XPO | Miami Union

I’m not completely sure what the hang up with it is because I’m not directly involved. I know they feel if they except the companies offer it would negate the union power to some degree. They have gone b and forth over it a number of times . The company is waiting for an opportunity to initiate a decertification .

I do all that & still have work rules. You’re very uneducated when it comes to unions….
Oh I forgot. Earlier this week, I saw a post somewhere among the Yellow thread where a road driver was flipping the hell out about the possibility of doing truck driver things other than just driving and waiting three hours for his next hooked set. So when it comes Yellow road drivers, I think I'm hitting somewhere around the mark. Anyway, you have work rules? What do your work rules protect you from?

Oh I forgot. Earlier this week, I saw a post somewhere among the Yellow thread where a road driver was flipping the hell out about the possibility of doing truck driver things other than just driving and waiting three hours for his next hooked set. So when it comes Yellow road drivers, I think I'm hitting somewhere around the mark. Anyway, you have work rules? What do your work rules protect you from?
A manger with an axe to grind, from minor incidents where I know you can be terminated for. Another is accident’s not to mention the minor stuff starting with seniority issues, bereavement pay, payroll, saftey issues ect.

Last edited:
I don't want work rules. I think every driver should be required to do everything involving trucking including fueling, spotting trailers, hooking sets, handling freight, and anything I missed. Why do I believe this? Because that's how an LTL survives in today's business environment. The sticking point right now that Yellow is dealing with is driver intransigence and resistance to it's proposed COO, which would involve asking some drivers stepping out of their comfort zones and work on a dock. Aww the poor Yellow drivers, "We don't want to work a dock because, because all we do is drive." "It's not my job" is a poison pill phrase that's been eating away at Yellow for a long time. Job protection is fine as long as it's limited to disciplinary due process. Job protection should never be expanded to mean the company can't use sub-service to keep commitments to customers. So there you go, that's why someone, me, a driver doesn't want work rules and job protection. As for benefits and pension, of course. There is nothing wrong with an employee wanting to improve their station in life.
The only reason the LTL work environment is like this is because non union workers continue to accept more responsibility over the years Non union carriers management has been able to get their workforce to do more for the same money. Where does it stop . Will you be doing all the preventative maintenance soon ? 10 yrs down the road engine overhauls ?

Anyway, you have work rules? What do your work rules protect you from?
(1) Butt-Kissers that suck up to the boss to try and take away more desirable work from a senior employee.
(2) Disciplinary action taken without the representation of a steward or a co-worker you trust.
(3) A grievance process to hear your case and decide if the punishment (suspension/discharge) was warranted and if not, re-instatement. Usually with full back pay for all the time missed.
(4) Supervisors that don’t like your opinions or ideas and choose to make your job more difficult as retaliation.
(5) A bidding process honoring seniority and a steward or business agent to make sure your seniority is honored.
I can go on all day if there is anything in particular you need to know about!!!

(1) Butt-Kissers that suck up to the boss to try and take away more desirable work from a senior employee.
(2) Disciplinary action taken without the representation of a steward or a co-worker you trust.
(3) A grievance process to hear your case and decide if the punishment (suspension/discharge) was warranted and if not, re-instatement. Usually with full back pay for all the time missed.
(4) Supervisors that don’t like your opinions or ideas and choose to make your job more difficult as retaliation.
(5) A bidding process honoring seniority and a steward or business agent to make sure your seniority is honored.
I can go on all day if there is anything in particular you need to know about!!!
You have to understand that some drivers thrive in that non union environment for all the reasons you listed . This is why they adamantly defend their non union status.
They feel that their immune from problems with management because they are invaluable based on their performance.
I have seen these guys fall out of grace of management over the year and it usually doesn’t end well for them.

Last edited:
I have had my views about unions, mainly the Teamsters as posted many time on TB. I am very impressed by the Teamster new leadership mainly the new Pres O'Brian. In my eyes Hoffa was a joke. Hoffa pushed give back and give back to Yellow and screwed over the UPS drivers on there last contract. O'Brian is saying enough is enough. Its time the C suites give some give back, take cut to there pay and benefit packages.
Like I said not a 100% union supporter but I do believe this new leadership with in the Teamster is for the better.