XPO | FedEx Freight, Con-way Freight Workers Reject Teamsters

Many know I did stand down on this issue ..... And I will continue to stand down.... I always knew it would come to this .... The union glory days are truly gone... America has changed along with the economic driver. ... We live in a different world ..... When I first posted the thread "Remember Overnite" most just laughed and said this new movement has caught fire and will spread like "Wild Fire" ...... And although that thread draws a different parallel the results will ultimately be the same ... The union can never gain enough leverage to push this through... The sad reality .... Because the union is not without some merit .... I only wish the Teamsters would move on from this LTL movement and find better ways to help the current members ... Will they continue to give again in 2019 ? The up and comers in this market will remain union free because they must have that competitive edge. Union work restrictions bring a big disadvantage .... A disadvantage that can be seen in this web sites bone yard. In my 40 plus years in this business I've seen and done it all ...... It's time to move on ....This is one battle the Teamsters will never win.... I think Hoffa knows this but for some reason he still wants to play .... Why ???? That's beyond me..... You do owe the Teamsters for what you have today .... I at least understand that.
So your saying that UPS and all their unionized employees are not going to make it ? next you'll be saying that the nons have better pensions and better medical . Don't all the union haters for what ever reason think that the unions are going have contracts that will put the company under . Fact is the unions want to keep theses companies business . So what else your saying its better to have employees that are on a down ward spiral . That way the company can to lower the rates at the employees expense .

So your saying that UPS and all their unionized employees are not going to make it ? next you'll be saying that the nons have better pensions and better medical . Don't all the union haters for what ever reason think that the unions are going have contracts that will put the company under . Fact is the unions want to keep theses companies business . So what else your saying its better to have employees that are on a down ward spiral . That way the company can to lower the rates at the employees expense .
No.... What I'm saying is the union has what they are going to get in the LTL market and will probably not ever gain another big player .... You guys are so damn defensive .... No one can have a different view point without you jumping all over them ... To quote a letter I recently received .... Our industry has changed significantly over the years. There was a time , when government controlled every aspect of it. Essentially, all carriers charged the same price for the same shipment. Rate increases were regulated ensuring a carrier's profitability without regard to the quality of service or efficiency. The industry was in a real jam, with very few, if any new carriers entering the market place. And not surprisingly, without price competition, most carriers were unionized. As regulations eased, the industry began to change quickly. For the first time, companies were allowed to charge as much, or as little, as their service was worth. Competition was king and the days of waiting on a government-approved rate increase were gone. The carriers who would survive and thrive were those who could meet customers demand of quality service at a competitive price. Carriers were forced to reinvent themselves and continuously improve from an efficiency standpoint. The carriers who could not change would not survive. The industry landscape continued to evolve in a free- market environment.

No.... What I'm saying is the union has what they are going to get in the LTL market and will probably not ever gain another big player .... You guys are so damn defensive .... No one can have a different view point without you jumping all over them ... To quote a letter I recently received .... Our industry has changed significantly over the years. There was a time , when government controlled every aspect of it. Essentially, all carriers charged the same price for the same shipment. Rate increases were regulated ensuring a carrier's profitability without regard to the quality of service or efficiency. The industry was in a real jam, with very few, if any new carriers entering the market place. And not surprisingly, without price competition, most carriers were unionized. As regulations eased, the industry began to change quickly. For the first time, companies were allowed to charge as much, or as little, as their service was worth. Competition was king and the days of waiting on a government-approved rate increase were gone. The carriers who would survive and thrive were those who could meet customers demand of quality service at a competitive price. Carriers were forced to reinvent themselves and continuously improve from an efficiency standpoint. The carriers who could not change would not survive. The industry landscape continued to evolve in a free- market environment.
Fast forward to the early 2000s .... Primary competition was (and still is) non-union as most union carriers went out of business as they could not compete in a tougher marketplace. Did these companies have bad employees? No, they had hardworking employees. They simply had a bad business model WITH RESTRICTIVE WORK RULES THAT MADE THEM UNCOMPETITIVE. Some of you may have even worked for one of these companies or had a family member who did. Good people in a bad situation. At the end of the day, without customers, no company can stay in business.

