TForce | 2023 Contract negotiations.

any moron knows the difference bro. BTW, under UPS both short and long term disability were fully paid for. Any half brained responsible person with a family knows you need to be protected. Because of this, costs to get the same coverage for medical and other coverage went up 8 fold. That means non union folks took a massive pay cut to keep the same benefit package. I moved on because of this and went to greener pastures.
Half brained, moron, sissies... You obviously picked the wrong side working for UPS, you are angry, I don't think anyone is taking you seriously here.

So if you moved on, then Git'

Even though I am out of the picture, I gave the Companies 29 of my best years, I've seen the good, and the bad.
I gave OVNT 20 years (75-95). The Union Pacific takeover in 1986 was the start of the decline. Prior to that, you would have never convinced me that I would not retire from there.
During my time there no union existed. I'm sure there are older guys that may have been there before me but IMHO, the 70's were the best time for OVNT. I am glad I am away from all of it at this point.

It took 2 lousy 5-year contracts to run our pay scale to where it is now and even then it still is near the top in total benefit package. To think we can recoup all that ground in payscale/cpm/pension in the initial contract negotiations with new owners with no change in medical is a pipe dream. We can start there, but to plant your flag on this is foolish and would not be a good approach. Now I am in agreement with not one inch backwards with the goal to get a good compensation building back contract and maybe go with 3 years instead of 5.
Those that want/expect Bedard to bend over and empty his pockets to correct the sins of the past 2 UPS contracts might as well leave now if that is what you need to stay. Bedard seems to have a huge ego. The less we talk about the past and UPS with Bedard the better he will feel about the future with union labor. We can't burden these talks with the UPS past, negotiate a clean fair day one contract that builds us back. A good contract is when both sides feel that they got most of what they wanted but not everything with neither caving into the other. I believe it was Teddy Roosevelt who said "Speak softly,but carry a big stick".....my chosen approach and IMHO of course.
The proposal is very fair with inflation raging and such we will still be behind on our pay. Estes is currently paying extra board driver .77cpm so the proposal is fair to both parties. If they can afford to pay dock supervisors $100k+ a year then they can afford to pay us. They also need to stop running so much freight on the rails.

The proposal is very fair with inflation raging and such we will still be behind on our pay. Estes is currently paying extra board driver .77cpm so the proposal is fair to both parties. If they can afford to pay dock supervisors $100k+ a year then they can afford to pay us. They also need to stop running so much freight on the rails.
I have no idea about the savings of running rail as opposed to a team, but do you think TFI is going to get the same rate using rail or close to the same rate that UPS is getting when UPS finally cuts Us Loose?

I have no idea about the savings of running rail as opposed to a team, but do you think TFI is going to get the same rate using rail or close to the same rate that UPS is getting when UPS finally cuts Us Loose?
According to different members of management it's cheaper and much faster to run 2 way freight on us. The travel time by truck from coast to coast is roughly 36 to 40 hours by train 5 days.

Economics as well as market forces play into contract negotiations as much as any other force.
The fact remains, it is hard to find qualified drivers. Ups thought, and maybe rightfully so, that 5-10 years ago they could get a discount on new employees, because of their name, but that isn't the case any longer.
TFI can't just low ball and possibly hope to ever restaff this company. Considering that a great amount of the drivers will be retired in the next 5-8 years

Bingo!!!! When UPS lets go. I know it has only been a little over a year but has anyone seen any improvement? Maybe some minor stuff, but still the same ol', same ol'. Grossly overweight 53' vans, hardly a truck in the fleet without a check engine light. Unexplained "line-haul unpaid" on pay stub. Too many good people leaving, uncertain of the "big picture" here.
Be safe out there...

