ABF | Driver-facing Cameras

What it means is all trucks will have cameras installed before turning them on . So no driver can have a grievance that's why my trucks has one or doesn't have one when the other drivers truck is different. The company out smarted them. They are there. So turn them all on same day by removing cover before you leave yard . Bye bye grievance. So how many are going to retire now over it?
Me

Then why are they being installed anyway . Why was it not part of contract. See what's happening in front your eyes you might learn something. If you had power to stop it they wouldn't have ever been bought in first place . Do you think a strike will be called over it. That's only way it might stop .

Then why are they being installed anyway . Why was it not part of contract. See what's happening in front your eyes you might learn something. If you had power to stop it they wouldn't have ever been bought in first place . Do you think a strike will be called over it. That's only way it might stop .
How long have you been working here?

Is that how it goes seniority means you can tell the future. Father was union. Grandfather was union.. union is not the union of thirty years ago. Yes it still helps but without drivers standing together as one and willing to do what's needed . Nothing will happen. And I'm not suggesting anything to do on this. I'm just stating its a different time in the world. I've accepted the cameras are coming for all companies.

Also anyone asking questions and having opinions you don't agree with is called reckless. So at your union meetings everyone always agrees every time. Just like the vote is always 100 percent one direction each time , did you even ask my opinion. I don't like the driver facing cameras . But what i like wont always be in the contract. Right .

What it means is all trucks will have cameras installed before turning them on . So no driver can have a grievance that's why my trucks has one or doesn't have one when the other drivers truck is different. The company out smarted them. They are there. So turn them all on same day by removing cover before you leave yard . Bye bye grievance. So how many are going to retire now over it?
None. Those who do not want a camera taking their mug shot will take a dock bid. Unless you are a road driver or way down on the Totem Pole on the city board. von.

Is that how it goes seniority means you can tell the future. Father was union. Grandfather was union.. union is not the union of thirty years ago. Yes it still helps but without drivers standing together as one and willing to do what's needed . Nothing will happen. And I'm not suggesting anything to do on this. I'm just stating its a different time in the world. I've accepted the cameras are coming for all companies.

I keep reading the union don't do this or that, like they did in the old days, I won't disagree, but our laws have changed so much, things we did 30, 40, or 50 years ago, could mean a big fine or even jail time today.
Plus we don't have 70% of LTL carriers organized, like those days.

Also anyone asking questions and having opinions you don't agree with is called reckless. So at your union meetings everyone always agrees every time. Just like the vote is always 100 percent one direction each time , did you even ask my opinion. I don't like the driver facing cameras . But what i like wont always be in the contract. Right .

Well,....That's wrong, Brother. You can make a difference if you're not afraid of the courage of your convictions......
AND,....If you are fore-armed with knowledge. Get a copy of the Local's Bylaws,....Get a copy of the IBT's Constitution,.....Understand a little of Labor law, and who is the "governing body"....usually the NLRB.

Your Local needs a quorum at every meeting to ...conduct business. "Roberts Rules of Order" is the guideline for what is a quorum.... Pack the meeting with like-minded Brother and Sisters, and the Local will be forced to officially deal with you. ON Record......

Too many guys nowadays say: "What's the use?",.....and sit on their hands at a meeting......Some are scared of "mean glances" by the Officers,....some are scared by the "buddies" of the Officers who dominate from the floor........

Hey! We're Truck drivers! I'm sure you've slid off a snowy hill sideways with 40 tons of freight in your hands and a 4-wheeler stopped dead in front of you......Any man that can ....handle....that situation...shouldn't be "scared"...of a few dirty looks by some soft-handed, pot-bellied, well-dressed, sartorially-manicured.....ELECTED "official"......

And when the "buddies" stand up to shout you down,..........ask the President to have the Sargeant-Of-Arms remove them,...for disruption of your RIGHT to be heard from the Floor.........Make a Motion to do so.......It's in the Bylaws.....

And it works.....I've done it.....Others have, too......"Robert's Rules of Order" contains mechanisms to...PREVENT....outbursts that are not recognized by the Podium......They'll get their chance to speak.........AFTER you've had your UNINTERRUPTED say......

Take NOTES! Drives 'em Crazy!.....But you've documented what goes on......Great for filing Labor Charges......(..and they KNOW it!)....

Biggest problem in our Union, nowadays,...is that most members DON'T participate,.......usually out of a sense of Futility......

