TForce | Any new tractor news

Greezy Trucker

TB Veteran
Credits
Just wondering if anyone has heard about when or what we are going to get?

Got myself in a situation here with possibly one of the oldest tractors still in use. Started pulling rocky mtn. doubles and brought up the issue of needing a three axle, and wouldn't you know the one issue that I have brought and was addressed was this. So needless to say I am going from a year old two axle to a twelve year old daycab cabover. Me and my mouth is now going to abuse my kidneys. So either I am crazy like a fox on getting a new tractor OR quite possibly the dumbest driver to grace the roads.

OOPS!!! I have a brother that works for the same company as you. They have only one new Volvo, and the other that was rather new when the big O was around; they painted to match the new ones. Other than that they are still driving around in big O colors with UPSF duct taped to the side. He is hoping for some newer equipment too, but isn’t complaining yet. The only thing I seen bad with his truck was he needed some drive tires, up north here in the snow it is nice to have the extra tread for getting in and out of the docks.

Got myself in a situation here with possibly one of the oldest tractors still in use. Started pulling rocky mtn. doubles and brought up the issue of needing a three axle, and wouldn't you know the one issue that I have brought and was addressed was this. So needless to say I am going from a year old two axle to a twelve year old daycab cabover. Me and my mouth is now going to abuse my kidneys. So either I am crazy like a fox on getting a new tractor OR quite possibly the dumbest driver to grace the roads.

From what I understand or heard actually we will start seeing more action after the first of the year, more painted stuff, and more new stuff. But like anything else ... wait and see.

All my years in trucking,the only thing I know to do with old equipment is to find a DOT agent to go over it with a magnafying glass.
If everything is working well,and is safe.
Than all you can do is put up with it,untill something better comes your way.

If theres some reason to put it out of service,than they will have to provide you with another ride.

No air suspension on those 21 series cabovers. Or crampovers as we called them. They give you a cabover while when I was in LA they had a newer 21 series 9200i saved for a p&d driver. Amazing. Don't try to put a CB in it, it'll just rattle itself right off the dash. And forget about listening to the am/fm, even if it still works those trucks had more air leaks between the doors and door frames and windshield and door glass than you could shake a stick at. Can't imagine hearing anything over all that. Oh and one more thing, if youre comming up to a bump at speed, duck. Or you will be wearing your hat around your neck from bumping your head on the cab roof.

Other than that, it shouldn't be too bad.

No air suspension on those 21 series cabovers. Or crampovers as we called them. They give you a cabover while when I was in LA they had a newer 21 series 9200i saved for a p&d driver. Amazing. Don't try to put a CB in it, it'll just rattle itself right off the dash. And forget about listening to the am/fm, even if it still works those trucks had more air leaks between the doors and door frames and windshield and door glass than you could shake a stick at. Can't imagine hearing anything over all that. Oh and one more thing, if youre comming up to a bump at speed, duck. Or you will be wearing your hat around your neck from bumping your head on the cab roof.

:shock: Holy crap! I guess I'll stop complaining about my cornbinder. It wouldn't be so bad if didnt know how much nicer those Volvos are.

Im not sure I want to see anything new. That is if you have the 10,11 or 12 series volvo's. I don't know if UPS will stick to what they buy which will not be as fancy as our new or newer volvo,s. No air ride cabs, No air ride suspension, Pretty much basic model sterlings. Not even sure if they order them with stereo,s or AC. I hope they let the freight division continue to by the volvo,s. But Im pretty sure they care more about the expence than they do about the comfort of the drivers.

Im not sure I want to see anything new. That is if you have the 10,11 or 12 series volvo's. I don't know if UPS will stick to what they buy which will not be as fancy as our new or newer volvo,s. No air ride cabs, No air ride suspension, Pretty much basic model sterlings. Not even sure if they order them with stereo,s or AC. I hope they let the freight division continue to by the volvo,s. But Im pretty sure they care more about the expence than they do about the comfort of the drivers.
All of there new tractors at ups have AC and power sterring and air ride. there macks fords and binders all have air ride.It is in the union contract. and the AC is fed law.I have no idea what you are talking about with the striped down models.the only think don't have is a am/fm radios. and most of there drivers just go and have a radio installed in the factory hole. all the tractors come with speakers. get real this is 2007. air ride is standard. and so is ac

If they strip them down and you're out here in the western states, the first things that usually go are the radio and the engine brake. Don't bother cleaning the side glass or rear view mirrors. You don't want to look back when you're going down a steep grade with out a engine brake, as long as you have enough brake peddle left to make it to the bottom ignore the flashing high beams and horns honking as cars go by.