Some of the propaganda that is being spread amongst the workforce is that the union will change all the work rules and that our operational flexibility will be completely compromised. That somehow the union will take control and simply clog the finely tuned gears of Conway's operation.
NOT TRUE.
When we negotiate our contract, it will be OUR contract. We do not want to change the way we operate, therefore we will not use anyone else's contract. The corporation will not lose the flexibility it enjoys today. Drivers will still perform all of the duties they perform today. Fueling, dock work, minor maintenance, filling in for supervisors, etc, etc, nothing changes. There is nothing wrong with the way we bid the job selection from one board.
What I and some other senior drivers want is simply what was promised us if we would come work for the corporation. What many others are focused on is job security, retirement, wages, outsourcing, respect, health/disability insurance, and consistent treatment.
Wait! I will concede that we do want to force some inflexibility on the corporation. They no longer will be able to systematically and autonomously remove workforce compensation/benefits.
I wonder how FedEx feels about this?

We do not want to change the way we operate, therefore we will not use anyone else's contract. The corporation will not lose the flexibility it enjoys today. Drivers will still perform all of the duties they perform today. Fueling, dock work, minor maintenance, filling in for supervisors, etc, etc, nothing changes.

Of course the company is going to lose some flexibility. Do you want them to be able to use as much rail and as much purchased transportation/owner-operators as they want?

How many Teamster LTL's currently have drivers filling in for supervisors and doing their own minor maintenance?

Of course the company is going to lose some flexibility. Do you want them to be able to use as much rail and as much purchased transportation/owner-operators as they want?

How many Teamster LTL's currently have drivers filling in for supervisors and doing their own minor maintenance?

I will agree, No, there won't be any minor repairs, filling in for supervisors and such.. That would be Breech of Contract, reacting with a file of grievance.... But no driver should have to do that, I think that's the point he was making, facetiously... He wasn't hired to do those things, they have Managers and Mechanics or vendors to fill-in and do repairs... But he'll be paid to sit there while it's done... Most companies advise against drivers doing it, union or not....

Nope, not being facetious.

There is no reason why we can't change a lightbulb or a glad hand. We are there to move freight. If activities or job duties like those are restricted, it won't be because of my input or the input of those pro union folks in my locale - at this time.

I understand there are arguments against this, but the line will be drawn somewhere. And there is no way to know where those lines will be drawn, until they are drawn.

But first and foremost we need to be able to draw the line.

Unfortunately BK, the reality has been that in a union environment you doing anything outside of your job description is "stealing somebody's work". It's just one aspect of the inflexible/inefficeint nature of union shops. You, apparently have a can-do/get it done attitude. One where you don't need somebody else to screw-on a glad hand while you sit around.

The types and number of petty grievances filed just goes to further the divide between management and rank-and-file. It often leads to a really crappy work environment with so many rules and "lines" drawn everywhere. Exactly the things most wanting union representation were trying to get away from.

Jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, if you will.

Good luck to you, whichever route you decide to pursue.

Nope, not being facetious.

There is no reason why we can't change a lightbulb or a glad hand. We are there to move freight. If activities or job duties like those are restricted, it won't be because of my input or the input of those pro union folks in my locale - at this time.

I understand there are arguments against this, but the line will be drawn somewhere. And there is no way to know where those lines will be drawn, until they are drawn.

But first and foremost we need to be able to draw the line.

Depending solely on your words of contract will you be allowed to change a light bulb or replace a glad hand.. If it states it, it will be under job duty status.. I assumed it was facetious by the way it was put, but I stand correct if I over-stepped my bounds... Just saying, it will not be your job to do it, they have someone on standby paying them to do it... When I was at Red Ball, a driver came on the dock once and moved a box of freight(a light one) to a customers pickup, a dockworker filed a grievance for "inadequate workload"(taking work from him) and the driver was reprimanded.. It's nothing personal, strictly business... It's something you guys will get to know as you settle in...

Unfortunately BK, the reality has been that in a union environment you doing anything outside of your job description is "stealing somebody's work". It's just one aspect of the inflexible/inefficeint nature of union shops. You, apparently have a can-do/get it done attitude. One where you don't need somebody else to screw-on a glad hand while you sit around. The types and number of petty grievances filed just goes to further the divide between management and rank-and-file. It often leads to a really crappy work environment with so many rules and "lines" drawn everywhere. Exactly the things most wanting union representation were trying to get away from. Jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, if you will. Good luck to you, whichever route you decide to pursue.