It took 2 lousy 5-year contracts to run our pay scale to where it is now and even then it still is near the top in total benefit package. To think we can recoup all that ground in payscale/cpm/pension in the initial contract negotiations with new owners with no change in medical is a pipe dream. We can start there, but to plant your flag on this is foolish and would not be a good approach. Now I am in agreement with not one inch backwards with the goal to get a good compensation building back contract and maybe go with 3 years instead of 5.
Those that want/expect Bedard to bend over and empty his pockets to correct the sins of the past 2 UPS contracts might as well leave now if that is what you need to stay. Bedard seems to have a huge ego. The less we talk about the past and UPS with Bedard the better he will feel about the future with union labor. We can't burden these talks with the UPS past, negotiate a clean fair day one contract that builds us back. A good contract is when both sides feel that they got most of what they wanted but not everything with neither caving into the other. I believe it was Teddy Roosevelt who said "Speak softly,but carry a big stick".....my chosen approach and IMHO of c

Half brained, moron, sissies... You obviously picked the wrong side working for UPS, you are angry, I don't think anyone is taking you seriously here.

So if you moved on, then Git'
not angry at all bro, could not be happier actually. I still have lots of friends that work here and am worried for them as the contract nears renewal. Sad that all the pissing and moaning that takes place couldn't be used for a more positive outcome on a daily basis with TForce. Union employees had it good under UPS, still have it good and are going to find out how good they had it once they see what Bedard is going to offer. Reducing his healthcare costs will be his single biggest concern.

not angry at all bro, could not be happier actually. I still have lots of friends that work here and am worried for them as the contract nears renewal. Sad that all the pissing and moaning that takes place couldn't be used for a more positive outcome on a daily basis with TForce. Union employees had it good under UPS, still have it good and are going to find out how good they had it once they see what Bedard is going to offer. Reducing his healthcare costs will be his single biggest concern.
While what you say has some truth in it, where is the breaking point? We need to unite, not divide, UPS smelled blood in the water last contract and used it to their advantage.
They always said, "you are the best paid in the industry", now sadly that is not the case most LTL's are 3-5% ahead of TFI except in healthcare.
IMHO health costs are going to be the major issue in the next campaign, on top of the sub-standard increases in pay over the last 4 years, the runaway costs of living, how far can they push it? No one could have foresaw the economic climate we have today, but it is here and looks to be here for a good while. The labor "shortage" makes your skills and time very valuable and they know it. This will be interesting to say the least.
You must remain united and show the Company to be the best you have to treat people the best.

While what you say has some truth in it, where is the breaking point? We need to unite, not divide, UPS smelled blood in the water last contract and used it to their advantage.
They always said, "you are the best paid in the industry", now sadly that is not the case most LTL's are 3-5% ahead of TFI except in healthcare.
IMHO health costs are going to be the major issue in the next campaign, on top of the sub-standard increases in pay over the last 4 years, the runaway costs of living, how far can they push it? No one could have foresaw the economic climate we have today, but it is here and looks to be here for a good while. The labor "shortage" makes your skills and time very valuable and they know it. This will be interesting to say the least.
You must remain united and show the Company to be the best you have to treat people the best.
While I can understand the reluctance of some to unionize (as a long time Teamster I can certainly acknowledge that our Union has had its shortcomings and a rather unsavory past), the only way we all will gain the pay/benefit increases we deserve is by putting up a united front. If most all the major ltl companies were under a unified labor agreement (like the old time NMFA) we would have the strength across the whole industry to negotiate for better wages. Otherwise it's just pitting one company against another regarding negotiations. How can anyone not see that?

While I can understand the reluctance of some to unionize (as a long time Teamster I can certainly acknowledge that our Union has had its shortcomings and a rather unsavory past), the only way we all will gain the pay/benefit increases we deserve is by putting up a united front. If most all the major ltl companies were under a unified labor agreement (like the old time NMFA) we would have the strength across the whole industry to negotiate for better wages. Otherwise it's just pitting one company against another regarding negotiations. How can anyone not see that?
Triplex, "unsavory past", nobody ever said we were the Boy Scouts or Raccoon Lodge or tried to be, just saying

TFI, I'm sure, would fight another NMFA, as I'm sure the other Unionized LTL owners would.