The ones and only.....maybe you know the truck 21-0904? I am in a 9200i its about a year old 247,000 miles BUT it is single axle and getting a 48 to scale and still get traction in the snow is all but impossible....Its all my own fault for suggesting that instead of leaving freight in SLC they let me pull rockies....Learned a lesson.....IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA THAT MAKES SENSE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!! It will only bite you right where you don't want it......

All my years in trucking,the only thing I know to do with old equipment is to find a DOT agent to go over it with a magnafying glass.
If everything is working well,and is safe.
Than all you can do is put up with it,untill something better comes your way.

If theres some reason to put it out of service,than they will have to provide you with another ride.

Trust me I am seriously kicking around spending an extra 1.5 at the port.....

I will gladly run a radio box and I drive at night so the a/c is not a problem. The biggest thing is it needs to be a 3 axle tractor and I can't get any info on if they are going to buy any.....

If they strip them down and you're out here in the western states, the first things that usually go are the radio and the engine brake. Don't bother cleaning the side glass or rear view mirrors. You don't want to look back when you're going down a steep grade with out a engine brake, as long as you have enough brake peddle left to make it to the bottom ignore the flashing high beams and horns honking as cars go by.

Brakes????? What is that? If you aint smokin you aint truckin' (that is sarcasm so no safety lectures please) And looking back that will just scare ya....All that wiggle and such.....

All of there new tractors at ups have AC and power sterring and air ride. there macks fords and binders all have air ride.It is in the union contract. and the AC is fed law.I have no idea what you are talking about with the striped down models.the only think don't have is a am/fm radios. and most of there drivers just go and have a radio installed in the factory hole. all the tractors come with speakers. get real this is 2007. air ride is standard. and so is ac

Air ride don't apply to these fine peices of equipment.....Its all bolted straight to the frame....You can feel the road better that way........And now I will actually bad mouth my beloved MC....I really wish they have kept up with replacing trucks as they needed to because this would have been a none issue. They bought new and what we needed but just hung on to the old ones for a rainy day....CURSE THEM ALL!!!!!

The ones and only.....maybe you know the truck 21-0904? I am in a 9200i its about a year old 247,000 miles BUT it is single axle and getting a 48 to scale and still get traction in the snow is all but impossible....Its all my own fault for suggesting that instead of leaving freight in SLC they let me pull rockies....Learned a lesson.....IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA THAT MAKES SENSE KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!!!!!!! It will only bite you right where you don't want it......

Remember you will be the first on scene if you ever get into an accident in a cabover.

Cabovers?
Are truck manufactures still building those bone shakers?
I can't recall seeing any new cabovers?
I thought all the new power units were conventionals?

I guess working the city,keeps me in the dark to whats going on with road operations.

The one thing I do know about the old Overnite's past practises of making tractor purchases,is that all new tractors were bought for the road first,than they become city hand me downs when they are very much played out.

My asigned city unit is a 95 Volvo with just over 990,000 miles.
I keep my fluids filled,and its just like the Timex watches.
Its taking a beating and keeps on ticking.

The heater,radio,and A/C workes I couldn't be happier.

MC bought a lot full of International COE 3 axle daycabs with Auto trans to test them out and they ended up puting in straight 10's in them.
Most of them are gone there are still a few still in the system. Most of them are sleepers, and some are daycabs. The day cabs have no airride and the sleepers with out the intake snorkel are spring.

WOW and I thought we had relics up here, I almost feel priveledged.

Well heres a tidbit from the financial sector, Navistar is having troubles, they are reluctant and behind schedule on reporting the finances. Bet we get a good deal on shtspreaders soon. Go to NAV on the stock exchange for more info.