XPO | Driver let go for....

we have new dock workers that don't know the way to propely load a truck. I saw the other day a trailer in the first 4 feet hat 4800 lbs in it. Load it don't dock it. I also saw more weight on the racks and not on the floor. Who cares how they load it they can get another twelve dollar job somewhere else.

we have new dock workers that don't know the way to propely load a truck. I saw the other day a trailer in the first 4 feet hat 4800 lbs in it. Load it don't dock it. I also saw more weight on the racks and not on the floor. Who cares how they load it they can get another twelve dollar job somewhere else.

I've seen some of the drivers do that crap. They don't care, they don't have to pull it.

Ive seen the first two skids in the nose 5k+. I look at the handheld and go wtf. But i gladly rearranged it. But you get what you pay for. Instead of hiring competent people, con-way hires anyone with a pulse, then they whine and complain about claims ratios and blah blah blah.

Hazmat, poisions with food..oh man thats for another day..

Whats the rest of this story, Trailers dont just fall over!:moon2:

well drivers are in charge of their equipment afte leaving the gate! If the trailers were that far out of wieght on the manifest(and yes there are tell tail things to look for) the driver could have run the set over the scale and check the axle weight. This is why the c.s.a. came about... it is called accountablility. We are not perfect as drivers but; this is where we need to check and double check. I really do not care how long it take me to do the checks that I have personnelly put in place for myself. No one can protect you but you. I see who we have loading. Let's just truck safely and enjoy life...

I did and it states the trailer was reweighed to determine the 10,000 lbs.

The point is that if the trailer had been manifested correctly, it would have been the lead trailer, so all your questions about the set being straight, or shifting before it was are a moot point.

The point is that if the trailer had been manifested correctly, it would have been the lead trailer, so all your questions about the set being straight, or shifting before it was are a moot point.
well then never mind i do what i do and you can do what works for you...sorry to voice my opion.. i will keep on trucking...

moot point? that's where you are wrong. The last trailer of a doubles or triples combination runs a much higher risk of roll over, why? And most roll overs start at the rear axle of the set, why? So if converter position and shifting are moot points in regards to roll overs while turning, why don't the trailers roll over when traveling in a straight line? So not knowing anything about how the supposed extra 10,000 lbs was loaded, how big a deal is 10,000? In Ohio with triples, there is the "20%Rule". If the lightest trailer is placarded and within 20% of the gross of the second trailer, the driver is responsible to switch their order to get the placarded load out of the rear position of the set. So your reported loads here are 16,800 and 13,100. Adding 10,000 to the 13,100 puts the net at 23,100 or 33,100 gross. The other trailer comes in around 26,800 for gross weight. Using the 20% Rule the way these were hooked only puts the lead 320 pounds outside of 20%. Now the State of Ohio still considers 20% within safe operating guidelines.

The FMCSA has released a great video on roll overs and the tanker industry. So who has a greater risk of load shift, LTL on doubles or the tanker industry? Watch the video and input the words "load shift" in place of "slosh" and then come back and discuss moot points of roll overs please.

Cargo Tank Driver Rollover Prevention Video - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

well drivers are in charge of their equipment afte leaving the gate! If the trailers were that far out of wieght on the manifest(and yes there are tell tail things to look for) the driver could have run the set over the scale and check the axle weight. This is why the c.s.a. came about... it is called accountablility. We are not perfect as drivers but; this is where we need to check and double check. I really do not care how long it take me to do the checks that I have personnelly put in place for myself. No one can protect you but you. I see who we have loading. Let's just truck safely and enjoy life...

Wonder at the smaller barns without scales if the drivers get reimbursed time and money for going to a cat scale? Really none of us pulling sealed loads no what we are pulling without scaling the set. Not to mention your job is at risk, but a huge safety concern to the motoring public. If you (as a driver) have no idea what the weight of your trailers are and hit the big road with a heavy kite on a rainy day and have to hit the brakes well you get my point, we could very easily be talking death and not termination. It does not matter to me how that box turned over but what concerns me is that driver was pulling a back box 10,000 ibs over manifest and other than breaking the seal or scaling this box he had no idea what he was pulling.

moot point? that's where you are wrong. The last trailer of a doubles or triples combination runs a much higher risk of roll over, why? And most roll overs start at the rear axle of the set, why? So if converter position and shifting are moot points in regards to roll overs while turning, why don't the trailers roll over when traveling in a straight line? So not knowing anything about how the supposed extra 10,000 lbs was loaded, how big a deal is 10,000? In Ohio with triples, there is the "20%Rule". If the lightest trailer is placarded and within 20% of the gross of the second trailer, the driver is responsible to switch their order to get the placarded load out of the rear position of the set. So your reported loads here are 16,800 and 13,100. Adding 10,000 to the 13,100 puts the net at 23,100 or 33,100 gross. The other trailer comes in around 26,800 for gross weight. Using the 20% Rule the way these were hooked only puts the lead 320 pounds outside of 20%. Now the State of Ohio still considers 20% within safe operating guidelines.

The FMCSA has released a great video on roll overs and the tanker industry. So who has a greater risk of load shift, LTL on doubles or the tanker industry? Watch the video and input the words "load shift" in place of "slosh" and then come back and discuss moot points of roll overs please.

Cargo Tank Driver Rollover Prevention Video - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

I understand your points but I will argue till i'm blue in the face with these so called experts and what they believe. You and I both know that a perfectly loaded set will jack knife and therefore a 23100 behind a 16800 stands even a larger chance of danger. These guys use all science, I feel that science without common sense is dangerous.

