XPO | FedEx Freight, Con-way Freight Workers Reject Teamsters

Runawaytrain, I never post on non union forums, but, I can't keep still. James Riddel Hoffa was working in a totally labor friendly Market. Before Ted Kennedy ground his axe, Companies like OD, Estes, Overnite, Saia etc. were small Regional Carriers. who either couldn't or wouldn't expand because of Unionization fears, therefore they stayed in their own backyards. AF, Pitt-Ohio, R-L, etc., didn't exist until Deregulation.
The Government now allowed these Carriers to submit applications to expand, buy or lease facility's all over the Nation with out having to buy existing Rights and Carriers., as was the case before Ted Kennedy. Do you think this was fair to Yellow and Roadway and ABF, who spent Millions buying up smaller Carriers to get the entire Nation covered? I don't, I think Post Deregulation Carriers should have to pay a fee every year to those Carriers in every State they Operate in.

The "RELIEF" Contracts started with General Pres. Jackie Presser. Non of this is General Pres. or Freight Director or Package Director...Hoffa, Johnson or Halls fault. They are doing the very best they can on this un-level playing field. It's like trying to win a Formula 1 race driving a Formula Ford car.

If History has taught us anything, it's that what goes around, comes around. If we become the new Dinosaurs, the Haters will scramble to join any Union they can, because the Employers will truly show their true colors. We [Teamsters] are still the only first line of Defense.
:shift:
YRC Teamsters to Vote on 5-Year Contract Extension | Transport Topics Online | Trucking, Freight Transportation and Logistics News Old news.....But this is all I need to know about your beloved HOFFA JR.

I fail to see the problem? We had a vote, we all got Ballots,...what are you referring to? It couldn't be more honest than that. I really don't like going back and forth in this Forum, come see me in the YRCF Forum, I will honestly discuss any and all issues.

Management was getting their normal pay all along. Why would they take a bonus on top of their pay if the company was losing money.

Management was getting their normal pay all along. Why would they take a bonus on top of their pay if the company was losing money.
I don't have an answer to that Sir. I can't speculate, on what their Employment Contracts give them.

Runawaytrain, I never post on non union forums, but, I can't keep still. James Riddel Hoffa was working in a totally labor friendly Market. Before Ted Kennedy ground his axe, Companies like OD, Estes, Overnite, Saia etc. were small Regional Carriers. who either couldn't or wouldn't expand because of Unionization fears, therefore they stayed in their own backyards. AF, Pitt-Ohio, R-L, etc., didn't exist until Deregulation.
The Government now allowed these Carriers to submit applications to expand, buy or lease facility's all over the Nation with out having to buy existing Rights and Carriers., as was the case before Ted Kennedy. Do you think this was fair to Yellow and Roadway and ABF, who spent Millions buying up smaller Carriers to get the entire Nation covered? I don't, I think Post Deregulation Carriers should have to pay a fee every year to those Carriers in every State they Operate in.

The "RELIEF" Contracts started with General Pres. Jackie Presser. Non of this is General Pres. or Freight Director or Package Director...Hoffa, Johnson or Halls fault. They are doing the very best they can on this un-level playing field. It's like trying to win a Formula 1 race driving a Formula Ford car.

If History has taught us anything, it's that what goes around, comes around. If we become the new Dinosaurs, the Haters will scramble to join any Union they can, because the Employers will truly show their true colors. We [Teamsters] are still the only first line of Defense.
:shift:

A contract is the only line of defense, regardless if it's Teamsters or not... Some drivers on here belong to other unions other than Teamsters and I agree with you wholeheartedly... If I could take back 20 of my 31 years of my driving life, it would be with a contract... I think what happened on the extension of the pensions at YRC could have been looked at more closely and maybe a NO could have prevailed... But unlike the other concession time period, the drivers weren't given the chance to say NO.. That's what I hold against Hoffa.. Not putting it to a vote, but there are probably many untold things that they worked out that the drivers were never told... Extending it to 2019 was kick in the butt..

Did you mean to say Ted, or Bobby Kennedy?

Here's an article from 2009 by lifelong researcher and biographer that followed the Kennedy's for most of her life... I put it up for you to read the book if you like reading.. It's very interesting what they did to Hoffa Sr., but he was flamboyant and a little on the cocky side.. There were no times during Hoffa Sr.'s reign where he was in a "labor friendly" environment,IMO...

