ABF | Dash-cam / Personal Entertainment

Bro. Trucker 206,.....here's what the Two Cube Relo trailer looked like.......as you can see,...we "utilized" it.......
ifRQxBT.jpg

PnKgwb5.jpg

s7RulHN.jpg
Thanks, canary! I was trying to visualize how it looked as you we’re explaining it the other day. Looks a lot different than the motorboat we had. Ours had the Princeton Piggyback forklift that we had to strap to the back of the flatbed. Kind of a goofy setup. I ran it, but it wasn’t fun.

Last edited:
It's even worse than that, bad slavin. When a dispatcher or manager forces a driver to continue under conditions they deem dangerous, they are forcing that driver to assume criminal and legal liabilities of operating his equipment potentially in violation of safety and permit restrictions, as in the case of triples. I know most of you never have to deal with triples. Consider yourself fortunate. I always considered triples permit violation fog (under 1500 ft visibility) to be as dangerous as snow and ice. Fog densities vary so much from mile to mile. If you are driving doubles in heavy fog and have someone drive into your back trailer and is killed, that's an unfortunate accident for which you bear no liability as long as you are driving safely. With triples, however, you are assuming not only responsibility for what is going on in front of you, but what is happening behind you as well. If someone hits your 3rd trailer on a 6% upgrade when you are doing 22mph with 105,000# in heavy fog and is killed, you can be charged with negligent homicide and huge personal civil liability for knowingly and willfully proceeding in violation of the inclement weather restrictions of your triples permit. Ultimately, YOU are the captain of your ship. The law will hold YOU accountable, not your dispatcher or manager. I always ran a scanner on the road so I had accurate, up to date and official road and weather conditions of what was happening in front of me so I could advise dispatch in advance of what needed to be done. I felt I owed them that. The last thing I needed when I was dealing with the added stress of weather and traffic was to get in an argument with a dispatcher over 1000 miles away in a climate controlled office somewhere. That usually never ended well. Never had that problem here, but I could tell you a couple of stories of my time at Garrett Freightlines (ANR) back in the early 80s. It still makes my palms sweat just thinking about it. Yeah they were union, but here is how they kept their drivers cowed. They always selected a couple of drivers early every winter that dropped triple trailers in inclement weather and fired them. Yes, they always got their jobs back when it went to grievance, but never with back pay and benefits, so they essentially got a 30 day unpaid vacation. Like I said, I really appreciated it here at ABF.

Didn't know anything about the increased Liability with triples and fog,.......Enlightening,......Thanks for your perspective!

I always told the guys I represented as steward that:......."The only reason the company pays you the....Big Bucks...in driving,.....is NOT because of your driving Skills and Abilities,.....
....but because of your Willingness to Assume ALL the Liability,...once you've driven off company property and onto Public Streets..."

Flat out,.....in this job, you literally have your life in your hands,.........Your professionalism is....what keeps the company profitable....(..i.e: Out of Lawsuits..)......
I'll bet the company didn't offer to compensate you for the scanner you bought,......even though your vast experience made the decision to run that scanner,...and probably a CB,......to constantly monitor road conditions and make intelligent choices....

And it's....ironic,.......that the "equipment" the company is willing to pay for.....is purely punitive, after-the-accident, discipline-associated......cameras......GPS.......other "driver-monitoring" things,.....
.....INSTEAD of ROAD-MONITORING things......like scanners and CBs...

I'll bet Dollars to Doughnuts,...I avoided more accidents, bad road conditions, and closures....with a CB radio,...than I ever did,..or would,....with a camera,...facing either way,....

Yet,.....if you'd say: "Howzabout you paying for a CB....or a scanner?"....They'd smirk and laugh and say: "We're not paying for Toys..."

The only one that gets.....electronic "Toys"....is the Dispatcher and TM.....Cameras to harass the Employees........NOT to Prevent or Avoid accidents.......

Company says: "We believe in Technology...".....when we can use it in our nice, warm, cushy office to run constant surveillance on those Lazy Drivers a thousand miles away......

And they DON'T believe in.....Technology.....that the driver ,...in a small, poorly heated, or swelteringly hot,..cramped cab,...with 80,000..or 105,000 lbs. sashaying around behind him,...in a snowstorm,...or fog,...or holiday traffic,...or tornadoes.....
....can lay his hands on IMMEDIATELY,....and determine road conditions ....Right Where he is.......