Guess Who Wins, then?

.....And,....If you don't like cameras,....you'll find you've got a lot of company........News stories about how San Francisco is ending citywide Facial Recognition cameras,...because they violate indiscriminately,..peoples' Civil Rights.....

Other news stories about Privacy,....and how employers are using Employment-At-will,...to "claim" their employees are giving their..."implied consent"..to cameras,..by PUNCHING IN to work......(...Whaddya think, non-Union guys?...Time to Organize?......Nah.....I didn't think so...)......

If you don't like having a camera shoved in your face,.....and you are worried about the potential use,...and MISUSE...of any video captured by the company,...(...and maybe SOLD to a Third Party by the company..).....

.....Then put your Money where your Mouth is,.....and sign a letter stating that the company DOES NOT have the Right to view, use, or sell YOUR IMAGE,...WITHOUT your EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT,..on a "per use" basis........
Give it to the Union and the Company to put in your file........

Essentially, it will "shut down" camera abuse/use,........because they CAN NOT "admit" they saw you.......without you having the ability to ...sue in court.......

They already can't "hear" you....because that violates existing Federal Wiretap laws.........

Fight back,....not just with the Union,...but with the Laws of our Country.......

Look at the Saia guys,......Gotta accept cameras,...and NO CB radios in trucks.......What's next?......a 10' leash to keep them within reach of the truck while on break?.......

Once again,....Being in a Union.....is an.."intelligence test"......

I keep reading the union don't do this or that, like they did in the old days, I won't disagree, but our laws have changed so much, things we did 30, 40, or 50 years ago, could mean a big fine or even jail time today.
Plus we don't have 70% of LTL carriers organized, like those days.

Knowledge is Power.......All that you have said is correct, Brother......Which is why it is critical to understand what the Law is......

And remember Union history,......I know you've lived a lot of it,.....but, in the '20's and '30's...(before your time..)...Union membership was only about 10% of the workforce.....
It was only when Big Business' egregious abuse of working people finally got out of hand,....that people stood up and organized to the high point in the '70's,...of, as you've stated,...70% of the Labor force in general....

Read about the Great Flint(Mich.) GM sit down strike of 1936,..........and the abuses of the company-owned Coal and Iron Police here in my area of Western Penna.......

Abuse and insult enough workers,......and we'll be back to 70% again.....

I've always said the only time a non-Union guy thinks about joining a Union.....is a half-hour after he's been fired,..and a week after he's retired......
In both cases,....too late......

Keep on shoving this technology, cameras, surveillance, stupid rules to protect the stupid from themselves,........and,...sooner or later, you'll get a.."reaction".....

Well,....That's wrong, Brother. You can make a difference if you're not afraid of the courage of your convictions......
AND,....If you are fore-armed with knowledge. Get a copy of the Local's Bylaws,....Get a copy of the IBT's Constitution,.....Understand a little of Labor law, and who is the "governing body"....usually the NLRB.

Your Local needs a quorum at every meeting to ...conduct business. "Roberts Rules of Order" is the guideline for what is a quorum.... Pack the meeting with like-minded Brother and Sisters, and the Local will be forced to officially deal with you. ON Record......

Too many guys nowadays say: "What's the use?",.....and sit on their hands at a meeting......Some are scared of "mean glances" by the Officers,....some are scared by the "buddies" of the Officers who dominate from the floor........

Hey! We're Truck drivers! I'm sure you've slid off a snowy hill sideways with 40 tons of freight in your hands and a 4-wheeler stopped dead in front of you......Any man that can ....handle....that situation...shouldn't be "scared"...of a few dirty looks by some soft-handed, pot-bellied, well-dressed, sartorially-manicured.....ELECTED "official"......

And when the "buddies" stand up to shout you down,..........ask the President to have the Sargeant-Of-Arms remove them,...for disruption of your RIGHT to be heard from the Floor.........Make a Motion to do so.......It's in the Bylaws.....

And it works.....I've done it.....Others have, too......"Robert's Rules of Order" contains mechanisms to...PREVENT....outbursts that are not recognized by the Podium......They'll get their chance to speak.........AFTER you've had your UNINTERRUPTED say......

Take NOTES! Drives 'em Crazy!.....But you've documented what goes on......Great for filing Labor Charges......(..and they KNOW it!)....

Biggest problem in our Union, nowadays,...is that most members DON'T participate,.......usually out of a sense of Futility......