The Kennedy family was no friends of the Teamsters; as a Senate investigator, Bobby Kennedy interrogated Jimmy Hoffa harshly on his ties to the Mafia, and in 1960 wrote a book, The Enemy Within, about crooked unions. Teddy was close to Bobby and likely internalized this vendetta. "Bobby Kennedy saw Hoffa as absolute evil," historian Ronald Steelf has said. "And so he could elevate this struggle against Hoffa into some kind of titanic moral issue, which is why he became so dedicated to it." Indeed, for a time after JFK's assassination, Teddy suspected Mafia involvement as a result of Bobby's Hoffa investigation. But never proven...

That's why I say, if the Kennedy's(Bobby and JFK) lived in today's time, they wouldn't be Democrats that supported unions.. And that's basically what I see in the current regime... I hear people say that Obama is Democrat through and through, well, on some things he may be, but a lot of things he's off the chart...

Last edited by a moderator:
A contract is the only line of defense, regardless if it's Teamsters or not... Some drivers on here belong to other unions other than Teamsters and I agree with you wholeheartedly... If I could take back 20 of my 31 years of my driving life, it would be with a contract... I think what happened on the extension of the pensions at YRC could have been looked at more closely and maybe a NO could have prevailed... But unlike the other concession time period, the drivers weren't given the chance to say NO.. That's what I hold against Hoffa.. Not putting it to a vote, but there are probably many untold things that they worked out that the drivers were never told... Extending it to 2019 was kick in the butt..

Did you mean to say Ted, or Bobby Kennedy?

Here's an article from 2009 by lifelong researcher and biographer that followed the Kennedy's for most of her life... I put it up for you to read the book if you like reading.. It's very interesting what they did to Hoffa Sr., but he was flamboyant and a little on the cocky side.. There were no times during Hoffa Sr.'s reign where he was in a "labor friendly" environment,IMO...

The Kennedy family was no friends of the Teamsters; as a Senate investigator, Bobby Kennedy interrogated Jimmy Hoffa harshly on his ties to the Mafia, and in 1960 wrote a book, The Enemy Within, about crooked unions. Teddy was close to Bobby and likely internalized this vendetta. "Bobby Kennedy saw Hoffa as absolute evil," historian Ronald Steelf has said. "And so he could elevate this struggle against Hoffa into some kind of titanic moral issue, which is why he became so dedicated to it." Indeed, for a time after JFK's assassination, Teddy suspected Mafia involvement as a result of Bobby's Hoffa investigation. But never proven...

That's why I say, if the Kennedy's(Bobby and JFK) lived in today's time, they wouldn't be Democrats that supported unions.. And that's basically what I see in the current regime... I hear people say that Obama is Democrat through and through, well, on some things he may be, but a lot of things he's off the chart...
I always felt Hoffa caved ..... Something I don't think his Father would have done. ABF was totally hoodwinked ... Just look at those 3rd quarter results.

I always felt Hoffa caved ..... Something I don't think his Father would have done. ABF was totally hoodwinked ... Just look at those 3rd quarter results.

If you don't think one follows suit of the other, the YRC deal proves it.. Everyone in our business took concessions after that happened... ABF was hoodwinked? ABF drivers were PISSED, and still are... Along with the rest...

The non's called it Recession Workforce Allowance... Basically, we're screwing you.... First thing Hoffa should have done is request all financial statements seen and unseen.. Offshore accounts, everything..... And published that for the banks...

YRC withheld a lot of money they had, but not seen and now it's surfacing....

you say you are close to retirement, and have worked both union and non. anyone with time in on the union side would pick abf for the pension contributions alone. the 6% match at saia doesnt even match what yrcw guys get on their concessions. unfortunately, ABF guys know what they have to compete against, thats why a lot of them are not happy....

