FedEx Freight | Fedex refuses to bargain CLT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Carville

TB Lurker
Credits
CLT drivers are apparently getting letters today from Fedex. The letter is from Fedex to Steve Bess, President of Local 71. The letter informs the union that it will not bargain while it litigates the Boards "erroneous determination with respect to the bargaining unit."

It's already been many months since the election, and no sign of bargaining. Could be years?

CLT drivers are apparently getting letters today from Fedex. The letter is from Fedex to Steve Bess, President of Local 71. The letter informs the union that it will not bargain while it litigates the Boards "erroneous determination with respect to the bargaining unit."

It's already been many months since the election, and no sign of bargaining. Could be years?
Jim, you shouldn't be so excited by this.

Yes, your company is using a stall tactic, that is only designed for that one purpose. It will work effectively, since there are only 3. It won't work as cost effectively when there are 50 or more.

Yes, your company is using a stall tactic, that is only designed for that one purpose. It will work effectively, since there are only 3. It won't work as cost effectively when there are 50 or more.
These things don't excite me. If you want to see what excites me, i'll private message you some good sites. And it's not my company that employing any tactic. Just putting out there what I hear. How many years until they get to 50 (15% of terminals does it?) Overnight had what, 27 terminals? If i'm a CKB voter, isn't it a better strategy to jump in the water when they get more fire power? CLT has a couple hundred drivers and there's no sign of a meeting between the two parties anytime soon, months after the vote. Fedex shows no signs of backing down. How many drivers in CKB? 20?

These things don't excite me. If you want to see what excites me, i'll private message you some good sites. And it's not my company that employing any tactic. Just putting out there what I hear. How many years until they get to 50 (15% of terminals does it?) Overnight had what, 27 terminals? If i'm a CKB voter, isn't it a better strategy to jump in the water when they get more fire power? CLT has a couple hundred drivers and there's no sign of a meeting between the two parties anytime soon, months after the vote. Fedex shows no signs of backing down. How many drivers in CKB? 20?
A lot depends on one's prediction of how many locations will vote yes in the coming year or so. If you think a lot will, then there is an advantage to being "in" the conversation early. If you think few will join, then there is little advantage or bargaining power.

If you think fedex will step up and correct the issues, so be it. That will be your solution. If you think not, you know the only solution for that as well.

Agree? No right or wrong answer... yet.

A lot depends on one's prediction of how many locations will vote yes in the coming year or so. If you think a lot will, then there is an advantage to being "in" the conversation early. If you think few will join, then there is little advantage or bargaining power.

If you think fedex will step up and correct the issues, so be it. That will be your solution. If you think not, you know the only solution for that as well.

Agree? No right or wrong answer... yet.
I think that the best of both worlds is to see what Fxf does to make things better for now. If the answer is they do nothing, I can always catch up to this bus. If in a year things are the same, and 50 other terminals have gone, well then i'm joining the party.

From the "your company" reference I take it that you don't have any skin in our game either Swampy. 50 terminals as a percentage of our total is still less than the aforementioned Overnite terminal totals. The Overnite debacle dragged on for years with no contract. Also at the current rate of yes votes fifty probably won't happen in our lifetime IMHO. Another factor would be a possible strike. With CLT being in a RTW state and so far the only big fish a strike would seem very unlikely, so where is the cost you speak of?

From the "your company" reference I take it that you don't have any skin in our game either Swampy. 50 terminals as a percentage of our total is still less than the aforementioned Overnite terminal totals. The Overnite debacle dragged on for years with no contract. Also at the current rate of yes votes fifty probably won't happen in our lifetime IMHO. Another factor would be a possible strike. With CLT being in a RTW state and so far the only big fish a strike would seem very unlikely, so where is the cost you speak of?
Oh young Hammer, I've got plenty skin in the game. I was being facetious, as many on the anti side like to refer to fedex as "my company" this or "my company" that. I find it humorous, nothing more.

I get your fear of the overmite debacle. Really I understand. You should understand, as well, this is a much different market than it was then.

As far as that strike as a tactic. That is fear 101. There are other methods availabe, excluding your's & the Company's biggest fear. Do a little more research.

Hopefully all will be well, we can just do our jobs safely, and professionally, while being compensated fairly, whichever way it is decided.

You may not recall, so I'll tell you again. I'm actually pro Company and want FedEx to do well and be the best. I'm also pro Driver and want us to be where we need to be professionally and financially. Pretty simple, and I think, fair.

I'm just curious Jim how 2 months is viewed as "many months" in your eyes... CLT has already been certified and the appeal will be like all the others and Fedex will lose yet again no news there. Now you have to speak about CKB in your attempts to influence yet another election with falsehoods... One really has to wonder what your motives are...

I'm just curious Jim how 2 months is viewed as "many months" in your eyes... CLT has already been certified and the appeal will be like all the others and Fedex will lose yet again no news there. Now you have to speak about CKB in your attempts to influence yet another election with falsehoods... One really has to wonder what your motives are...
Has it only been two months? Forgive me, I thought it was longer. Thanks for pointing that out. Still a long way to go considering that Fedex can keep the ball in the air this way for quite some time.
I'm not sure why you think i'm influencing the vote in CKB. Because I offered up a scenario that might be considered a good alternative? Hardly influential, but aren't most of the people speaking out here trying to exert some sort of influence? Aren't you? Is that somehow unfair?

I'm actually pro Company and want FedEx to do well and be the best. I'm also pro Driver and want us to be where we need to be professionally and financially. Pretty simple, and I think, fair.

Would be pretty simple if the FedEx BOD didn't have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders above all else.

Would be pretty simple if the FedEx BOD didn't have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders above all else.

IMHO, my suggested methods would benefit their (our) shareholders, long term, rather than the current method, that seems relatively short term. I think we should want to be a "buy and hold" stock, with stability. You already know how I'd provide stability. I think that method would deliver a better quality product to the actual customer, as well. Win Win Win.

I think we agree?

I am not so certain that your suggested methods would benefit the shareholders in the short term or long term.

The difficult issue is how do you satisfy shareholders while pacifying employees? Or is it: How do you satisfy employees while pacifying shareholders?

Stop the presses!!!! Fedex is not going to negotiate in good faith. Somebody call the NYTIMES OMG!!!

Anything else captain obvious?

Oh young Hammer, I've got plenty skin in the game. I was being facetious, as many on the anti side like to refer to fedex as "my company" this or "my company" that. I find it humorous, nothing more.

I get your fear of the overmite debacle. Really I understand. You should understand, as well, this is a much different market than it was then.

As far as that strike as a tactic. That is fear 101. There are other methods availabe, excluding your's & the Company's biggest fear. Do a little more research.

Hopefully all will be well, we can just do our jobs safely, and professionally, while being compensated fairly, whichever way it is decided.

You may not recall, so I'll tell you again. I'm actually pro Company and want FedEx to do well and be the best. I'm also pro Driver and want us to be where we need to be professionally and financially. Pretty simple, and I think, fair.
Ingenious trying to discredit with the "young" adjective, but alas I qualify for the AARP card. Not so young anymore.

Spoken like a professional organizer!

Status
Not open for further replies.