Whatever is accepted and repeated becomes normal. I was new at a teamster company on a large break bulk dock when I asked for a lightbulb for the swinging dock light. I was told to wait at my dock door for the maintenance man which took 45 minutes to show up with a lightbulb. A couple more times and that quickly became perfectly normal.
It doesn't have to be done that way. We can easily have a different "normal".
Furthermore;
I don't think we employ any more maintenance people at all, and few locations have shops. In regards to mechanics, they won't be organized until after drivers are. Their contract will have to be compatible with ours.
I'm curious, What approach is FedEx taking towards this?

Depending solely on your words of contract will you be allowed to change a light bulb or replace a glad hand.. If it states it, it will be under job duty status.. I assumed it was facetious by the way it was put, but I stand correct if I over-stepped my bounds... Just saying, it will not be your job to do it, they have someone on standby paying them to do it... When I was at Red Ball, a driver came on the dock once and moved a box of freight(a light one) to a customers pickup, a dockworker filed a grievance for "inadequate workload"(taking work from him) and the driver was reprimanded.. It's nothing personal, strictly business... It's something you guys will get to know as you settle in...

Yes, it would all have to be spelled out in legalese.

I have not talked to anybody (yet) that wants a restrictive work environment. In fact, a large number have made it clear that is of concern.

It can happen.

Whatever is accepted and repeated becomes normal. I was new at a teamster company on a large break bulk dock when I asked for a lightbulb for the swinging dock light. I was told to wait at my dock door for the maintenance man which took 45 minutes to show up with a lightbulb. A couple more times and that quickly became perfectly normal.

Yes, the epitome of efficiency. Yes, you could have a different normal, it would just mean that the folks at your terminal wouldn't file grievances over such petty things despite them being violations of the contract or would require contract language unique to your facility.

Bankrupt said:
I don't think we employ any more maintenance people at all, and few locations have shops. In regards to mechanics, they won't be organized until after drivers are. Their contract will have to be compatible with ours.

Time will tell. Perhaps a long time.

Yes, it would all have to be spelled out in legalese.

I have not talked to anybody (yet) that wants a restrictive work environment. In fact, a large number have made it clear that is of concern.

It can happen.

It will happen BR, if dock, hostlers and mechanics come under the umbrella.. I know it's just drivers right now, but let it catch on and all will go under contract...

Furthermore;

Right now, FedEx has to deal with the drivers.. Later they will have to deal with other departments.. It's kinda like having a transplant, your body is use to that one part being in it up to that point, when a new one comes in, it has a problem accepting it.. But with time and medication it gets use to it... FedEx will learn to deal..

Loon I think I know what your saying about crossing the line . Now that they got you changing a light bulb and changing a glad hand whats to stop them from saying while your waiting for your load How about you changing the oil and don't to forget grease it as well . Keep it simple you do your job that you hired on for and I 'll do mine . What happens if ya screw something up while doing this first echelon maintenance . Are you getting written up because that's not your expertise's? Does that mean a shop worker can jump in a tractor and make a delivery down the street ? I think their opening a lot of doors that shouldn't be open . Probably there are a few here on T/B that don't remember when the 53's came out and Loon you should remember that they were not to be used for p&d but only terminal to terminal , now look there being used for flyer work especially at Holland .

Last edited by a moderator:
I address this subject once b/4 It wasn't the union restrictions that put the union carriers out of business after deregulation . What happen was the carriers used their rights / operating authority as collateral so they could up date terminals and add new ones ,they bought new fleets road and city power. These permits where worth millions . When Carter signed the deregulation act for trucking it also wiped out the collateral and the banks panicked and called in the loans . The companies couldn't come up with the money so they filed for bankruptcy . The companies like C F , Roadway and Yellow that had a lot of cash survived . I don't think Roadway ever borrowed money . Yellow and Roadway both would be doing just fine if not for Bill Zollars .I don't know where you read this but I lived under regulation for many a year and deregulation as well . And as an employee regulation was better . The companies,customers and employees did fine .:1036316054: