never been in meetings with corporate people who would want you to go on strike just so they could cry poverty and then re-open non union . I can tell you never spent weeks sitting away from your family working on changes only to have the company say nay forget it where going to go in a different direction . I can tell you basically have great thoughts but in the real world they would never work . You take what your local has done ( as far as pay ) and think ever local and ever teamsters official is crocked or bad and the truth is far from that .

Now you want Union personal to take a pay cut as you say from " high freight membership " OK you claim to have retired from a freight local did you take a pay cut ? Have YOU donated any of your pension money back ? Have you called your pension and said cut my pension by 15% so the guys below me can have a retirement ?

Ahhhh shucks, I'm far from a genius or I wouldn't have spent 30 years behind a steering wheel. But I appreciate the compliment! Although I like to think I have a reasonable amount of common sense.
If it had been up to me, the very first thing I'd have done would have been to call a nationwide strike the moment they passed the de-regulation bill while the union still had the power to effect an outcome.
Never, ever would have allowed CF to start conjob with billions of dollars stolen from CF. All the union did was send up the surrender flag that companies can do anything they want when it comes to getting rid of their union companies with non union and the union would do nothing. They opened the floodgates with that one.
There sure wouldn't be no giveback without absolute monitoring of where "every" penny was going and it sure as h wouldn't be going for massive salaries and bonus' for exectutives.
They'd only have 1, maybe 2 chances at COOs but only after they actually had put some thought into it by people that, ready for this, know the ltl business. I mean sitdown and check every single move to get the most out of equipment, service and the most important asset they have, the employee. Not just keep throwing COOs at the wall hoping something will stick. Do like ABF did with their 1&2 say service, do it right the first time and save millions!
Then, if you get a good coo that works, you make these terminal managers stop playing their numbers game to make themselves look good and obey the rules, if a trailer is only 1/2 full, it goes to make service time, period, its all about the customer.
Job 1, the company starts to treat its most valuable, its employees, with dignity and respect! Not like enemies of the state. After all, they're the ones that have to do all of the bidding to make it all work. Stop the game of layoffs at every turn. It doesn't mean there isn't a need for discipline once in a while but these are men, not children.
As far as the union, it will never happen in our lifetime but stop the excessive pay, raises, perks and treat your members like they mean something to you, not just a checkbook. Knockoff the fancy Vegas gigs, especially in these times when 10,000s of members are out of work.
Locals with high freight membership could share their people's pain by taking a salary cut to show some solidarity with them. I won't go into their pensions compared to the working man's.

PS: And make Trucking Boards mandatory reading for all freight members!!!!!!!!!!! I put that one in there for Jeff and you!!!!!!!!

What is sad is after 30 years of teamster trucking companies being decimated by deregulation, the rise of more efficient nons, and the great recession there are still a half dozen out there who still believe union power could have changed any of this.

"If it had been up to me, the very first thing I'd have done would have been to call a nationwide strike the moment they passed the de-regulation bill while the union still had the power to effect an outcome.
Never, ever would have allowed CF to start conjob with billions of dollars stolen from CF."
so sad, boo hoo sobby doo

What is sad is after 30 years of teamster trucking companies being decimated by deregulation, the rise of more efficient nons, and the great recession there are still a half dozen out there who still believe union power could have changed any of this.

The reason we send the kids to fight for us.....We Ol Timers don't have the stomach for it anymore. :sadwavey:

The IBt should of stopped the buyouts before they happened.Anyone with a brain knew yellow didn't have the money to start with.
So tell me genius what should the Union have done ?? You do nothing but complain so what's the answer , what would YOU have done different ??

W/T that's a good point but once again in the real world even if the Teamsters had formally opposed the buy out it would have been a ceremonial approach at the best . They could not have stopped the buy out unless the took the company to court got a injunction and then won a civil case . We all want to think of the " power " of the IBT but I deal in the real world where that " power " has dwindled .

The IBt should of stopped the buyouts before they happened.Anyone with a brain knew yellow didn't have the money to start with.

Most of the problems you state are mistakes the company makes and the Union has no control over. The union cant tell the company how to run their business only if their violating the contract.And as far as CF is concerned ,Deregulation destroyed union trucking, retailers and manufactures began decentralizing their distribution system, opening up the 1-and 2 day market and Cf didnt react fast enough.It was like 4 gas stations on the same corner cf ,roadway, yellow and abf.Somebody had to go.Tell us how the Union could have stopped CF from starting and financing conway?Its a shame Cf failed but that was their managements fault not the union.

Thank you !!!! I glad someone finally gets it and the part I highlighted ( bold ) is 100% the truth !!!!!!!!

