XPO | Miami Union

I have had my views about unions, mainly the Teamsters as posted many time on TB. I am very impressed by the Teamster new leadership mainly the new Pres O'Brian. In my eyes Hoffa was a joke. Hoffa pushed give back and give back to Yellow and screwed over the UPS drivers on there last contract. O'Brian is saying enough is enough. Its time the C suites give some give back, take cut to there pay and benefit packages.
Like I said not a 100% union supporter but I do believe this new leadership with in the Teamster is for the better.
Even though I'm not a union type, I'm also impressed with the new Teamster leader and I empathize with the Yellow guys who have busted their asses for less pay and benefits over the last decade to keep the Titanic from sinking. Many of the Yellow drivers are angry with Yellow right now and I'm guessing there is a lot of tension between labor and mngmt, something I'm fortunate I'm not dealing with at XPO.
I've believed for a long time that the right of a company to run its business as it sees fit(within all applicable laws)supersedes whatever right, perceived or real an employee has to a "living wage" or guaranteed benefits. I do not believe my work philosophy is compatible with union ideology as it pertains to a the relationship between worker and employer and I expect that most union type will strongly disagree with me, but that's ok, I don't mind. What matters is that my work philosophy has gotten me through many different, non-union labor forces without the ill will that many Teamsters are feeling toward Yellow and other Teamster companies right now. Continue below in next post.

Honestly, I just don't know how they can keep the anger levels up for a long period of time. Perhaps part of why they're angry is because they believe Yellow owes them a certain livable wage with certain benefits and they further believe they have a right to tell the company in some part how the company should do it's business, for example, they don't want the entire company to go to 29% purchased transportation as they fear it will cost jobs, but to me, it's not their business. What if the company needs purchased transportation to keep its promises or to help it stay competitive? What I'm about to say next might make me come across to some an azzhole (and maybe I am, to a degree) but the way I see it, if I'm not the one losing my job, it's not my problem and I should mind my own business and let the company mind it's business.
Anyway, I kinda went down a rat hole, it's just that your post was a great segue for me to jump on this topic.

Ha Ha! Funny, but I think you know what I meant.
I definitely see what you meant . The only thing I ask is when the competition starts doing the wet Pm ‘s. will it become part of the drivers responsibility as you see it ? I know you feel this is over stating what your point is but where does it stop ? ( respectively)

I definitely see what you meant . The only thing I ask is when the competition starts doing the wet Pm ‘s. will it become part of the drivers responsibility as you see it ? I know you feel this is over stating what your point is but where does it stop ? ( respectively)

wet pm? I've not heard that phrase, please explain. I know whatever a wet pm is, it has to be better than a wet BM.

Where does it stop? That's a very good question and I don't know if I have a good answer, but I'll try. It stops when a mngr asks a driver to violate a law in order to keep the freight moving. For me personally, I don't like the added burden of using the dimension camera, but it's not something I'll quit over. That's the helluvit, until something happens to me that I believe is unfair, I can't really say where I draw the line. Perhaps this wet PM thing you're talking about, but I'm guessing I do that already when I add fluids to the engine. If that's a wet PM, then I'm not bothered by it as it's part of my job.

Where does it stop? That's a very good question and I don't know if I have a good answer, but I'll try. It stops when a mngr asks a driver to violate a law in order to keep the freight moving. For me personally, I don't like the added burden of using the dimension camera, but it's not something I'll quit over. That's the helluvit, until something happens to me that I believe is unfair, I can't really say where I draw the line. Perhaps this wet PM thing you're talking about, but I'm guessing I do that already when I add fluids to the engine. If that's a wet PM, then I'm not bothered by it as it's part of my job.
How long have you been employed by Xpo .

I've believed for a long time that the right of a company to run its business as it sees fit(within all applicable laws)supersedes whatever right, perceived or real an employee has to a "living wage" or guaranteed benefits.
To my knowledge a company does not have to provide any type of health insurance depending on your state. They also do not have to pay OT per fed law to anyone working in the trucking industry, that includes mechanics, and DW. Just look at what happened in the 14yrs you been here to the insurance. In some case lower coverage and is costing you more.

well tell you to do any maintenance work on you truck is not violating the law and if they want they can have a different pay scale when you do that work