Yellow | Meets and Turns

Well yeah. I think 18 years as steward in 3 different locals, recording secretary at 261, JC 40 delegate, organizer and contract negotiator gives me more knowledge than most.
Paying drivers to sit is the problem? Calling drivers in when the sets aren't ready, isn't? Stop paying drivers for their time so management can become even lazier? Having you set in an office and worry more about your cush job rather than the drivers you say you represent is a HUGE problem I believe.

Paying drivers to sit is the problem? Calling drivers in when the sets aren't ready, isn't? Stop paying drivers for their time so management can become even lazier? Having you set in an office and worry more about your cush job rather than the drivers you say you represent is a HUGE problem I believe.
Not at all what I said. I'm talking about intermediate terminals.

Ryder/PIE at Spring Valley?? No real issues - except maybe for the brawls in the parking lot or the driver's cars mysteriously burning up during the day! :hysterical: :hilarious::452: (Just kidding)
Triplex, I said Ryder Truck Lines in South Kearney. Now Ryder/PIE in Spring Valley was interesting to say the least.:438:

Well yeah. I think 18 years as steward in 3 different locals, recording secretary at 261, JC 40 delegate, organizer and contract negotiator gives me more knowledge than most.
So you were one of the guys who negotiated all of these bad practices that you are now complaining about?

So you were one of the guys who negotiated all of these bad practices that you are now complaining about?
Well, it was 20+ years ago, but I was on the Western Pa Freight Committee twice. I was part of the team that negotiated a 9% wage reduction for Preston Trucking Company. We did what was necessary to delay the inevitable. I had to watch as JC 40 lost McClean, Halls, Interstate, Cooper Jarrett, Helms, Ryder, Branch, Mushroom, Penn Yan and I'm sure there were others I don't remember.
I was also on the pension fund board. We had to continually raise benefits because the IRS regulations required us to be underfunded. If we had more assets than liabilities, we lost our non profit status. The same ERISA rules said that earned pension benefits could not be reduced. All 9 trustees and our investment team knew it was a mistake. We knew that in the future those $40,000+ pensions were unsustainable. Here we are. My pension was cut 30% in 2019.

Well, it was 20+ years ago, but I was on the Western Pa Freight Committee twice. I was part of the team that negotiated a 9% wage reduction for Preston Trucking Company. We did what was necessary to delay the inevitable. I had to watch as JC 40 lost McClean, Halls, Interstate, Cooper Jarrett, Helms, Ryder, Branch, Mushroom, Penn Yan and I'm sure there were others I don't remember.
I was also on the pension fund board. We had to continually raise benefits because the IRS regulations required us to be underfunded. If we had more assets than liabilities, we lost our non profit status. The same ERISA rules said that earned pension benefits could not be reduced. All 9 trustees and our investment team knew it was a mistake. We knew that in the future those $40,000+ pensions were unsustainable. Here we are. My pension was cut 30% in 2019.
I feel for you, my pension will be cut 66% in May. I can"t complain I retired at 57 so at least I collected 11 years of checks. Unfortunately some guys in my local will only receive what the PBCG gives them for all their years of service. Horrible situation.

Meets and turn runs is the beginning of the end. Turns and meets will mean fewer miles per driver. That is more expensive than longer layover runs. The fixed costs of a driver never change. A 650 mile trip costs less in driver cost per mile than 2 drivers doing 325 each and meeting in the middle. The meets will also end up creating lower load averages. The meets have to run even if the trailers are less than full. Eliminating motels is not about cost saving. Eliminating motels means there is not enough money to pay for motels. Consolidating terminals means there is not enough money to pay the costs of utilities and leases. This is a cash flow problem. Next you will see yards that don't get snow plowed. In short, it's time to look for another job.
Holland has been doing a zillion of them for a very long time and creating a profit.
I am not sure how you calculate your hysteria? Were you the one on here a few years ago talking about something where the sky was falling?

I think what they are trying to do is a solid game plan for increasing productivity and profitability.

Can they pull it off is a whole different question.

It beats the he'll put of sitting tight with a plan that might have worked when dinosaurs (that's you retired guys) hung onto the steering wheel, but just don't cut it anymore!

I think what they are trying to do is a solid game plan for increasing productivity and profitability.

It beats the he'll put of sitting tight with a plan that might have worked when dinosaurs (that's you retired guys) hung onto the steering wheel, but just don't cut it anymore!
So are you saying older, or retired guys were just steering wheel holding, bastards?

So are you saying older, or retired guys were just steering wheel holding, bastards?

Wow man that makes me feel bad. I retired 4 years ago. Out of my 40 years with YFS/YRC I was a Combo or Utility for 37 years. Was strictly a City Driver the 3 years I was in STL.

Ryder/PIE at Spring Valley?? No real issues - except maybe for the brawls in the parking lot or the driver's cars mysteriously burning up during the day! :hysterical: :hilarious::452: (Just kidding)
Where's Spring Vally?
I thought all our firebugs were located in Phila.

Even at 46 mph, i could run circles around you doing city, dock, or linehaul.

Spring Valley is part of Rockland County in New York. It is located near the Tappan Zee Bridge. We were a wild bunch over there.

OMG, shame on you Roady, that's the Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge now and don't you forget it. The current governor, Mario's son, sneaked the re-naming into some late night legislation after his earlier attempt to re-name for his father was rejected. :hilarious: :hysterical:

086 Seabreeze, don't you have all old PIE terminal numbers memorized? :452: :hilarious:
Just the South end
They fired a steward who was a dock worker in Phila.
The following Mon, every piece of equipment on the yard had the tires cut.
A few days later someone burned the terminal down.

Last edited:
Just the South end
They fired a steward who was a dock worker in Phila.
The following Mon, every piece of equipment on the yard had the tires cut.
A few days later someone burned the terminal down.

I remember that. There was a tornado over Phila and the windows blew out from the wind and all the shards of glass blew all around the yard cutting so many tires and lightning generated by the the tornado struck the building setting it on fire. Right?? :bananapartyhat:

I remember that. There was a tornado over Phila and the windows blew out from the wind and all the shards of glass blew all around the yard cutting so many tires and lightning generated by the the tornado struck the building setting it on fire. Right?? :bananapartyhat:
Yeah, sure!

You know Big R Guy, I never worked in a terminal like that. The men I worked with did their jobs and had pride in doing them. Maybe we were one of the few. I know I did.
Haven’t you ever had the pleasure of visiting 309?