Yellow | My Roadway Pumpkin Didn't Have Air-conditioning.

But the RD 450 was the big motor !!!!! 55 mph @ 2400 rpm if I remember.
Yep, but it was hard to get 55 with 28 or 30k, 5spd direct, no aux or 2spd.
We later got some city tractors with 501 Reds, 8 spr RR, we drove them on a short turn at times.

First I miss posted. I carried a one gallon container of ice water which I would drink and refill at least once a day.
I did combination work in high humidity Detroit Michigan for eight years. Then I did combination work for Roadway in low humidity Albuquerque for twenty-eight years. It was still hot to work in Albuquerque and must be really hard to work in areas of the country where the high temperature and humidity are close to the same number.
Roadway did mount those little fans on the dash of our city tractors.
I had a power inverter and 20 inch house fan worked great at 90 degrees or less , over 90 we could bring it in after about six hours the company cared a little i decomissioned that setup about ten years ago

But the RD 450 was the big motor !!!!! 55 mph @ 2400 rpm if I remember.
Mine is a 232 Green Diamond, in a 1940 D30. No heater, definitely no a/c. The windshield winds out tho...

roFevqQ.jpg

74QI6rj.jpg

And yes- the mirrors are tiny....

I think UPS should take a hard look at why they are profitable and what it takes to remain profitable.
Now I could be wrong but it seems to me I use to read this about the very profitable LTL carrier Viking. During the years of Teamster domination of LTL trucking Viking remained non-union. Again I could be wrong but seems to me Viking trucks were unique back then as they had a/c and radios. My point is, take care of your employees and your employees will take care of their employer. Or maybe now a days that's just an old fashion way of thinking.[/QUOT
My pumpkin didn’t have power steering.
Mine didn't either, that's why I lifted weights every lunch hour.:guiness: :guinesssmilie: :couch:

I think UPS should take a hard look at why they are profitable and what it takes to remain profitable.
Now I could be wrong but it seems to me I use to read this about the very profitable LTL carrier Viking. During the years of Teamster domination of LTL trucking Viking remained non-union. Again I could be wrong but seems to me Viking trucks were unique back then as they had a/c and radios. My point is, take care of your employees and your employees will take care of their employer. Or maybe now a days that's just an old fashion way of thinking.

Carolina put ACs in their single operation trucks before the contract required them.

Reactions: mud
Mine is a 232 Green Diamond, in a 1940 D30. No heater, definitely no a/c. The windshield winds out tho...

roFevqQ.jpg

74QI6rj.jpg

And yes- the mirrors are tiny....

I remember these old (arrow TS), so dim, you lit a match to see them.
Most of our trailers were 6V, when we got 12V A50 macks, there was a vari-volt box on the back of tractor, if
you forgot to turn down the voltage, you blew all the bulbs.
If you had a KB11 or L200 6v IHC hooked to a 12v trailer, lights were too dim to see.
New hi cube Miller trailers with a taillight on left side, stoplight on right, 13' hi 32' long, the good ole days!

What about the tandem tractors with a tag axle, and had the v belt running off off the drive axle to get traction on the tag?

When Ryder aquired Hoover, Tenn. required a screw or belts, within a month after the purchase they cut the belts off the Hoover tractors.
They claimed drivers wouldn't drive our pushers so they could get a belt tractor.

Now I could be wrong but it seems to me I use to read this about the very profitable LTL carrier Viking. During the years of Teamster domination of LTL trucking Viking remained non-union. Again I could be wrong but seems to me Viking trucks were unique back then as they had a/c and radios. My point is, take care of your employees and your employees will take care of their employer. Or maybe now a days that's just an old fashion way of thinking.
Wasn't Viking part of the doublebreasting like conways were to CF. I thought Viking was tied into Big R. Big R also ran non union RPS, Roadway Package Systems, and ROLS, Roadway Logistics Systems if I recall correctly .