Holland | Outside Carriers

There is no problem running ELD’s, I don’t see why so many people have issues with them.

The real problem comes at the Shippers and receivers And detention times. On this thread there was a post that addressed that issue in particular, where someone joked about holding for personal grudges an outside carrier. That only hurts everyone involved really since that would delay the freight. Delayed freight eventually leads to the shipper/broaker to utilize a different contractor/company. That’s basics 101 and no carrier is to big for them to seek a different one.

Some joke about those driving down the road at break neck speeds and tired, most often that can be traced back to being held at either a shipper or receiver and then attempting to meet the appointments. Now thanks to both OOIDA as well as the Unions many HOS are being revised to address that and give flexibility with the clock. One thing Covid-1984 has done is show with the “Essential” shipments that flexibility in the HOS is not only possible but can be accomplished safely.

One of the biggest problems in the industry isn’t Union verse none, it’s training and proper saftey practices verses what I like to call puppy mills turning out 36 day wonders and giving them the keys to a $140,000 tractor. And it’s not only the Non’s as we all know that does that since it wasn’t to long ago that Holland and YRCW started reducing the requirements to be hired to drive their equipment.
I hate to burst your bubble but the only people that ship with us are doing it to save a buck, the ones that need good service are long gone!

All you are doing is shooting yourself in the foot doing so, it might not seem like it short term but long term it does. I am not saying you personally do, but I seen it often happen at my old barn.

Damaged freight reflects everyone involved, from the driver to the dockworker to the company as a whole. Enough times and the shipper will seek a better company to haul their freight, let alone the costs of damage claims.
I never said anything about damaging freight, there are ways to make a road drivers life unpleasant without damaging freight. Half of the terminals do it every night without trying! No I am not calling for a fork the freight Friday or anything like that!

And I will give you another incite, what was traditionally LTL and only covered by companies such as Holland, XPO, you name it is now open to TL carriers as well.

The load boards have opened up to TL carriers to now do LTL and there are specific boards now targeting just that. Brokers have been reaching out to carriers with capacity to expand in this market and making it very lucrative to do so. Not all those “shiny wheels” crisscross the country, and same day service crosstown loads are very profitable, especially for those who were runners at companies they left.
There is plenty of work for everybody, you just need good management! Oh well, were screwed!

I hate to burst your bubble but the only people that ship with us are doing it to save a buck, the ones that need good service are long gone!
No bubble broken- goes to show the once decent carrier that had some of the highest rates in the industry due to service and low damage is now nothing but reduced to the gutter freight thanks to YRCW and those who have crappy attitudes there as.

I never said anything about damaging freight, there are ways to make a road drivers life unpleasant without damaging freight. Half of the terminals do it every night without trying! No I am not calling for a fork the freight Friday or anything like that!
Yet you advocate to make road drivers “life unpleasant “ what does that really accomplish?

Does it change them outsourcing the freight due to lack of in-house personal willing to do it? Or is it a self gratification thing?

And which or how many customers actually told you that? I have many customers on the routes I run that prefer and use us over everyone else. Feel free to ride along some day and you can actually talk to some of them and get some facts. Our service is why we’re busy, not because we’re hauling stuff for free. That might be the case for only a percentage of our customers. Look at the difference between us and the YRC end. Customers want their freight in 1 or 2 days without damage, not 5 or 6 days and delivered upside down. The other reason we have to use outside carriers is it seems like every so often half of the road fleet calls in sick. We had only 13 or 14 show up on a recent Friday. That’s more than half of our board! And then I hear complaining when they can’t find anyone to hire so they open it up for city guys to run one if they have hours left (which they don’t). I wish some of you would think before posting crap on here.

And which or how many customers actually told you that? I have many customers on the routes I run that prefer and use us over everyone else. Feel free to ride along some day and you can actually talk to some of them and get some facts. Our service is why we’re busy, not because we’re hauling stuff for free. That might be the case for only a percentage of our customers. Look at the difference between us and the YRC end. Customers want their freight in 1 or 2 days without damage, not 5 or 6 days and delivered upside down. The other reason we have to use outside carriers is it seems like every so often half of the road fleet calls in sick. We had only 13 or 14 show up on a recent Friday. That’s more than half of our board! And then I hear complaining when they can’t find anyone to hire so they open it up for city guys to run one if they have hours left (which they don’t). I wish some of you would think before posting crap on here.
Raise our rates up to everyone else's and than talk to me! They probably don't want to hurt your feelings by telling you your cheap!