Guess Who Wins, then?

Yep, get 2 or 3 bros. that know Roberts Rules and you can have your say at the meeting, if it's chaired right, if not, you have a case.

Update on the grievance filed in W.Pa. on driver-facing cameras.
The company in question.......not ABF.......has stated that the cameras are installed in the trucks......and at some point, will be turned on....
However,....since the cameras are.....not “on”....the grievance has no bearing.

The grievance was withdrawn with the right to re-file .....WHEN.....the company does turn the cameras on...

There is tape on the camera lens also....

The employees of this company did sign a petition stating that the company does NOT have their individual permission to.....view, use, or sell......their personal images......

Dead Silence on that matter....from the corporate level.....

Hmmmm........Could that refusal to allow the company to....view...your personal image.....
......bother them...from a legal standpoint,.....more than a grievance?

Update on the grievance filed in W.Pa. on driver-facing cameras.
The company in question.......not ABF.......has stated that the cameras are installed in the trucks......and at some point, will be turned on....
However,....since the cameras are.....not “on”....the grievance has no bearing.

The grievance was withdrawn with the right to re-file .....WHEN.....the company does turn the cameras on...

There is tape on the camera lens also....

The employees of this company did sign a petition stating that the company does NOT have their individual permission to.....view, use, or sell......their personal images......

Dead Silence on that matter....from the corporate level.....

Hmmmm........Could that refusal to allow the company to....view...your personal image.....
......bother them...from a legal standpoint,.....more than a grievance?
the ONLY thing these companies understand is what hits their pocket book $$$ nothing else!

AND duct tape still works..

.....And,....If you don't like cameras,....you'll find you've got a lot of company........News stories about how San Francisco is ending citywide Facial Recognition cameras,...because they violate indiscriminately,..peoples' Civil Rights.....

Other news stories about Privacy,....and how employers are using Employment-At-will,...to "claim" their employees are giving their..."implied consent"..to cameras,..by PUNCHING IN to work......(...Whaddya think, non-Union guys?...Time to Organize?......Nah.....I didn't think so...)......

If you don't like having a camera shoved in your face,.....and you are worried about the potential use,...and MISUSE...of any video captured by the company,...(...and maybe SOLD to a Third Party by the company..).....

.....Then put your Money where your Mouth is,.....and sign a letter stating that the company DOES NOT have the Right to view, use, or sell YOUR IMAGE,...WITHOUT your EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT,..on a "per use" basis........
Give it to the Union and the Company to put in your file........

Essentially, it will "shut down" camera abuse/use,........because they CAN NOT "admit" they saw you.......without you having the ability to ...sue in court.......

They already can't "hear" you....because that violates existing Federal Wiretap laws.........

Fight back,....not just with the Union,...but with the Laws of our Country.......

Look at the Saia guys,......Gotta accept cameras,...and NO CB radios in trucks.......What's next?......a 10' leash to keep them within reach of the truck while on break?.......

Once again,....Being in a Union.....is an.."intelligence test"......
God Bless My Teamsters Union! Without them we wouldnt have a chance!

God Bless My Teamsters Union! Without them we wouldnt have a chance!

Hah!.......A Warning, Brother!.....I can recognize "Sarcasm" three times out of five.........umm...mostly....

But think of how badly off you would be without a Collective Bargaining process......You'd be "Employed-At-Will",....meaning you have no First Amendment Rights when you punched in.......(..or Fourth, Fifth,....and sundry other Rights trumped by the capitalists in charge of Profit and Loss...).....

At least,.....Warts and all,......there is a framework to...try and retain your Rights and Dignity,....in a Union.....

Our problem in the Teamsters,..........is that we keep electing those....Warts.........

Hah!.......A Warning, Brother!.....I can recognize "Sarcasm" three times out of five.........umm...mostly....

But think of how badly off you would be without a Collective Bargaining process......You'd be "Employed-At-Will",....meaning you have no First Amendment Rights when you punched in.......(..or Fourth, Fifth,....and sundry other Rights trumped by the capitalists in charge of Profit and Loss...).....

At least,.....Warts and all,......there is a framework to...try and retain your Rights and Dignity,....in a Union.....

Our problem in the Teamsters,..........is that we keep electing those....Warts.........
NO SARCASM 35 year teamster and I stand by my post!

I wish more rank and file had your point of view!

Actually low voter turnout and lack of participation..