Yellow | Meets and Turns

Non union companies are more efficient than Teamster companies. Totally different cost structures. Employee accountability and no ridiculously costly work rules like paying a road driver to sit on his butt while paying another employee to drop and hook.
If you think the roses smell better on the other side you can always put in an application at any of the nons.

If you think the roses smell better on the other side you can always put in an application at any of the nons.
Not necessary. I prepared for retirement. Paid off my debt, saved and invested. Open your eyes. The largest LTL carrier is FedEx Freight. It did not exist 20 years ago. Union carriers cannot compete with them. Trucking companies create and manufacture nothing. Labor is their only controllable cost. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the non union companies do it better.

If your job was being the"yardman" would you still feel that way? I doubt it. How would you like it if after youdid all of your stringing and hooking if the dispatcher told you before you leave I need you to make these 10 moves in the yard. I wouldn't ask you but I don't have a yardman and I need these done right away and the next "roadman" won"t be here until 3 hours from now. I bet you would have a different opinion of yardmen then. There are many ways this company could save money and work more efficient than eliminated jobs that are not yours.
I think what he really meant was the fact that they pay someone delay time while they pay the yard man hourly to hook. At non unions they have yard man but he is making moves while they pay drop and hook to the Linehaul driver. Eliminating that cost of delay because your trailers are ready but you can’t hook it because they need to pay the yard man is a solution. I know it sucks for the yard man but at least the driver is still getting paid for the drop and hook and they will still have yard man to move empties, etc. you eliminate that cost of delay if there really isn’t a delay.. just saying

Triplex, I understand what you are saying but the company you work for and I retired from wastes more money every hour, day, week month and years on all kinds of stupid sh-t and then rewards the head honchos with stock bonuses. I guess I got the old teamsters ways in me but seeing the way this company operates ever since the merger leads me to believe if they elimanated 95% of the teamster jobs they would still lose money. How many change of operations have they had? How many times are they going to rebrand the company? How many terminals have they closed? When are they going to pay into the pension funds that they owe? Never! When are they going to pay back the government loan they just received? Never! When are they ever going to make a profit? Never! But keep elimanating teamster jobs that will put them in the black. Never. It hurts me to say this because I still have friends working there but the "New Yellow" has no chance of survival.
If yard guys did more than, maybe, 1 hook per hour, the dock averaged more than 2.5 bills per hour, road guys assisted the yard to get themselves out of there, no one would lose a job, freight could move a little faster, and people could take some pride in what they do.

Not necessary. I prepared for retirement. Paid off my debt, saved and invested. Open your eyes. The largest LTL carrier is FedEx Freight. It did not exist 20 years ago. Union carriers cannot compete with them. Trucking companies create and manufacture nothing. Labor is their only controllable cost. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the non union companies do it better.
My eyes are wide open Razorblade. I agree with you the nons do have a cost advantage over union companies. Always did and always will. The only thing the nons do better to control costs are offering health plans that cost their employees more than union companies and by not offering pensions. Ok I know you are going to give me the old hows them teamster pensions doing thing and I get it but there is a lot more to it why multiemployee pension plans are in trouble. Too long to argue about now. Big cost advantages to nons just on those 2 items. I know all about the trucking industry, I put in 39 years before I retired, so I could argue with you forever on a lot of subjects. I am only saying that nothing YRC or is it Yellow can do to turn around the mess that they put this company in and that"s a fact I don"t think anybody who has been in trucking can argue with. They can try to control all of the labor costs they want, it won"t work, they killed this company many years ago.

If yard guys did more than, maybe, 1 hook per hour, the dock averaged more than 2.5 bills per hour, road guys assisted the yard to get themselves out of there, no one would lose a job, freight could move a little faster, and people could take some pride in what they do.
Big R Guy, we as teamsters could do everything you said and more and still this company won"t make it. I hate to say it but the death clock is ticking.

You know Big R Guy, I never worked in a terminal like that. The men I worked with did their jobs and had pride in doing them. Maybe we were one of the few. I know I did.

You know Big R Guy, I never worked in a terminal like that. The men I worked with did their jobs and had pride in doing them. Maybe we were one of the few. I know I did.

Roady, we worked in the past at small barns where guys all knew each other and all pretty much worked together and that even included management. At larger terminals that's not always the case. A long time ago when Hackensack closed and we moved into Moonachie you could instantly see the difference. That's why I transferred to Spring Valley as soon as I could.

Roady, we worked in the past at small barns where guys all knew each other and all pretty much worked together and that even included management. At larger terminals that's not always the case. A long time ago when Hackensack closed and we moved into Moonachie you could instantly see the difference. That's why I transferred to Spring Valley as soon as I could.
That's because you had 4 different companies and cultures in one barn. Just like this YRC tragedy. I worked in large barns at Johnson Motor Lines, Ryder Truck Lines and Roadway Express and the guys worked together. When corporations put 4 different cultures into 1 terminal then people become leary about each others moves and the company loves to see that. Distrust between employees is music to the bosses ears. Sorry buddy I'm still old school.

May have to put a EMT shift on to revive the drivers that waddle out in the yard to hook and have a coronary before they reach the first rest bench.
The ones that do make it will need a 911 line to shop for air line repairs.
Clowns....

That's because you had 4 different companies and cultures in one barn. Just like this YRC tragedy. I worked in large barns at Johnson Motor Lines, Ryder Truck Lines and Roadway Express and the guys worked together. When corporations put 4 different cultures into 1 terminal then people become leary about each others moves and the company loves to see that. Distrust between employees is music to the bosses ears. Sorry buddy I'm still old school.

Ryder/PIE at Spring Valley?? No real issues - except maybe for the brawls in the parking lot or the driver's cars mysteriously burning up during the day! :hysterical: :hilarious::452: (Just kidding)

The truth will be in the result. Write me again in 6-9 months. Doors will close in less than a year.
Get ahead of the rush and get on with a profitable and secure company.
UPS Parcel is not a freight company. Look at their cost structure. UPS hubs are manned by part timers with few benefits. They work a full shift of 4 hour part timers followed by another full shift of 4 hour part timers. UPS doesn't pay unskilled inside labor the same rate as skilled professional drivers. Did you know that the UPS routing of their package delivery "cars" is such that most of their drivers never have to make a left turn? Imagine how much money is saved eliminating the wait to make a left turn when there are 105,000 delivery trucks on the road every day. Saving 5 minutes per day, per truck saves nearly 9,000 hours each day. UPS also doesn't have the massive competition or rate pressure of union freight carriers.
LMAO! Yeah, we've been hearing how we are going out of business for over a decade. Still waiting.

Yet, here you are participating in a union forum. lol Oh the irony.

I guess FeDEx Freight should be closing anytime now, they have a lot of meet and turn runs. OD as well.
If the doors close in “6-9 months”, it won’t be from linehaul operations.
Especially from the drivers. They are the only ones left who seem to care about this company.

WHAT????did you hear YRCW is going to all meets and turns??? or something like that?...................................I did!
They have to start offering 'meets & greets' because that's what the younger, new drivers want. That's why we are having such a driver retention problem. However, I don't see why we can't do it like OD, and offer both? I prefer 'Longlays', however, I understand a young guy with a hot wife and newborns wants to be home every night.