FedEx Freight | Calling off due to weather

I’m not saying anything. I just posted the policy. If you read it it says Reasonable Attempt. Lots of room for interpretation of that. My thoughts would be that if the Governor calls for a state of emergency and doesn’t want people on the roads is one thing, but driving through a puddle and claiming reasonable attempt is quite another.
Great point !

Severe Weather Event policy was changed in January of 2015. Policy now states as follows. “Effective immediately an employee who cannot safely make it to work during a Severe Weather Event should contact local center leadership within a reasonable time to provide notification. In those situations where a reasonable attempt has been made, tardiness and/or absences will be approved and not counted as occurrences or points.” This is the exact wording from the memo. Doesn’t matter how many do or don’t call in.
Where I work at they want an attempt in the rig , go out turn around and come back , all without pay because the run was not completed

Where I work at they want an attempt in the rig , go out turn around and come back , all without pay because the run was not completed
That's how Overnite was before UPS, you had better not even be late! 12-16 inches of snow you are going. "You have chains", hook and go.
As long as you departed, we often turned around somewhere and came back. Never a problem, as long as they could show a trailer departed, then delayed it made it all well.
"Good job, go home and call us tomorrow", made little pay but that was how it was.
No A/C, power steering, radio, but we got er' done.

That's how Overnite was before UPS, you had better not even be late! 12-16 inches of snow you are going. "You have chains", hook and go.
As long as you departed, we often turned around somewhere and came back. Never a problem, as long as they could show a trailer departed, then delayed it made it all well.
"Good job, go home and call us tomorrow", made little pay but that was how it was.
No A/C, power steering, radio, but we got er' done.
We didn't have snow that often in Charl.
I came to go out one day, the shop had a tractor with chains pulling our units out the drive onto the main road, (we had no chains)
I watched this for about 30 minutes, punched out, and told the dispatcher he was crazy to think I was going out when I couldn't drive out on my own.
I went home and was paid 6 hrs.
I didn't get er done, I'm a candy azz.

I think all this varies by location since I’ve called in due to weather. Told them I don’t feel it’s safe to operate because of the snow storm. I typically don’t use PTO and no one ever told me I received a point.

Severe Weather Event policy was changed in January of 2015. Policy now states as follows. “Effective immediately an employee who cannot safely make it to work during a Severe Weather Event should contact local center leadership within a reasonable time to provide notification. In those situations where a reasonable attempt has been made, tardiness and/or absences will be approved and not counted as occurrences or points.” This is the exact wording from the memo. Doesn’t matter how many do or don’t call in.
Isn’t that way in Michigan

I’m not saying anything. I just posted the policy. If you read it it says Reasonable Attempt. Lots of room for interpretation of that. My thoughts would be that if the Governor calls for a state of emergency and doesn’t want people on the roads is one thing, but driving through a puddle and claiming reasonable attempt is quite another.
Exactly why such a policy doesn’t and can’t work for a company. Drivers would take so advantage of it. We had a meeting with district big wigs last winter and this topic came up at the meeting and they tooted an entirely different horn. While that policy may exist it must be entirely up to the discretion of your manager. I think it boils down to his and his alone call. I can tell you for sure our manager would not excuse any weather call off if say 5-6 called off out of a 25 driver board. Not a chance. Now last Wednesday all but 4 called off and in that case all the call offs were excused.

Damn right, Riding in AC, air ride comfort, never touch a piece of freight, real road drivers never drop and hook, stop and nap anytime, flirt with the women on CB, entertain the motoring public with your harmonica, and not deal with mad customers, yes driver, it's a hard job, but some of us had to do it.
FedEx drivers are allowed to have CBs?

Not sure what you mean by repercussions? Does it count against you ? Maybe maybe not. There is a certain % of your board that has to call off before it doesn’t count as an absence. Otherwise expect that it will.
I was looking around these boards because I've heard of this as well.. reason being is because it's going to be negative 20s with the wind chill this Monday and Tuesday and I just know everybody is going to do a 2 for 1.. last time that happened and I tried to play hero "look at me I made it in when everyone else didn't" I was "rewarded" with mandatory OT while mostly everyone else was at home snoozing with no repercussions ....Hate to be that guy but i think I'll be burning some PT or be taking a point this go round. Lol

I was looking around these boards because I've heard of this as well.. reason being is because it's going to be negative 20s with the wind chill this Monday and Tuesday and I just know everybody is going to do a 2 for 1.. last time that happened and I tried to play hero "look at me I made it in when everyone else didn't" I was "rewarded" with mandatory OT while mostly everyone else was at home snoozing with no repercussions ....Hate to be that guy but i think I'll be burning some PT or be taking a point this go round. Lol
Call off the 5 sick days I got were always used for weather.

Snowing, slippery roads is one thing- but I wouldn’t burn precious PTO just for low temps. Just sayin

Just came across this thread and read quite a bit of it. Man I should have waited to get into trucking because I spent a good two thirds of it runnin I35 overnights to MSP and back and I'm sure my eyes matched my profile pic many a winter. My "chains" were 2 50 lb bags of blue rock salt purloined from the maintainance shed. I belive the majority of piled up rigs you see now days during heavy snow is due to automatics or started by someone with it.

Snowing, slippery roads is one thing- but I wouldn’t burn precious PTO just for low temps. Just sayin
No, you're right. Especially when you only get 5 per rolling year to use...It's more of a.. why should I come in a deal with the extra work and OT when the same Ole same Ole is going to call off and walk in whatever day they decide, like nothing happened. Might just take a no pay day. Don't have any points. Not hurting for $... Might go in who knows. I just know it's gunna be BS because last week multiple people were already saying they weren't coming in due to weather Monday or Tuesday. Then mr nice guy comes in (me) and gets screwed with a 12 hr day and working the dock in 20 below wind chill. It's basically a punishment for trying to do the right thing, while the usual suspects are at home under a blanket. Smh

Just came across this thread and read quite a bit of it. Man I should have waited to get into trucking because I spent a good two thirds of it runnin I35 overnights to MSP and back and I'm sure my eyes matched my profile pic many a winter. My "chains" were 2 50 lb bags of blue rock salt purloined from the maintainance shed. I belive the majority of piled up rigs you see now days during heavy snow is due to automatics or started by someone with it.
Even in manual mode it's not the same. I could go up Cabbage or Elk Mountain no chains in a regular 10 speed. Now I can't even go up in chains with these new automatics.

The majority of pileups,start, with following too close, Speeding, and too fast for conditions. Driving an automatic may account for part of cause, but the first 3 offenses are the biggest factors.