You saying pissing and moaning, and "union employees had it good under ups" you clearly have no understanding of what has happened over the years. There was more than a handful of times that i know personally where UPS violated or ignored the contracts with little enforcement, or none at all. I know one major violation, which affected 75% of a board that took almost 2 years to fight and finally win a grievance. Only to never see a penny of back pay owed.
UPS wins...

You saying pissing and moaning, and "union employees had it good under ups" you clearly have no understanding of what has happened over the years. There was more than a handful of times that i know personally where UPS violated or ignored the contracts with little enforcement, or none at all. I know one major violation, which affected 75% of a board that took almost 2 years to fight and finally win a grievance. Only to never see a penny of back pay owed.
UPS wins...
Most state laws allow grievance procedures as a replacement for civil court in labor disputes. However, those same laws usually require that the grievance procedure strictly follow the contract, a legal document, and not add or detract from that document in making a decision. It can be a pain to follow up in civil court but that can be an option. I have personally gone that route in the past and won.

Most state laws allow grievance procedures as a replacement for civil court in labor disputes. However, those same laws usually require that the grievance procedure strictly follow the contract, a legal document, and not add or detract from that document in making a decision. It can be a pain to follow up in civil court but that can be an option. I have personally gone that route in the past and won.
Had a strange case, guy gets fired for theft and criminal charges filed against him by company, goes to court found not guilty, goes to arbitration to get job back and loses

Stunhisf, guys like you are a dime a dozen, You hate your job, jealous of others that work for the same employer, finally get the knuts to leave, then have nothing better to do than insult the ones you were jealous of. You stated you made a great decision ,couldn't be happier , ect ect... then move on. If i left a place i wasn't happy with, and went somewhere way better, i wouldn't look back.

If you cant help but be here like the rest of us can't, then CAN the insults to the unionized employees, and post your opinion/facts like an adult.

Oh man, they told us to talley up how much money we missed out on per week above a certain dollar amount, between the dates given. It was submitted, countered with a super low ball figure, then we voted on the next contract... then were given the excuse that it didnt get handled before the new contract, so tough luck.

Stunhisf, guys like you are a dime a dozen, You hate your job, jealous of others that work for the same employer, finally get the knuts to leave, then have nothing better to do than insult the ones you were jealous of. You stated you made a great decision ,couldn't be happier , ect ect... then move on. If i left a place i wasn't happy with, and went somewhere way better, i wouldn't look back.

If you cant help but be here like the rest of us can't, then CAN the insults to the unionized employees, and post your opinion/facts like an adult.
I never hated my job, I worked my butt off and was very successful winning numerous awards for my performance. I would not have been as successful as I was during my tenure with UPS Freight/TForce had it not been for the dock, city and linehaul drivers as well as all the others that it takes to make a carrier network perform. My only gripe is how much you guys ( and some gals) bash the company with endless negativity. I guess this website is where all the negative nellies show up to **** and moan. Most the drivers i interacted with were fully engaged and locked in on our success. Some bitching did take place but not much. I have moved on but look back at my tenure as being a positive force for helping the company be profitable and successful. i still have friends that work there so I like to stay engaged.

I never hated my job, I worked my butt off and was very successful winning numerous awards for my performance. I would not have been as successful as I was during my tenure with UPS Freight/TForce had it not been for the dock, city and linehaul drivers as well as all the others that it takes to make a carrier network perform. My only gripe is how much you guys ( and some gals) bash the company with endless negativity. I guess this website is where all the negative nellies show up to **** and moan. Most the drivers i interacted with were fully engaged and locked in on our success. Some bitching did take place but not much. I have moved on but look back at my tenure as being a positive force for helping the company be profitable and successful. i still have friends that work there so I like to stay engaged.
Where was your terminal? Fantasy land?