Most of the problems you state are mistakes the company makes and the Union has no control over. The union cant tell the company how to run their business only if their violating the contract.And as far as CF is concerned ,Deregulation destroyed union trucking, retailers and manufactures began decentralizing their distribution system, opening up the 1-and 2 day market and Cf didnt react fast enough.It was like 4 gas stations on the same corner cf ,roadway, yellow and abf.Somebody had to go.Tell us how the Union could have stopped CF from starting and financing conway?Its a shame Cf failed but that was their managements fault not the union.

"We're moving forward as YRC, not Yellow or Roadway," Rogers said. "Those companies don't exist anymore. One of the biggest tasks ahead for me is to bring the Yellow and Roadway folks together."
From what I've seen on truckingboards, Rogers still has a long way to go! It's time to move on as YRC, and worry more about kicking our competition's butts instead of where we came from. We don't have to forget about our past, but it's time to worry about our future! Let's get this change of ops over with and move on!

:soapbox:
the new NON UNION yrc. took your money, took your pension and grabbed some of your health insurance. even though (secret sleeve) hoffa said that would not happen. now to complete the cycle and make yrc fully NON UNION they are going to take away your work rules with the help of the union.congratulations to all who voted your fearless leader back in.

Never worked for CF....and paid little attention at the time that all went down......But what if....The Union had said no conway....went on strike...a real strike where the trucks were set on fire if they moved. How would conway have gotten off the ground? Just hypothetical thinking...........And one that would have required something other than thinking of the consequenses............I would say that option has been off the the table for many years....we woke up to late to Participate

And all that sounds GREAT wait for it, wait for it, BUT in the real world would never work ! Do I think you have some bad ideas NO but I can tell you have never negotiated a contract . I can tell you have never been in meetings with corporate people who would want you to go on strike just so they could cry poverty and then re-open non union . I can tell you never spent weeks sitting away from your family working on changes only to have the company say nay forget it where going to go in a different direction . I can tell you basically have great thoughts but in the real world they would never work . You take what your local has done ( as far as pay ) and think ever local and ever teamsters official is crocked or bad and the truth is far from that .

Now you want Union personal to take a pay cut as you say from " high freight membership " OK you claim to have retired from a freight local did you take a pay cut ? Have YOU donated any of your pension money back ? Have you called your pension and said cut my pension by 15% so the guys below me can have a retirement ?

So what are the members suppose to do, continue to rollover and play dead like the bf hoffa regime has been doing since he stole the election from Ron Carey.
Wrong, I have negotiated a few contracts, just small ones like when going in to buy a new car. You go in and negotiate from a position of strength, not weakness, a salesman(yrc)can smell that like a shark smells blood in the water.
You sure don't go in after calling them and tell him(yrc), "Dear sir, I'll do everything I can to help you sell me that bew car, I just want it so bad"!
Corporate snobs are just like that car salesman, they're going to lie, cheat, screw you 12 ways from Sunday and you have to be ready to walk away to let them think about it.
Every company will cry poverty when contract time comes around, even ge or general dynamics.
Of course in todays climate you wouldn't strike but I'd sure like to see that big inflatable rat infront of yrc's headquarters. If you wanted to hit them another way you could find all kinds of things wrong with the less then stellar equipment.
A mild work slowdown I've seen work wonders at places. Sooner or later its going to be time to s### or get off the pot.
The point being, how far are the employees willing to bendover. Rather then the piece meal approach, if the onion is going to give the store away, do it and get the death by a thousand cuts over with!
As far as our overworked and underpaid officials being away for weeks(?), I've yet to hear one complain about meeting in a luxurious resort community, staying in a 5 star hotel with an unlimited expense account comeback and say they're not doing that again.
Plus like Wild Thing said, what moron onion would agree to putting all their eggs into one basket, especially when that basket has a notorious repution for breaking those eggs on purpose.
Freakin bf hoffa didn't even try to stop it and even said what a wonderful idea it was.
Lets not forget about that the company won't show their books on the chinese operations either. Why not!

Lets talk about the pension, did the onion pay for mine? No. Did they get paid a handsome fee for handling "my" money? Yes.
The local officials unlike me and you get their pensions paid for by the members and if most of your income for that local is from them they should take a cut too in their contributions like they insisted that yrc people did. Not necessarily the 2 year deferral but at least practice a little of what you preach.
I don't think I said all locals, just 95%, imho of course.
Do you think if I gave 15% of my pension back it would get used for donations to a foodbank or just get applied to a bigger and better payout to the officials, like our former presidente and vice presidente collecting $120,000 & $80,000+ respectively a year(with free lifetime medical till 65)! In my eyes that 6 real teamsters that could retire with $3000 a month and deserve it a 1000 times over.