I understand your points but I will argue till I'm blue in the face with these so called experts and what they believe. You and I both know that a perfectly loaded set will jack knife and therefore a 23100 behind a 16800 stands even a larger chance of danger. These guys use all science, I feel that science without common sense is dangerous.

Ignoring the driver's responsibility to drive smoothly and blaming the company and the loaders will never reduce rollovers. Science is the basis of common sense. While the safety tailgates and Monday morning meetings do little in giving us the reasons or relevance, the message itself telling us to drive slowly and not shift through turns is important. But in not explaining the science behind it most guys won't pay attention. Driving slowly, smoothly, and without shifting are critical common sense behaviors of turning wit sets. Every trailer has a "Basic Stability Factor" which is the point at which a trailer will roll over. This is a variable that is greatly influenced by driver behavior. In our everyday operation trailers are handed off to other drivers. A lot of roll overs do not occur with the first driver pulling that load, often it's been handed off. Driver behavior is the greatest root cause of roll over.

Had a guy get chewed out by a grey shirt for that. It wasn't over 23K so why is he scaling it ? That's stealing time. Trailer had 16K unmanifested on it. Two tow motors. Driver quit not much later. Grey shirt has gone on as well.

Ignoring the driver's responsibility to drive smoothly and blaming the company and the loaders will never reduce rollovers. Science is the basis of common sense. While the safety tailgates and Monday morning meetings do little in giving us the reasons or relevance, the message itself telling us to drive slowly and not shift through turns is important. But in not explaining the science behind it most guys won't pay attention. Driving slowly, smoothly, and without shifting are critical common sense behaviors of turning wit sets. Every trailer has a "Basic Stability Factor" which is the point at which a trailer will roll over. This is a variable that is greatly influenced by driver behavior. In our everyday operation trailers are handed off to other drivers. A lot of roll overs do not occur with the first driver pulling that load, often it's been handed off. Driver behavior is the greatest root cause of roll over.

I understand what you are saying. But disregarding the way a trailer is loaded is nonsense.

We have a guy that rolled his back box. When the trooper got there they pulled the door. And saw it was loaded so poorly the trooper wrote it up as a load failure. So much weight on the deck that the beams failed and shifted the load.

I understand what you are saying. But disregarding the way a trailer is loaded is nonsense.

We have a guy that rolled his back box. When the trooper got there they pulled the door. And saw it was loaded so poorly the trooper wrote it up as a load failure. So much weight on the deck that the beams failed and shifted the load.

how do you tell it was loaded poorly after it's been rolled over?

I'm not disregarding the way trailers are loaded, just stating fact, most often load shift is a by-product of driving habits and lateral transfer of energy. How many drivers actually look in their mirrors and consider the stability of their back box before they leave the yard? This is where rollover prevention starts.

moot point? that's where you are wrong. The last trailer of a doubles or triples combination runs a much higher risk of roll over, why? And most roll overs start at the rear axle of the set,

Exactly! The point is that if it had been manifested correctly it would not have been the last trailer.

I don't care what Ohio thinks.

Thanks for sharing your "book learnin'". I'll go with experience.

By the way, in my 20+ years with Con-Way, I have discovered 2 trailers manifested incorrectly enough to cause a wreck. If it's the lead, I can determine a 10,000 pound difference before I get it off the yard. If it's the rear, it's more difficult, probably need to get it up to highway speed. Yes, it has happened to me, but I broke the set down, and reversed the hook. I've never rolled a trailer.

how do you tell it was loaded poorly after it's been rolled over?

I'm not disregarding the way trailers are loaded, just stating fact, most often load shift is a by-product of driving habits and lateral transfer of energy. How many drivers actually look in their mirrors and consider the stability of their back box before they leave the yard? This is where rollover prevention starts.

I thought they said that one of the byproducts of the use of safestack was that when loads did roll, it would reduce the amount of damage to freight because of less room to move... so which is it?

I have said it before... it's your load, your responsibility. Crack the seal and inspect your load. Get grief from a grey shirt? demand he/she call the regional safety manager on the spot. Stop backing down from doing the right thing.

Exactly! The point is that if it had been manifested correctly it would not have been the last trailer.

I don't care what Ohio thinks.

Thanks for sharing your "book learnin'". I'll go with experience.

By the way, in my 20+ years with Con-Way, I have discovered 2 trailers manifested incorrectly enough to cause a wreck. If it's the lead, I can determine a 10,000 pound difference before I get it off the yard. If it's the rear, it's more difficult, probably need to get it up to highway speed. Yes, it has happened to me, but I broke the set down, and reversed the hook. I've never rolled a trailer.

23 1/2 and triples certified there junior... call it what you want, it is experience talking

at the end of the day a sharp turn with a set produces instability comparable to a card table... yes junior I said card table.

ever have one of those tables where one of the legs didn't lock? And what happened when that leg folded under? A tight turn with a dolly produces the same instability at the front of the back trailer and this allows the weight to be transfered from the inside rear duals to above and outside the opposite side. This "hangs" the center of gravity out over the outside duals creating the opportunity for the trailer to go beyond it's basic stability factor and roll.

I don't work for Conway but for YRC freight.our Business Agent and stewards talked with our company about the driver scaling his or her own loads before leaving yard.Its scaled by the hostler when hooked up and parked.So if the driver feels he or she is unsure of the weight for any reason.He or she can scale it.I think that's a cool deal.
I feel for the driver that lost his back box.I know that it may take a few miles before the load settles for the ride.so I always try to be gentle and not go to fast(like we go fast 62mph)lol.Plus our loaders on the dock are suspect at times.

I think that drivers at the barn where this driver is domiciled.Should protest for this driver.It could happen to you someday or me.