No,....Those are "Toys"....the driver is playing with.......

honestly canary, that scanner saved me so much grief in the winter by knowing what was happening up to 30-40 miles ahead of me all the time that I considered it essential equipment. Wrong way drivers ahead, crashes, road closures, chain control about to go up or come down, chain restrictions/weather restrictions for triples, etc. It made my job both more entertaining and a lot safer. I used to chuckle to myself and think I have paid a 100 bucks at a carnival before to have this much excitement, and THEY'RE paying ME! There were many terrifying hours for sure, like the world-class freezing rainstorms in the Columbia River Gorge, but the adrenalin almost got addictive. I made a few deals with the Lord in some of those that I haven't held up my end of the bargain on very well. I hope He has forgotten most of them. And for those that are wondering why we all just didn't park the equipment, there's a simple answer. Our competition was moving so I figured I should be as well. You either do the job or the customers will find another carrier that will. And they're the ones that write the checks that pay the bills. They're the real bosses, not the suits in the front office.

I have no problem with the outward facing camera if it’s used the way they said.
Visitor here. I personally don’t have a problem with inward camera if it was used the way they said, to combat distracted driving. I have a problem with the tenth of a second closer than they want, etc shown on the outward cam. All the years, the two different cameras, never had a “hard braking” video or an accident. You’d think that’d be acceptable.

honestly canary, that scanner saved me so much grief in the winter by knowing what was happening up to 30-40 miles ahead of me all the time that I considered it essential equipment. Wrong way drivers ahead, crashes, road closures, chain control about to go up or come down, chain restrictions/weather restrictions for triples, etc. It made my job both more entertaining and a lot safer. I used to chuckle to myself and think I have paid a 100 bucks at a carnival before to have this much excitement, and THEY'RE paying ME! There were many terrifying hours for sure, like the world-class freezing rainstorms in the Columbia River Gorge, but the adrenalin almost got addictive. I made a few deals with the Lord in some of those that I haven't held up my end of the bargain on very well. I hope He has forgotten most of them. And for those that are wondering why we all just didn't park the equipment, there's a simple answer. Our competition was moving so I figured I should be as well. You either do the job or the customers will find another carrier that will. And they're the ones that write the checks that pay the bills. They're the real bosses, not the suits in the front office.

Ahh,....you're talking about Professional Pride. Your skills are largely measured against your Peers,.....the Other guys in the trucks. I can definately understand that......
And,....yes......I've come down a few hills,....not quite straight,.......

And I was glad I wasn't sitting on a Vinyl seat,.......because I can definately tell you that the human body can draw Suction from any Orifice...........

But,.....we are the ones with a couple million miles under the belt......(...or, in the case of Truck drivers....over the belt..).....Far more than just about any other occupation,...we can look at...bad road conditions and say:...."Been there, done that, seen it before,....Piece of cake...".....
......where you'd have your desk jockey in his 2 ton AWD SUV.....quaking in his Silk Underwear,...looking for a motel for the night.....

I guess you could say "different strokes for different folks" It never entered my mind, if the competition was moving or John Doe was still on the road, if it felt it unsafe, I parked the truck.
I had a dispatcher tell me" So n So made it, I don't understand why you can't"
Told him, "I guess he is just a better driver, I'll tell you where your truck is parked, if you need it before the roads get better, just send So n So back for it, I'll be in bed".
Never had my silk underwear with me, but I was pretty good at finding a warm bed.

I guess you could say "different strokes for different folks" It never entered my mind, if the competition was moving or John Doe was still on the road, if it felt it unsafe, I parked the truck.
I had a dispatcher tell me" So n So made it, I don't understand why you can't"
Told him, "I guess he is just a better driver, I'll tell you where your truck is parked, if you need it before the roads get better, just send So n So back for it, I'll be in bed".
Never had my silk underwear with me, but I was pretty good at finding a warm bed.

It still was your experience that had you make that call.........

And.....Silk Underwear ain't all it's cracked up to be.......Smells worse than Cotton after a week or two.......Hard to get rust stains out, too......

I’ve ran that gorge before, but not in ridiculously bad weather, and certainly not often. The wind was my ‘favorite’.

When the ditches & the median are so full of wrecked equipment you need reservations to park your rig there it is time to stop. I always thought most customers understood that stopping for ice & having their freight delivered late was better than having damaged freight delivered even later. It takes quite a while to unload a wrecked trailer.

