XPO | Driver let go for....

peckerwood

TB Lurker
Credits
driver leaving xsw fac on an xma via pulling sealed loads that was handed to him by fos, my understanding front box manifest 16,800 and back box 13,100. driver hooks accordingly and leaves xsw makes a right out of terminal and goes 50 yards makes left at stop light goes thru two stop lights and while stopped at third light (waiting on traffic) on a green "yield to oncoming traffic" light makes left hand turn to get on ramp to 57 south, while making a normal turn onto ramp lays back box over. State trooper shows up without any questions asumes driver is quilty of traveling to fast in turn and writes a citation. Box was set upright pulled back to xsw and rewieghed where it was determined back boxs was over manifest (not scanned on) by ten thousand ibs. Driver had a company wittness (weights and inspections guy) following behind him and seen the the trailer lay over and wrote statement that driver was making a normal turn. If i'm not mistaken it was an xpo driver with 2 years in with perfect credintials. Point is it could be you driver 2 yrs or 20. This company is trimming fat and they could care less about your future. This driver had his say with the (so called) con way review board but that so called rollover (at his fault) will follow him for many years and con way wont own up to no one that trailer was over manifest. Think it cant happen to you, God forbid it does with all the new laws in place but if so wether you have 2 or 20 years with these new csa rules a roll over is major career ending stuff and con way could care less about covering your butt. Just something to think about.

Just like you said...cover your ass..always drive like everything is top-heavy ans you wont have a problem. You can't trust anybody loading these trailers right now.

I assume this was recent? He has not gone through the ETRB review yet.As long as the W+T is willing to provide a statement, he will be fine. Will keep his job on appeal. Funny... I thought the SCO's were suppose to provide accountability??????

Nothing ever changes. Prior to the hand-helds freight was loaded without writing it on the manifest, now freight is loaded without being scanned.

I assume this was recent? He has not gone through the ETRB review yet.As long as the W+T is willing to provide a statement, he will be fine. Will keep his job on appeal. Funny... I thought the SCO's were suppose to provide accountability??????

mobilesco is just used to harass those who actually move freight..

I don't get it, weren't they just crying about not being able to get qualified drivers? He should talk to a lawyer. If he has all the documentation it's a winner. They have wrongfully injured his ability to earn a livelihood by placing the blame on him while totally ignoring the overwhelming evidence that the blame lied elsewhere.

Pro history on handheld shows last inquired dsr , nice place to start.

what about door congestion where freight for like 2 different SIC's are right next to each other and you are trying to find your freight. You scan a pro, it ain't yours and you continue on your search. Then for some reason on FAC wrapup it gets thrown in the trailer, not scanned and you are the last person that loaded it. what then?

Too many flaws in the handheld accountability piece.

You Are 100% Right Driver Con- way Don't Give a Damn about there people its about the Almighty Dollar !! They are going to bankrupt this Outfit with all the Damned BS Cover your A$$ And Don't Be an A$$ if you see something Wrong with a fellow Brothers **** help him out we have to watch our Backs all of us I am a Former Marine I firmly believe we are all in this Together we must all work together not against each other !!

driver leaving xsw fac on an xma via pulling sealed loads that was handed to him by fos, my understanding front box manifest 16,800 and back box 13,100. driver hooks accordingly and leaves xsw makes a right out of terminal and goes 50 yards makes left at stop light goes thru two stop lights and while stopped at third light (waiting on traffic) on a green "yield to oncoming traffic" light makes left hand turn to get on ramp to 57 south, while making a normal turn onto ramp lays back box over. State trooper shows up without any questions asumes driver is quilty of traveling to fast in turn and writes a citation. Box was set upright pulled back to xsw and rewieghed where it was determined back boxs was over manifest (not scanned on) by ten thousand ibs. Driver had a company wittness (weights and inspections guy) following behind him and seen the the trailer lay over and wrote statement that driver was making a normal turn. If i'm not mistaken it was an xpo driver with 2 years in with perfect credintials. Point is it could be you driver 2 yrs or 20. This company is trimming fat and they could care less about your future. This driver had his say with the (so called) con way review board but that so called rollover (at his fault) will follow him for many years and con way wont own up to no one that trailer was over manifest. Think it cant happen to you, God forbid it does with all the new laws in place but if so wether you have 2 or 20 years with these new csa rules a roll over is major career ending stuff and con way could care less about covering your butt. Just something to think about.

Just like you said...cover your ass..always drive like everything is top-heavy ans you wont have a problem. You can't trust anybody loading these trailers right now.

I beg to differ....I rolled a rear box quite a few years ago under the same kind of circumstances....I had a rear box manifested lighter than my front...(manifest said 12,000 lbs) full of sheet steel,then somebody decided to add another 10,000 lbs of forklift tires on top of the sheet steel that was NOT blocked in..went to make the left hand turn into the old XCG terminal and over she went do to the load shifting/over weight...Just cause you trun or drive slow doesnt mean it WONT EVER happen....

My understanding driver lost his etrb and appeal and that his unemployment was denied due to him not following precedure. My thoughts are, times are slow and this guy doing his job was pulling the right trailers manifested at the wrong weight unknown to him, lays the back box over that was wrongly manifest by over 10,000 ibs and he was the fall guy. Under new laws with csa a rollover is major points against the driver, his career tarnished for many years to come due to the fact he lost his job because of a rollover and no one from the company will be there for him to say hey that trailer was manifested wrong. Should you be scared? My point is, let this happen to anyone of us wether it be a 2 yr employee or 20 yr employee with a clean record and your career is over making good money because of csa. Do you think con way will ever own up up to csa that the trailer that driver was pulling was wrongly manifested? My point stands..... Any of our careers are 1 step away from being ruined by the ones who employee us.

he has a final appeal left. If that doesn't work, time to lawyer up and have at 'er.

It's a shame this guy is going to have to invest his own funds (which are now going to be in much shorter supply due to no job and no unemployment) to get a 5 billion dollar corporation to own up to the fact that it's wrong... Working the end of the night on outbound I see this stuff all the time, shove the freight on there, don't worry about signing it on the sup will get it, move on we gotta get those drivers on the road or it's our ass, then you get freight not manifested. Or something gets signed onto one trailer when it gets loaded on another... you see my point.

I don't know what the law is in his state, but if he works in an 'At Will' state he is S*** out of luck. The Will to work laws states an employee can be fired " with or without reason".

Whats the rest of this story, Trailers dont just fall over!:moon2:

Your exactly right. They don't just fall over. It takes somebody pulling them too fast around a corner too. That why I said be cautious.

You guys are exactly wrong....i take it neither of you have had the pleasure of experiancing a rear box roll over do to improper loading/freight shifting....until you do.then you tell us it was do to making the turn to fast.....When my rear box went over i was at a complete stop,i sat there and watched it rock back and forth until the spring busted and over it went...20,000 plus lbs on one side of any rear pup and it will go over no matter how slow you are going through a turn....if you dont beleive me,try it....

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the law is in his state, but if he works in an 'At Will' state he is S*** out of luck. The Will to work laws states an employee can be fired " with or without reason".

Sure, they can fire him all day long, they can't reach an erroneous judgement on responsibility for the accident in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and have it negatively impact the drivers livelyhood. He has legal recourse available. This is a thinly veiled attempt to cover up the companies poor loading and documentation procedures.