ODFL | Leave the phone alone

Not taking sides here, but it’s amazing the posts, complaints, bitching, “I’ll quit”, and so forth about a federal law applying to truck drivers using a phone while driving. It’s like no one can function at their job anymore without playing on their phone every10 minutes. Some worry more about having their headset just perfect, than doing a pretrip.
I'm amazed at how I see more drivers using their phone, going down the road more now than when that initial rule went into effect(back in 2011). It's really sad. It's even worse on I95. And yeah, those that want to quit....go right ahead, PLEASE! This just means my number moves up!

Sounds good but may not work out. Good chance government and ins. Co. Will mandate.
OK. But, find me the owner operator who will install a driver facing camera & report his mistakes, or not, behind the wheel. A forward facing camera? You bet I would use one. He said she said no longer is in effect. Now only the camera says. My last 4 years with ABF I installed every day in my city tractor a DOD 430 dash camera pointing forward. People asked me why. I said to protect myself against false claims. If I was wrong & the camera caught it. So be it. von.

That's because most of the younger generation do not want to work!!! TRUE STORY!
Think driving a truck is hard now? How about 30 years ago hand unloading 44,000 off a trailer of 100lb bags of product. Or 2100 boxes of Linders frozen bagels off the floor. Or 24 skids delivered to Sysco which breaks down in to 63 skids. And the best one of all time? Is a plant in St. Paul, MN that process cow hides that were thrown in to the trailer from the butcher house. I was working for Manpower in St. Paul & they sent me out on this job, with no heads up. When I got it backed in to the dock the foreman gave me an apron & said have at it. I started laughing so hard they got really mad at me because I refused to touch the first cow hide, much less unload a trailer full of them. Manpower said to unload it or they would never send me out again. I asked if they wanted any of the equipment back where I got it or just leave. I left & found another labor outfit to work for. I have smelled a lot of things, but never anything as bad as raw cow hides from the stock yard. Came to find out I wasn't the first driver to walk away from that job. Now days, a lot of warehouses won't let a driver on the dock. Maybe because of insurance. But I think the real reason is the Hours of Service. Since we have a computer that automatically enters your status, you can't cheat like a paper one. And a tired driver or one with few hours can't roll down the road & make much money. A trucking makes it's bread & butter from a moving truck, not one parked at the shipper or receiver for a day. von.

Think driving a truck is hard now? How about 30 years ago hand unloading 44,000 off a trailer of 100lb bags of product. Or 2100 boxes of Linders frozen bagels off the floor. Or 24 skids delivered to Sysco which breaks down in to 63 skids. And the best one of all time? Is a plant in St. Paul, MN that process cow hides that were thrown in to the trailer from the butcher house. I was working for Manpower in St. Paul & they sent me out on this job, with no heads up. When I got it backed in to the dock the foreman gave me an apron & said have at it. I started laughing so hard they got really mad at me because I refused to touch the first cow hide, much less unload a trailer full of them. Manpower said to unload it or they would never send me out again. I asked if they wanted any of the equipment back where I got it or just leave. I left & found another labor outfit to work for. I have smelled a lot of things, but never anything as bad as raw cow hides from the stock yard. Came to find out I wasn't the first driver to walk away from that job. Now days, a lot of warehouses won't let a driver on the dock. Maybe because of insurance. But I think the real reason is the Hours of Service. Since we have a computer that automatically enters your status, you can't cheat like a paper one. And a tired driver or one with few hours can't roll down the road & make much money. A trucking makes it's bread & butter from a moving truck, not one parked at the shipper or receiver for a day. von.
I know the smell. I used to deliver to an outfit that turned raw cow hides into leather. Their plant was right behind a slaughterhouse outside of Fresno, their warehouse literally had bloated, rotting, cow carcasses on the floor. The central California summer heat where it gets to 110+ didn’t help one bit.