Now that the dash cam's are installed it seems my Tm can't step away from his screen from watching our every move, & now he is encouraging others in the office to join in. He is even going as far as taking still pictures. Any other terminals having this problem? I thought they were going to be used in case of a accident? Can they use the footage for discipline. Seeing how slow we are one would think the TM would be out selling, but after several years here and zero accounts why start now.
Our safety man was up a month ago and stressed his displeasure with my version of taping the lens over and the camera being more looking at airplanes than the road. I told him when our office clerk wasn't on one of her personal 50 phone calls a day or runing her daughter to work while punched in she was taking pictures of me telling me what I was doing wrong.he told me next time that she did it call him directly. Has not happened again yet.but she is to nosey not to watch just keeping her pie hole shut.

Our safety man was up a month ago and stressed his displeasure with my version of taping the lens over and the camera being more looking at airplanes than the road. I told him when our office clerk wasn't on one of her personal 50 phone calls a day or runing her daughter to work while punched in she was taking pictures of me telling me what I was doing wrong.he told me next time that she did it call him directly. Has not happened again yet.but she is to nosey not to watch just keeping her pie hole shut.
I complained here & other sites about incompetent people in charge, and not a damn thing done. As far as recording us & bringing these drives in the office to show them what they did wrong is going to be addressed next week at our union meeting. I was helped out by a fellow member on here to have the company put in writing what their true intention are with these cameras....is it safety or spying? Other companies coach their drivers for having some kind of incident such as hard breaking which will trigger off the camera, our management is weaponizing it as tool for discipline....

When the ditches & the median are so full of wrecked equipment you need reservations to park your rig there it is time to stop. I always thought most customers understood that stopping for ice & having their freight delivered late was better than having damaged freight delivered even later. It takes quite a while to unload a wrecked trailer.
I had a customer call me, when I was in management, from San Francisco to complain about his freight being late. I explained that the highway was closed due to weather at the state line. His response was, while looking out his window no doubt, “ it’s sunny here”. Priceless.

I had a customer call me, when I was in management, from San Francisco to complain about his freight being late. I explained that the highway was closed due to weather at the state line. His response was, while looking out his window no doubt, “ it’s sunny here”. Priceless.
I’m going to ask my terminal manager if he was ever employed in San Francisco.... LOL

I’m going to ask my terminal manager if he was ever employed in San Francisco.... LOL
I think there bored in the office. What do 3 people do in one small barn all day? We enter all the bills as we pick up.Do all the mileage in the browser,call all the customers for appointments,Do all the dock work,enter the bills as we move freight on the dock , pickup or deliver rain or shine while being responsible for the freight,customer relations and tractor trailer while being harrased by a bunch of childish bullies who couldn't figure out how to open a door knob without a conference call.

I think there bored in the office. What do 3 people do in one small barn all day? We enter all the bills as we pick up.Do all the mileage in the browser,call all the customers for appointments,Do all the dock work,enter the bills as we move freight on the dock , pickup or deliver rain or shine while being responsible for the freight,customer relations and tractor trailer while being harrased by a bunch of childish bullies who couldn't figure out how to open a door knob without a conference call.
They should be out selling....last time I asked it was part of their job description....

I mentioned once before that if office people have time to spy on you the office is overstaffed. Tell the nosy office people that the company is going to install cameras in the office next.

Ahh,.....10-4! I get fixated on the ......criminal IMO, use of Driver-facing cameras to the point where I forget that,......a bored TM,...twiddling his fingers at the desk,...and worrying that his dishonest employees may be cheating him out of 5 minutes of "productive" time,.....
....will absolutely figure out a way to use any sort of surveillance device as a means to cudgel drivers into submission,...by reminding them constantly that....Big Brother Is Watching!......After all,..it works real well with kindergarteners.....
....and we all know how "highly".....management regards our work ethic......(...seeing how much his own "ethic" allows him to...skate on the companies' dime with impunity,...and little accountability,.......he automatically thinks his employees are as lazy and deceptive as ....he is....Human Nature....).....

Idle Minds are the Devil's Workshop!...........After a morning of playing Candy Crush on his (company-paid-for) phone,...three cups of coffee,...a flurry of texts to wife, friends, beer distributor, BMW dealership,.....

Hey don’t be talking bad about BMW dealers, they’re my bread and butter now... lol

say what? Still in their PJ's at 0900 looking @ a computer screen...after all, they work for "ArcBest"..no accountability to the "old" ABF Freight System..

Hah!....I figured out what "ArcBest" means....

Accountability
really
can't
Be
supervisor
test.....

And,....Please don't mention supervisors in their PJ's........I get the visual image of Ralphie, bunny ears,...and trap-doors.....Gives me a shudder,....and not in a good way......