Yellow | My Roadway Pumpkin Didn't Have Air-conditioning.

The food @ the diner next to Rubes entrance had great food. The problem was to getting to the diner & back to your rig without getting shot or the girls asking if you wanted a date.
Sorry, it was Mahwah. Dumpy place on the west side of 17, just before 287. I couldn’t even eat breakfast at the diner.
You are correct. The worst truck stop anywhere. von.

Sorry, it was Mahwah. Dumpy place on the west side of 17, just before 287. I couldn’t even eat breakfast at the diner.

OK, Mahwah makes sense. It was Pal's Diner, currently reincarnated in Michigan.

palsthen.jpg

pals-diner-1.gif

http://nanaglo2.tripod.com/1C63NEWS.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/15079109@N08/4261089334

https://dinerhotline.wordpress.com/2013/05/26/another-diner-road-trip-27-years-ago-this-weekend/

I know Paramus pretty well and I can't recall any truck stop on Rt 17 there. Anything else you can remember about it might help me figure out where/what the place was.
It was probably not far from Carretta’s Trucking shop and terminal ,There was a few choke and pukes around there.

I hear you on the flats. I don't go quite as far back as you, first tractors I drove were H model Macks (1966). I did come close to having my first TT trip back in 1961 driving a B42 Mack gas job pulling a construction trailer well into upstate NY on old Route 17. Looking back I'm glad that didn't happen.
My Dad owned a 1955 B42. Only a Duplex tho...

:flame::shift:Help my brakes are on fire.:hysterical: I have had many perilous journeys up and down route 17 from jersey to Jamestown.17 is Now a cake walk through New York.
Only time I was on 17 was in 79. Had a high 5th wheel and a van. Must've been 13'8" or so. Was following 3 Freight guys on a limited-access highway. Hadn't slept in days and missed the sign for trucks over 13' to exit. Watched the first two Freighters go under the underpass. As the third started under I saw the sign on his 12'6" trailer, and the sign on the 13' bridge. Locked up my brakes just in time! Backed up a mile or two to the exit! Or at least it seemed that far....

Once more testing my memory, I remember a small diner on northbound Rt 17 in Ramsey just before Spring Street about where a Wendy's is now located. This was back in the 1960's.

Also, Paramus once had three diners on Rt 17 back in the day. On the northbound side, Suburban Diner (still there), another one (Twin Oaks I think) just before Midland Ave, and on the southbound side, Paramus Diner which eventually became a Pizza Hut.

Only time I was on 17 was in 79. Had a high 5th wheel and a van. Must've been 13'8" or so. Was following 3 Freight guys on a limited-access highway. Hadn't slept in days and missed the sign for trucks over 13' to exit. Watched the first two Freighters go under the underpass. As the third started under I saw the sign on his 12'6" trailer, and the sign on the 13' bridge. Locked up my brakes just in time! Backed up a mile or two to the exit! Or at least it seemed that far....

Not sure where you were Jimmy, but there was an underpass on 17 that went under RR tracks at Harriman, NY that had a low clearance. That was around where 17 went from compass east/west to compass north/south about 15 miles from the NJ line.

If I remember correctly Hemingway had a small terminal before Carretta at that location.
Hemingway, A whale of a truck line.One year before they went out of business in 1981 they made the largest single bulk equipment purchase of any truck line to date .

Not sure where you were Jimmy, but there was an underpass on 17 that went under RR tracks at Harriman, NY that had a low clearance. That was around where 17 went from compass east/west to compass north/south about 15 miles from the NJ line.
That overpass is 13’11” now.They dug that out decades ago I think it was around 13 or 13 5 I don’t have a memory like a dinosaur ,like Triplex does .But I have been under there a few times,With a rag top and a van.:shift: