XPO | New Rule - Measure Freight Wrong 5 times in a year and Get Fired

come work where I do..We have an FOS who runs around yelling and he'll call your ass out on the intercom..lol

I know of one of the drivers at my former barn being called out on the intercom for going to the bathroom after finishing a breaker. If you can't stop for 5 minutes to take a **** then there's something wrong.

Attendance... a big deal. Five strikes and ya could be gone. Safety... pick a bucket and the same rules apply. We were all trained 18 months ago on measuring freight. And, how important accurate measurements are to our forecasting of line-haul. There are those who don't care about measuring the freight and they care even less as to how that behavior affects everyone that touches that freight after they close the trailer door at the customer. Whether you work the outbound, reship, or inbound bad projections are preventable. Unlike attendance these coaching sessions are not automatic strikes. You have the opportunity to discuss the freight and the environment (customer's dock) where you did the measuring. The 80/20 rule applies here also... 80 percent of the problems are caused by 20 percent of the population. As stated earlier, take the time to do your job right the first time, understand why it needs to be done that way, and cash the paycheck for your efforts on Thursday. You choose to show up to work on time, you choose to perform your job safely, and you also choose to measure your freight accurately. It's not like your tape measure is in inches and the C.A.C.'s is metric... measure it accurately, write the numbers on the B.O.L., and move on to your next stop.

come work where I do..We have an FOS who runs around yelling and he'll call your ass out on the intercom..lol
The drivers at my barn are very out spoken (I haven't been there long enough to say to much out of the way) but most of our senior drivers will get in their grill quick. That FOS would either change his ways after the first day or disappear. I've noticed on this forum that apparently each barn is really different. I've seen our drivers say things to the management I couldn't believe, and in a very stern way. They don't hold back. I'm glad their standup people because it helps management and the drivers stay on the same page.

I said in this thread somewhere before that after they told us about this new measurement thing that they had to smooth things over the next day because of the way they went about it. It definitely ruffled some feathers. They changed what they originally said a whole lot and put it in a much nicer way.

They **** off enough drivers, the freight tends to move a whole lot slower.

If you all are letting stuff go that's really wrong like being called out in a bad way over the intercom or for going to the restroom, that's your fault. No one else to blame. Enough drivers tell em to stop, they'll stop.

The latest numbers on the Con-Waste T.V is that they made @ $145 million extra dollars off of the W&M. Maybe, there is something that the management isn't looking at or even care, or maybe not. Where did all the freight go? Could that be their plan? I remembered last year on ome of the videos, we were told that they wanted to be able to pick and choose what freight they wanted and the company get smaller to a controlable size. The company is too big and as everyone can see it is way out of control. How many worthless people do we have working with us? Soon, with the handhelds and the OBR's they will be able to terminate people they don't want without a legal or review board fight. The more I think about it thats what I see. Could it be that it's not cooperate greed, but, cooperate smart? I hate to use that in the same sentance.
2 Weeks ago, we lost 4 linehaul bids and split them between the city and linehaul flex. Here's the wierd part, why would they hire 2 people if we don't have the freight to support them?

The more I think about it thats what I see. Could it be that it's not cooperate greed, but, cooperate smart? I hate to use that in the same sentance.
2 Weeks ago, we lost 4 linehaul bids and split them between the city and linehaul flex. Here's the wierd part, why would they hire 2 people if we don't have the freight to support them?

Hard to argue with a $5.6 billion freight company, they must be doing something right. What I was told was that they were weeding out the cheap paying customers and freight and focusing more on the high paying freight that needed optimal type services. Like.... We may be the most expensive but we can guarantee it on the day you need it or it's free. If it's damaged we buy it. No hassles with more next-day and two-day delivery points than any other single carrier in the U.S.

Hard to argue with a $5.6 billion freight company, they must be doing something right. What I was told was that they were weeding out the cheap paying customers and freight and focusing more on the high paying freight that needed optimal type services. Like.... We may be the most expensive but we can guarantee it on the day you need it or it's free. If it's damaged we buy it. No hassles with more next-day and two-day delivery points than any other single carrier in the U.S.

Man you read just like a Con-way brochure!

I can't find my cut and paste key but i'm going to answer anyway. It will only be delivered on time if the sub van arrives on time. There are very limited circumstances when the shipping is free. If the shipment is not insured, the customer may be payed significantly less than value.

What I was told was that they were weeding out the cheap paying customers and freight and focusing more on the high paying freight that needed optimal type services.

Yep. They tried that before. Then the economy slowed down, and they went after any kind of garbage freight they could find.

It sounds like they are spending dollars to chase pennies. Why do they insist on doing the micro manage thing at Conway?

It sounds like they are spending dollars to chase pennies. Why do they insist on doing the micro manage thing at Conway?

Sadly this is not just at con-way..Its just a big corporation thing. So much for driving a truck to get away from constant supervision huh.

You know I really hope this company makes it but,it's like there looking under every rock for a dime. Been here a long time and it's sad it's not the same anymore want to cut cost how about shaving allittle off the top,I'm sure they could get some top people a little cheaper and I don't want want to here about what other CEO s make with what we have to do we should be making a helluva lot more than we are with all the responsibility that we have bestowed on us.its almost like what they have done and taken from us over the years that now there afraid we're taking or stealing from them.cant help from saying this just trying to get it off my chest.ive seen first hand how they done people it's just not rite.people have gave there whole life working here now I just feel a couple of things they get rid of you and they replace you with cheaper help and two they got rid of a senior person that they don't have to feel guilty about any more for the things that they done to him.im truly sorry for the rant and typing I'm a dam truck driver not a secretary .these opinions are mine only it's they way I feel but, I'm still going to work Monday and give my best. Thank u

With 25,000+ Con-way trucks on the road everyday, there should be plenty of interesting camera footage to sell to the tv networks. Instead of Ice Road Truckers, we can make "Pissed Off Truckers". Maybe we can get a pension funded through television royalties. We have some clowns in this organization that will be good for some interesting tv episodes.

I think I remember back in a meeting somewhere that they were buying a system to mount on the forklifts to cube freight, eliminating driver error. Guess putting cameras in the trucks was more important.

I guess someone beat me to inventing this. Haha. But this would never work at con-way and their constant quest for more mm/hr.. Cant see this working in a reship environment or even in outbound either unless it had like a UPS type deal with a conveyor system that can scan and weigh in motion...It would just kill productivity.

Last edited by a moderator: