Yellow | O’Brien and Mullen

Why was only union workers being allowed in to ground zero?

NYC used to be union exclusively at construction sites. Even most deliveries to major construction sites demanded a union driver with a current paid dues receipt.
Unfortunately, unions supported democrats exclusively with billions of $$$$ to elect these democrats.
The democrats that unions supported demanded Open Borders and today more than 50% of all NYC construction jobs are non union illegal immigrant workers. Thus anyone can deliver union or not.
Once again the unions screwed their own workers........

NYC used to be union exclusively at construction sites. Even most deliveries to major construction sites demanded a union driver with a current paid dues receipt.
Unfortunately, unions supported democrats exclusively with billions of $$$$ to elect these democrats.
The democrats that unions supported demanded Open Borders and today more than 50% of all NYC construction jobs are non union illegal immigrant workers. Thus anyone can deliver union or not.
Did not know that. I have nothing personal against the union but in a crisis of that nature the rules should be relaxed and everybody that wants to help let them. As far as the immigrant workers. They have taking over most of the construction jobs. You hear its jobs Americans dont want to do thats a lie. Its because they do it for way less and the Americans get under cut. Have seen many of times when i was in it. Most brick layers back in the day were African Americans and the illegal immigrants came in and worked the jobs for half or less than half and took every single one of their jobs. Go to a place today where bricks are being used and see whos doing it. The only American will be the supervisor or foreman. Starting to see it happen in trucking as well. I dont know what country they are from but they speak very little english and more and more are getting into trucking. They will under price us until they eventually take over.

Exactly how good is it for the 22,000 union Yellow workers today?
SOB should have done whatever possible to save those 30,000 jobs, he did nothing but played tough guy to scare UPS Into a contract
But then if Yellow employees do not mind losing their jobs so UPS employees could have a better contract, who am I to say it's wrong???
From my take pretty good, gave them an excuse to get out of this pathetic industry. I say this because we have two openings at my terminal (ABF) and one person applied and going for his road test another called and asked if he would start in the morning.... Both were from New Penn.

SOB should have done whatever possible to save those 30,000 jobs, he did nothing but played tough guy to scare UPS Into a contract
But then if Yellow employees do not mind losing their jobs so UPS employees could have a better contract, who am I to say it's wrong???
Yeah, we were all sitting around waiting, hoping and praying that YELLOW (a FREIGHT company) would go under so we (a PARCEL company) could get a better raise.

Thanks for your sacrifice.

Yeah, we were all sitting around waiting, hoping and praying that YELLOW (a FREIGHT company) would go under so we (a PARCEL company) could get a better raise.

Thanks for your sacrifice.
Come on now, you know what he meant. There were numerous comments made here on TB that SOB would look bad/weak giving in to Yellow at the same time he was pushing hard for a good contract at UPS.

Did O’Brian handle this correctly? NO
Did he act and say childish stuff? YES
Did Yellow blame IBT for its demise? YES
Did Yellow have problems for years? YES
Would YRC survive if SOB was not the president? NO
So in the end result was you had two grown men blaming each other to save face. SOB to show tough guy tactics, and Hawkins to blame the IBT for its history of problems.
I honestly believe had the company wanted to work it out they would have came to table along time ago. But in an effort to survive it would have cost a lot of members jobs and severe downsizing. Let’s face it we all wrote a check for a bad investment and got taken to the cleaners. The reality of it is two IBT members on the board should have stepped up sooner and started demanding changes for investors and members. But guess what Hawkins and crew get paid off and SOB keeps getting paid. 30,000 others have already made life changing adjustments and unfortunately some could not deal with it any more and took matters into their own hands. Can those responsible lay down at night comfortably with that on their conscious?

You were doing so good until you got to question 5. A question we'll never know the answer to.

So in the end result was you had two grown men blaming each other to save face. SOB to show tough guy tactics, and Hawkins to blame the IBT for its history of problems.
I honestly believe had the company wanted to work it out they would have came to table along time ago. But in an effort to survive it would have cost a lot of members jobs and severe downsizing. Let’s face it we all wrote a check for a bad investment and got taken to the cleaners. The reality of it is two IBT members on the board should have stepped up sooner and started demanding changes for investors and members. But guess what Hawkins and crew get paid off and SOB keeps getting paid. 30,000 others have already made life changing adjustments and unfortunately some could not deal with it any more and took matters into their own hands. Can those responsible lay down at night comfortably with that on their conscious?

Agree, big changes were needed to make Yellow competitive. That would have required some uncomfortable changes for some.
I do think the Yellow Board early on saw the mega success that Fed Ex Freight had in bringing in a few pretty big LTL carriers into one and creating the biggest LTL carrier in the nation.
Somehow Fed Ex pulled off buying Viking, American Freightways and Watkins joining them all together and making a super LTL carrier from all of them combined.
Yellow tried to do the same thing and it failed miserably..
What was the difference in those two events???

Agree, big changes were needed to make Yellow competitive. That would have required some uncomfortable changes for some.
I do think the Yellow Board early on saw the mega success that Fed Ex Freight had in bringing in a few pretty big LTL carriers into one and creating the biggest LTL carrier in the nation.
Somehow Fed Ex pulled off buying Viking, American Freightways and Watkins joining them all together and making a super LTL carrier from all of them combined.
Yellow waiting too long and too arrogant and Union too stubborn to change its ways.

That’s easy. One asked for billions in concessions from their employees and the other one didn’t.

Reactions: TC1
Republicans support making unions illegal , republican politician show up to a picket line and show support , never