FedEx Freight | Fedex refuses to bargain CLT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Settle down Hammer! You've not been paying attention. This has been an ongoing discussion (over different threads) as to what increases would cost the company. And what they might mean in terms of assorted gains.

My suggestion of 10%, made no mention of the Teamsters. FedEx could make this go away with such a tactic. You might be the one getting overly zealous in your anti union rhetoric.
The need to keep the "Cancer" out of our great company calls for all of the zeal that can be brought forth.

I am not so certain that your suggested methods would benefit the shareholders in the short term or long term.

The difficult issue is how do you satisfy shareholders while pacifying employees? Or is it: How do you satisfy employees while pacifying shareholders?
Back in my day the industry was regulated . It was good for all, the company the shareholders and the employees . The companies made money in return the shareholders made money and the employees made money and the shippers got a reasonable rate . All this and the for most part were all union . Some will say these are different times . Maybe they should go back to those times when things worked .

I wasn't the guy expecting 4.6k/mo after 20 years. I'd work on negotiating for about 1/2 that, maybe after more time... (Thank you for the numbers, though. Really, that is interesting!)

Or better yet, I still think my Idea of a 10% increase in total compensation, all added to wages would be best. $3-$3.50/hr. increase, and I'll worry about my own retirement.

I know, I was referring to the fact that you didn't want somebody like me negotiating on your behalf.

As an employee, the risk in negotiating for all compensation to be added in the form of wages is that healthcare costs are rising faster than just about any other service or goods you are going to pay for out of the paycheck. When your paycheck doesn't keep up with the escalation of those costs it's a bigger hit than "no raise and company provided healthcare". Of course it is "easier" for a company to reduce your healthcare package than wages.

Back in my day the industry was regulated . It was good for all, the company the shareholders and the employees . The companies made money in return the shareholders made money and the employees made money and the shippers got a reasonable rate . All this and the for most part were all union . Some will say these are different times . Maybe they should go back to those times when things worked .

I didn't jump on this merry go 'round until 1987, so I didn't work prior to deregulation. However, it is important to note that it wasn't good for "ALL", it was only good for those already in. Competition is good. Competition is healthy.

Please Gentlemen! I'd prefer to have neither of you negotiating on my/our behalf. :scratchhead: No really :nono h4h:

Both ends of the extreme...

Who is to say that somebody or somebodies that is in any negotiation wouldnt make decisions lodged on one end of the extreme to get something that they wanted badly.

Negotiations are a funny thing.......sometimes they can lose all sense of reality.......

Look at this latest MLB contract............Nationals going to be paying a guy 15 mil a year for 7 years AFTER he stops playing for the team...........think someone was a little irrational in getting what they wanted on one side?

Our great company? Just exactly how many shares do you hold to make you think this is YOUR company? Mess up tomorrow, they would roll you like fresh bread dough....Clean out your headgear driver.
They would only "roll him" if he already had three priors in a rolling 12 month period and was on probation "if" he "messed up tomorrow."
We have policies in place to prevent this "rolling him like fresh bread dough" from happening!

I didn't jump on this merry go 'round until 1987, so I didn't work prior to deregulation. However, it is important to note that it wasn't good for "ALL", it was only good for those already in. Competition is good. Competition is healthy.
We all needed to compete against one an other back then as well . Service was king . There were companies back in the day that went under or sold out to other company's mostly to CF, Yellow , McLean and Roadway when they could not compete anymore for a variety of reasons .

We all needed to compete against one an other back then as well . Service was king . There were companies back in the day that went under or sold out to other company's mostly to CF, Yellow , McLean and Roadway when they could not compete anymore for a variety of reasons .

True, but correct me if I'm wrong you couldn't set your own rates correct? So if I understand it right the competition would have been based on management and customer service and things of that nature. His point is no one new could get it or at least it was a cumbersome process to get in as a new company off the ground. I know several small companies who tried to get started before deregulation who have told me about what you had to do, it was almost impossible.

I'm still curious why so many folks seemed to expect FedEx would simply cave in and give the union whatever it wanted, regardless of how ridiculous the demands. I have a co worker in my barn that thinks the company should provide a pension of $4,000 per month after 20 years service. Seriously???? He's nuts. Not going to happen on this planet.
But this is one area where FedEx could make a change for the positive and has yet to address.

Just out of curiosity and be truthful how old are you redracer and purplehammer and your length of time with the company. I will start this by saying I'm 52 and have 21 years here. My pension is a whopping 98.00 a month. Don't think it will be a whole lot more when I retire. I'm just curious if most of the no is the younger person that's all. And to beat all I'm not even fully vested with the formula they have. 52 plus 21= 73. What is the magic no. 76

Last edited:
Improving the pension is a very expensive proposition. I'd rather see higher match in the 401.

I'm with you here. Improving the pension is extremely expensive and that money would have to come from somewhere. Better to have a $1 for $1 matching all the way up to the maximum permitted by law (currently $53,000/year). Where else are you going to get 100% ROI immediately? It also requires the employee to take personal responsibility for their retirement.

Pick your poison SwampRatt:)

Say you start at age 21, you retire at 41 (2o years in) and live until 77.4. You collect a total of $1,747,200 after working for 20 years. That takes about $4600/month in contributions (for 20 years) at an annual 6% ROI for that fund to be solvent.
That is exactly why pensions that allowed you to draw before retirement age got in so much trouble. So no more pensions , no more vacations, no more healthcare for anyone because you are all cutting into our profits too deeply and enough is enough. Now lets head over to the Waldorf for some of them great manhatans before they roll out the steak and lobster, I have the corporate card ... got to love perks

And that is what the union could ask for if that is how the majority felt. Why does anyone think that they would be put into the teamsters pension plan if that is not what they wanted ?
Because these funds are bleeding dry, and if they don't get some new blood coming in, those members who are retiring now won't get what was promised for their many years of hard service. The Teamsters will bargain hard to get your contributions into their fund, but it will be needed to pay off todays retirees. I won't say it's not going to be there for you when it's your turn, but there certainly is a possibility.

Because these funds are bleeding dry, and if they don't get some new blood coming in, those members who are retiring now won't get what was promised for their many years of hard service. The Teamsters will bargain hard to get your contributions into their fund, but it will be needed to pay off todays retirees. I won't say it's not going to be there for you when it's your turn, but there certainly is a possibility.
Jim, you can be forgiven for being fairly new to this discussion, but this has been covered extensively. Bottom line: no union dues go toward propping up any pension funds. Also, fedex drivers would never be party to any multi-employer pension.

True stuff.

Jim, you can be forgiven for being fairly new to this discussion, but this has been covered extensively. Bottom line: no union dues go toward propping up any pension funds. Also, fedex drivers would never be party to any multi-employer pension.

True stuff.
This is true. Dues are only used to pay union officers and run the union. The contributions i'm talking about are pension contributions that the teamsters would supposedly negotiate from Fedex on behalf of their employees in a CBA. Those funds would go into a teamster fund (if so negotiated) and may or may not be there when you retire. How can you say that Fedex drivers would not be party to a MEP? If they negotiate it and Fedex agrees, then...yeah, you're right about that.

This is true. Dues are only used to pay union officers and run the union. The contributions i'm talking about are pension contributions that the teamsters would supposedly negotiate from Fedex on behalf of their employees in a CBA. Those funds would go into a teamster fund (if so negotiated) and may or may not be there when you retire. How can you say that Fedex drivers would not be party to a MEP? If they negotiate it and Fedex agrees, then...yeah, you're right about that.
So now you do see. Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.