Yellow | O’Brien and Mullen

Then you should also agree that deregulation was not fair to all the companies that paid the required government fees to operate in specific territories while under regulation before 1980. All the new start up companies came in without that added cost and were able to operate anywhere they chose. So, would you not agree the government should have reimbursed all those companies the operating fees that they had to pay over the years before changing the rules and allowing anyone to get in the business? Would that not be considered as getting an advantage over your competitor or “government cheese” as you put it?
SOR, I have searched the Internet to find out what a company "paid" (the fees you mention) to the ICC before deregulation in order to have "rights" to haul freight. I can find nothing about what was paid, only comments about what those "rights" were worth to another company who might want to purchase the company holding those rights. Do you have any information or links about what those rights cost?

Then you should also agree that deregulation was not fair to all the companies that paid the required government fees to operate in specific territories while under regulation before 1980. All the new start up companies came in without that added cost and were able to operate anywhere they chose. So, would you not agree the government should have reimbursed all those companies the operating fees that they had to pay over the years before changing the rules and allowing anyone to get in the business? Would that not be considered as getting an advantage over your competitor or “government cheese” as you put it?
I do not know of any 'start up' LTL carriers to enter in the post regulated world? I am also unaware of any purchasing of rights from government. There may have been some purchase but those were transferable and some were sold.
I do know that those carriers who owned those 'rights' were price fixing and charging extremely high rates for transportation. Creating a very inefficient transportation system and one that cost working people an extreme amount of money. I seem to remember Jimmy Carter claiming the average American Family will save $3,500 per year from trucking deregulation.
That was the force behind Ted Kennedy and the Democrats push for deregulation in 1980. It was just a few years after the Democrats deregulated the airline industry again claiming to save the middle class thousands of dollars. Who knew...
Thus that does not equal government cheese to the level of the Trump's gift to Yellow to continue the agony for a few more years...

SOR, I have searched the Internet to find out what a company "paid" (the fees you mention) to the ICC before deregulation in order to have "rights" to haul freight. I can find nothing about what was paid, only comments about what those "rights" were worth to another company who might want to purchase the company holding those rights. Do you have any information or links about what those rights cost?

I don't think they cost anything other than the cost of navigating the process which was almost impossible. Aquisition was easier than the process. That was the value.

No sir I do not. As you stated above, companies would basically have to purchase other companies to get the ICC rights to operate in that territory. I know that ABF purchased Fast Freight in 1969 to expand into Pennsylvania and New York. They also purchased Navajo Freight in 1978 for the ICC rights to expand. I will try to research about the cost (if any) for ICC rights from the government. I may be wrong about that part. It certainly would not be my first time!!
LOL !!!

No sir I do not. As you stated above, companies would basically have to purchase other companies to get the ICC rights to operate in that territory. I know that ABF purchased Fast Freight in 1969 to expand into Pennsylvania and New York. They also purchased Navajo Freight in 1978 for the ICC rights to expand. I will try to research about the cost (if any) for ICC rights from the government. I may be wrong about that part. It certainly would not be my first time!!
LOL !!!
The By-Lines this month lists several of the acquisitions the company made to get operating rights which was about the only way a company could grow before deregulation. To get operating rights back then other than an acquistion a company had to show there was a need for service in that particular area. Many questioned the decision to buy Navajo knowing deregulation was coming & why not wait till then. The company decided they would already be established, which turned out to be a good decision. Employees with both companies were dove tailed in by seniority. ABF did not have terminals/employees in the West so not so many ABF employees lost seniority or jobs as with later acquisitions. There was turmoil among employees with that acquisition but not as much as with the ETMF & Carolina/World Way acquisiton.

Agree, big changes were needed to make Yellow competitive. That would have required some uncomfortable changes for some.
I do think the Yellow Board early on saw the mega success that Fed Ex Freight had in bringing in a few pretty big LTL carriers into one and creating the biggest LTL carrier in the nation.
Somehow Fed Ex pulled off buying Viking, American Freightways and Watkins joining them all together and making a super LTL carrier from all of them combined.
Yellow tried to do the same thing and it failed miserably..
What was the difference in those two events???
One had a CEO that knew how to run a company and make sound financial decisions.
The other had Dollar Bill

LOL !!!
Let's not forget ETMF ....
If I remember rights were granted by the ICC to operate and service all area's big and small in the territory granted.
Some were open door some were closed door.
If you had rights to pick and deliver in Chicago , Denver and LA. in-between points were interlined between other carriers.
IML,Nations Way, REA and Ringsby good examples.
Every body made money and had published rates.

lets not talk about ICC rights or dereg... or any of that bull ::shit::.............. boil it down soup to nuts..................................... one topic here.......... did a ****ing meme put this company out of business or not. at this point of the game does not matter for all of us 30k involved................ its over......................................................................... BUT DID THAT TOMBSTONE MEME DO IT OR NOT ? honestly I say it did.......... costomers just fled .. not within days but hours and not a couple but in droves! there was no recovery after that ... once you ring the bell it can not be unrung !