I agree with all points made in this post, how fast would you say they burn through that $700 million?
They keep playing games calling bonuses other things and they might never see the second half. I think they only got half?

Yet you advocate to make road drivers “life unpleasant “ what does that really accomplish?

Does it change them outsourcing the freight due to lack of in-house personal willing to do it? Or is it a self gratification thing?
They should be hiring Union Workers to haul the Union Companies Freight! That's my point, screw them shiny wheels they don't belong on our property! Should be all standing at the curb till they are! Yes I know we can't do that anymore. Let's leave that self gratification stuff out of this, what I do at home is my own personal business.

Raise our rates up to everyone else's and than talk to me! They probably don't want to hurt your feelings by telling you your cheap!
The offer still stands. Ride along and talk to some customers for yourself. You’ll get more credible feedback that way than from the break room or channel 19. You have no clue how our rates compare.

They should be hiring Union Workers to haul the Union Companies Freight! That's my point, screw them shiny wheels they don't belong on our property! Should be all standing at the curb till they are! Yes I know we can't do that anymore. Let's leave that self gratification stuff out of this, what I do at home is my own personal business.
There are several reasons for PT attendance is one lack of drivers is another. For several years they have being predicting a shortage of drivers, there is. Another reason we have issues is fluctuations of freight and density in certain areas. Some barns have more outbound than inbound, so if you can put long freight on PT it will open up a driver or drivers to run something that is short with 3or 4 hours remaining in there day. Some have more inbound than out, PT brings a load in then goes down road for a back haul. Empty miles and hotels get expensive. I am not a huge fan of brokers coming in to terminal, nor am I a fan of company spending more money to get a guy out of bed and run him 2 to 3 hours empty for a load at another terminal. In my opinion as more barns are merged you will see more changes coming from company utilizing provisions in contract to move freight in city and road more effectively.
I wish everyone would try and help make Things better instead of always trying to toss a wrench in the gears.
Accept things aren’t the way they were 25 years ago and help to improve not destroy.

There are several reasons for PT attendance is one lack of drivers is another. For several years they have being predicting a shortage of drivers, there is. Another reason we have issues is fluctuations of freight and density in certain areas. Some barns have more outbound than inbound, so if you can put long freight on PT it will open up a driver or drivers to run something that is short with 3or 4 hours remaining in there day. Some have more inbound than out, PT brings a load in then goes down road for a back haul. Empty miles and hotels get expensive. I am not a huge fan of brokers coming in to terminal, nor am I a fan of company spending more money to get a guy out of bed and run him 2 to 3 hours empty for a load at another terminal. In my opinion as more barns are merged you will see more changes coming from company utilizing provisions in contract to move freight in city and road more effectively.
I wish everyone would try and help make Things better instead of always trying to toss a wrench in the gears.
Accept things aren’t the way they were 25 years ago and help to improve not destroy.
Finally a post with some thought put into it first. Well said!

Unfortunately few people in America associate unions with quality any more. Most Americans & businesses avoid doing business with union companies.
Just read a few of your posts and you confirm that thought process...
ODFL makes YRC and the Divisions look like junky old carriers....

Unfortunately few people in America associate unions with quality any more. Most Americans & businesses avoid doing business with union companies.
Just read a few of your posts and you confirm that thought process...
ODFL makes YRC and the Divisions look like junky old carriers....
What does all of that have anything to do with guys making sub standard wages (shiny wheels) being on our property? Yes I know there were changes in the last contract, but if guys are smart and stick together we could put an end to it!

They are giving shiny wheels 450 mile runs out of our barn regularly. So much for long freight!

What does all of that have anything to do with guys making sub standard wages (shiny wheels) being on our property? Yes I know there were changes in the last contract, but if guys are smart and stick together we could put an end to it!
Just asking whats your ideas on how to move the freight with no help ??

Just asking whats your ideas on how to move the freight with no help ??
You don't! You force the company to take action to solve the problem! Lose customers or make it more attractive to new employees! It worked for many years it should work now.