you say you are close to retirement, and have worked both union and non. anyone with time in on the union side would pick abf for the pension contributions alone. the 6% match at saia doesnt even match what yrcw guys get on their concessions. unfortunately, ABF guys know what they have to compete against, thats why a lot of them are not happy....
Everything I have done in my 40+ year career has been done with retirement in mind ... Everything I have invested in has been rolled over into an IRA ...... My wife's 401K and mutual funds conclude that I will never worry about money in my retirement years .... What Saia may or may not do is irrelevant .... It will only be icing on the cake. Dave Ramsey has taught me very well. You probably don't even know who he is ... I always have taken control of my financial security with great care .... ABF's pension is fine .... But in the end the path I have chosen will leave me better off in a financial sense.... We all are different and to try and compare me with what others have is really just pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything I have done in my 40+ year career has been done with retirement in mind ... Everything I have invested in has been rolled over into an IRA ...... My wife's 401K and mutual funds conclude that I will never worry about money in my retirement years .... What Saia may or may not do is irrelevant .... It will only be icing on the cake. Dave Ramsey has taught me very well. You probably don't even know who he is ... I always have taken control of my financial security with great care .... ABF's pension is fine .... But in the end the path I have chosen will leave me better off in a financial sense.... We all are different and to try and compare me with what others have is really just pointless.

I chose to manage my own future.. Some don't, some do.. One over the other, would just describe the arrogance of "the status qou"........IMO

good for you, it wasnt a dig though, but a question. you say you have worked on both sides of the fence, that would lead me to beleive that you are vested in a pension fund somewhere, am i wrong? if you are, if you are so worried about retirement, then why not take abf's 11+ dollars an hour into the pension fund?

get where im going with my statement now?

A pension that the the corporation felt obligated to would be great for my retirement. What ever I saved is absolutely irrelevant to that issue. Apparently they were not totally honest and it does not make me happy. I will do what ever I can to make that right.

A pension that the the corporation felt obligated to would be great for my retirement. What ever I saved is absolutely irrelevant to that issue. Apparently they were not totally honest and it does not make me happy. I will do what ever I can to make that right.

I can remember when 401K's came in and companies opted their pensions in lieu of the 401K plan.. That's when I started my own IRA that my wife and I manage to this day.. I see your point and the pension does a wonderful thing, but the 2 companies that I have worked for, for last 25 years have disbanded their pensions.. I am still vested in those pensions as well as a Teamster pension... It will take a Philadelphia lawyer to figure out how to get my pensions come time for me to draw on those other two companies... I seen this, and that's when my wife and I stared the IRA plan.. We have enough in the IRA at this point, if I were to totally retire and sell the store, we could live very comfortable in our years left...

But you're absolutely correct, if I were a young man, or thought I had 25 years left me, I would go pension, but it would be mathematically thought out very seriously...

I won't disclose numbers in what both me and my wife have.... But we all know what the experts say you need to retire today .... 500K give or take and some say much more .... I say hogwash ... If your home is paid for ..... And you are debt free for the most part ..... If all you have is property taxes and basic homeowners insurance ... car.... etc ...Food ....Utilities and such ..... If your on Medicare and have a supplemental you don't need anywhere near a Million. Health is the most important factor in retirement and it's associated cost .... Honestly if I live to be 80 I will call that a good run ....My Dad died at 76 and my Mother at 86 .... I will not go in a retirement home ... I told my kids when I die to burn me up and spread my ashes in the pond on my property .... Don't want an expensive funeral ... I shall be frugal even in my death...Yes I'm a tight old bastard ..... A trust will keep the IRS at bay ..... I will leave my children what I can like my parents did me .... But when my time comes to meet the maker .... I say .... Lets don't **** around....Lets get on with it .... Don't sit around crying over me .... I had a wonderful life .... I will see you on the other side of life ..... I will be waiting to help you find your way.

I won't disclose numbers in what both me and my wife have.... But we all know what the experts say you need to retire today .... 500K give or take and some say much more .... I say hogwash ... If your home is paid for ..... And you are debt free for the most part ..... If all you have is property taxes and basic homeowners insurance ... car.... etc ...Food ....Utilities and such ..... If your on Medicare and have a supplemental you don't need anywhere near a Million. Health is the most important factor in retirement and it's associated cost .... Honestly if I live to be 80 I will call that a good run ....My Dad died at 76 and my Mother at 86 .... I will not go in a retirement home ... I told my kids when I die to burn me up and spread my ashes in the pond on my property .... Don't want an expensive funeral ... I shall be frugal even in my death...Yes I'm a tight old bastard ..... A trust will keep the IRS at bay ..... I will leave my children what I can like my parents did me .... But when my time comes to meet the maker .... I say .... Lets don't **** around....Lets get on with it .... Don't sit around crying over me .... I had a wonderful life .... I will see you on the other side of life ..... I will be waiting to help you find your way.

I'm a capitalist according to Slave... I hear squeaking sounds from time to time when I walk..... But,