Like I said before you have NO idea how it works in the real world . You used this analogy " I have negotiated a few contracts, just small ones like when going in to buy a new car. You go in and negotiate from a position of strength, not weakness, a salesman(yrc)can smell that like a shark smells blood in the water." WRONG because in buying a car you can always go to more then one dealership !! Now what if you could only go to ONE dealership and one only and you have to negotiate a contract with them knowing that up the road theirs a cheaper car ? As I said before theirs a BIG difference between your dream world and what can be done and the real world where your hands are tied .

So what are the members suppose to do, continue to rollover and play dead like the bf hoffa regime has been doing since he stole the election from Ron Carey.
Wrong, I have negotiated a few contracts, just small ones like when going in to buy a new car. You go in and negotiate from a position of strength, not weakness, a salesman(yrc)can smell that like a shark smells blood in the water.
You sure don't go in after calling them and tell him(yrc), "Dear sir, I'll do everything I can to help you sell me that bew car, I just want it so bad"!
Corporate snobs are just like that car salesman, they're going to lie, cheat, screw you 12 ways from Sunday and you have to be ready to walk away to let them think about it.
Every company will cry poverty when contract time comes around, even ge or general dynamics.
Of course in todays climate you wouldn't strike but I'd sure like to see that big inflatable rat infront of yrc's headquarters. If you wanted to hit them another way you could find all kinds of things wrong with the less then stellar equipment.
A mild work slowdown I've seen work wonders at places. Sooner or later its going to be time to s### or get off the pot.
The point being, how far are the employees willing to bendover. Rather then the piece meal approach, if the onion is going to give the store away, do it and get the death by a thousand cuts over with!
As far as our overworked and underpaid officials being away for weeks(?), I've yet to hear one complain about meeting in a luxurious resort community, staying in a 5 star hotel with an unlimited expense account comeback and say they're not doing that again.
Plus like Wild Thing said, what moron onion would agree to putting all their eggs into one basket, especially when that basket has a notorious repution for breaking those eggs on purpose.
Freakin bf hoffa didn't even try to stop it and even said what a wonderful idea it was.
Lets not forget about that the company won't show their books on the chinese operations either. Why not!

Lets talk about the pension, did the onion pay for mine? No. Did they get paid a handsome fee for handling "my" money? Yes.
The local officials unlike me and you get their pensions paid for by the members and if most of your income for that local is from them they should take a cut too in their contributions like they insisted that yrc people did. Not necessarily the 2 year deferral but at least practice a little of what you preach.
I don't think I said all locals, just 95%, imho of course.
Do you think if I gave 15% of my pension back it would get used for donations to a foodbank or just get applied to a bigger and better payout to the officials, like our former presidente and vice presidente collecting $120,000 & $80,000+ respectively a year(with free lifetime medical till 65)! In my eyes that 6 real teamsters that could retire with $3000 a month and deserve it a 1000 times over.

Gosh joe, I bet if you had been a Marine you'd of walked around allday with your tie tucked into your shirt!!!
Everyone, hoist up the white flag!!!

Like I said before you have NO idea how it works in the real world . You used this analogy " I have negotiated a few contracts, just small ones like when going in to buy a new car. You go in and negotiate from a position of strength, not weakness, a salesman(yrc)can smell that like a shark smells blood in the water." WRONG because in buying a car you can always go to more then one dealership !! Now what if you could only go to ONE dealership and one only and you have to negotiate a contract with them knowing that up the road theirs a cheaper car ? As I said before theirs a BIG difference between your dream world and what can be done and the real world where your hands are tied .

Thats ok too, you don't have to buy and the union doesn't have to accept any offer that yrc shoves down its throat. That dealer(yrc)won't be around long if it keeps screwing a buyer(employees).
The yrc thugs want their huge salaries for as long as they can get them like the dealer needs income too.
Remember, if yrc wants to go out of business like they seem to be proving day in and day out by what appears to be an out of court bankruptcy, theres nothing in this world that will change their mind.
The only reason our hands are tied is because the onion has allowed them to be for the last 13 or so years.
Kind of like our politicians have tied our military's hands and not allowed them to win a war.

the new NON UNION yrc. took your money, took your pension and grabbed some of your health insurance. even though (secret sleeve) hoffa said that would not happen. now to complete the cycle and make yrc fully NON UNION they are going to take away your work rules with the help of the union.congratulations to all who voted your fearless leader back in.
===============

=====================