TForce | Our sick time is a joke!

UPS Freight vacations work funny also..

I've been with Overnite,now UPS Freight for 20 years,after 16 years I receive 4 weeks vacation.
It goes by senority when you can take two weeks of the total.
You have to sign up for your first two weeks either two together,or one first,than the second later.
This takes place by mid Feb.,after every one signs for the dates of the two weeks it has to be approved by the TM,than in a week or so he hands back an approval statement with your dates.

The other two weeks have to be taken by approval of the TM after the lowest worker has got their vacation in place.

No-one can have more than two weeks together.

I usualy take one week at a time for the first two weeks,than use the other two for personal days with at least a weeks notice to the TM.

Its nice to have four weeks paid vacation.
But it would be better if we could put more time together,for some real rest,and relaxation.

Yeah I know I shouldn't be a whinner.
I could have 52 weeks of unpaid vacation.

Apo... you are lucky you have any vacation at all. how long have you been working for UPS? you got 4 weeks vacation with less than 4 months as an employee for UPS.

wassesname said:
Apo... you are lucky you have any vacation at all. how long have you been working for UPS? you got 4 weeks vacation with less than 4 months as an employee for UPS.

I like your thinking....LOL

Are you saying everyone starts from scratch as of May 1st?

If thats the case....I like the idea of the seniority board being in alphebetical order...LOL
:Banane01: :bananalama::rockon:

Glad ... thats exactly what i am saying. it happened to me before, the company was sold and the new owner wasnt gonna give 1,2,3 or 4 weeks vacation to people who never worked a day for him.eventualle he agreed to give a week off to everybody but said he couldnt pay anybody. as far as seniority, there was a 25 year old guy on the list above a guy with 27 years with the company. been there, experienced that.

we sill have our sick days but there's a catch. you still lose the first 2 days, then use a sick day. after the 3rd day, atena takes over. basically you can only use one sick day at a time. options are to lose 10 days of pay a year to get them or use 10 days of vacation in order to use them. info in bold print came from home office today

wassesname said:
Glad ... thats exactly what i am saying. it happened to me before, the company was sold and the new owner wasnt gonna give 1,2,3 or 4 weeks vacation to people who never worked a day for him.eventualle he agreed to give a week off to everybody but said he couldnt pay anybody. as far as seniority, there was a 25 year old guy on the list above a guy with 27 years with the company. been there, experienced that.
So, if I understand you correctly, UPS was pretty fair to us by letting us maintain our service and vacation time? Have not thought about that, but I have also heard of others having to start over when bought by another company. They could have saved a lot of money by making us start over.

wassesname said:
bb... you are exactly right, they could have,do you still have the "wate and see" attitude?
I never had that attitude. I just want answers to make an informed decision for what is best for my family. So far, it looks pretty even. We make close to the other freight companies wages, better than some - worst than a couple, retirement plan and retirement H&W look better than any I have seen in the freight. At least I know what I am getting. But I'm so close to the finish line that I can smell the BBQ....

Teamster251 said:
NMFA calls for all unused sick days to be paid for with eight (8) hour at the applicable rate of pay on April 1st of every contract year.

Makes a nice extra check for all you healthy guys. Pads the vacation fund, the drinking fund, the gambling fund, the "little something on the side" fund.
T251
Dammit boy, I like the way you think!:bananapowerslide:

Teamster251 said:
How about this...........

Sick days payable with only a 2 hour notice.
Personal days payable with seven (7) days notice.

If you decide not to use the sick days you are paid 8 hours pay for all days not used on April 1st

Personal days must be used or you lost them.

All this is covered and agreed to, in the NMFA
Just a little fyi, here in central, or at least at my terminal, we get paid for unused personal days, 8hrs for dock,yard, and P&D, 10hrs for road men.

Does anybody have a copy of that letter? Someone at our terminal got sick a few weeks ago and only got paid for 1 day after being out 5 day's. We were not informed about this.

Teamster251 said:
How about this...........

Sick days payable with only a 2 hour notice.
Personal days payable with seven (7) days notice.

If you decide not to use the sick days you are paid 8 hours pay for all days not used on April 1st

Personal days must be used or you lost them.

All this is covered and agreed to, in the NMFA

Heck NO!!!.. a peronal day should not have to been givin noticed.. they don't give notice they are going to fire you. they don't give notice that the Rd is closed over the hill. they don't give notice for alot of things they do.. and if my dad dies in a fire tonight we aren't going to wait 7 days to do anything about so I can give some Co. a 7 day notice I need a personal day. A personal day is just that.... PERSONAL... A 7 day notice would be almost like taking a VACATION day.

gb251 said:
Does anybody have a copy of that letter? Someone at our terminal got sick a few weeks ago and only got paid for 1 day after being out 5 day's. We were not informed about this.
Welcome to the boards, gb251!! To answer your question, you need to be out 3 days to get paid for 1. Which I heard is a whopping $50 for the day!! I'm sooooo pleased to have such a benefit!! :Cow-Pie:

hugnlug said:
Welcome to the boards, gb251!! To answer your question, you need to be out 3 days to get paid for 1. Which I heard is a whopping $50 for the day!! I'm sooooo pleased to have such a benefit!! :Cow-Pie:
I have never taken a sick day. But I can tell you that they pay me back $50.00 per day x 5 = $250.00 Minus taxes= $160.00 The $50.00 a day is what they pay you for unused days paid back. I believe when you finally get a paid sick day it is 8 hours on the clock at your current rate. Road drivers get the same as p&d

gb251 said:
UPSF will pay you one sick day after being off two days. Then you must have a shot term or long term disability note from your doctor and submit it to Atena. Then Atena will pay you.

Since the change in sick day policy at my terminal we have had to people out on long term disability and one is still out.

UPSF blined sided us with this.

thats right men stand and be counted,not over looked and played like a puppet.yes i said puppet.the choice is yours but where i work we don't roll like that.

seniority issue

let me **** you off some more guys, remember how your hire date was when you got hired? wrong, they recently took all of our part time seniority away. they are going by your full time classification date. that is your company seniority now. yea, they are gonna take care of us, come on people , wake up, anyone gettin it yet?

mrissue said:
let me **** you off some more guys, remember how your hire date was when you got hired? wrong, they recently took all of our part time seniority away. they are going by your full time classification date. that is your company seniority now. yea, they are gonna take care of us, come on people , wake up, anyone gettin it yet?
Well hell you are barely worth keeping at full time....So part time you are not worth a thought... You know us employee types are just the necessary evil of doing buisiness...