Yellow | Protect The Dock Only Teamster Brothers and Sisters On The Change of Operations!

I started on the dock with years of driving experience. Only senior guys drove. I worked with casuals who paid dues with no CDL
And no rights. Just a right to answer the phone and come when called. At any hour. And stay until they were allowed to go home. And if they made a mistake and didn't run around when told...there was a chance they wouldn't be called.
Did the same job as me for 6-8 years until I had seniority to drive.
Union shop.... dues paying members. No grievance machinery. And drivers and CDL dock guys treated them just as bad as I'd ever seen at nonunion shops. Ratting. Acting like bosses.
Never could stand it.

Looking at things now.
Company wants UE.
Road drivers eliminate to become dock workers at foreign terminals.
Their future plans could be to say..although you drive half the night....the rest of the night you are just a dockworker.....therefore to survive...you will now get dock rate on dock....and driver rate while driving.

You'd be wiser to ask for the current dock guys to get your driver's rate.
Without dock workers that leaves drivers to do it.
And if they cost as much as a driver...the TM'S will lose money if they're not doing their job.
And I'd think discpline would pick up.

Injuries or health issues put drivers on the dock here.
And they get paid drivers rate because they can't pass the DOT physical. Some never will again.
Yet they get drivers rate. And do only dock work.
Right next to guys making less money.
I'd rather see it all equal.
And if a driver wants to work dock instead of drive be able to bid dock
My suggestion is to do whatever ODFL does, they seem to know how to operate an LTL Carrier

Twice as hard yes, but factor in that if you have a bad day on the dock you restack the freight or get a broom and clean up your mess. If You have a bad day on a peddle or linehaul. maybe you or someone else doesn't go home again. Drivers have a lot more invested in their jobs than a dock worker., And even in a union job every day as a driver is your last day.
Every job can be made dangerous by the individual doing it or by others. If someone backs over you with a forklift, that can be deadly also. If a driver pulls a trailer out while you’re coming out, you can be killed. Every job has dangerous disadvantages and yes, that includes driving a truck also.

THE REASON I STARTED THIS THREAD WAS NOT TO DEBATE DOCK VS. DRIVER WAGES, BUT TO PROTECT DOCK ONLY NON-CDL EMPLOYEES WHO MIGHT BE KICKED TO THE CURB ON THIS PROPOSED CHANGE OF OPERATIONS. SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET THEIR CDL BECAUSE OF MEDICAL OR MENTAL HEALTH CONDITIONS AND THE COMPANY WOULD LIKE TO TELL THEM THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER QUALIFIED TO WORK FOR YELLOW AND WOULD TERMINATE THEM. THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

A PERSON WORKS 10-15-20 YEARS DOCK ONLY AND YOU THE COMPANY COMES IN ON A BOGUS CHANGE OF OPS AND SAYS YOU MUST GET CDL QUALIFED WITHIN 60 DAYS OR POSSIBLY HAVE TO GO INTO A POOL BID AND TRANSFER HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY! IT'S THE JOB OF THE TEAMSTER FREIGHT DIVISION OFFICIALS TO SEE THAT THESE JOBS ARE PROTECTED. ALL OF THEM!

:hissyfit:

:usa:

THE REASON I STARTED THIS THREAD WAS NOT TO DEBATE DOCK VS. DRIVER WAGES, BUT TO PROTECT DOCK ONLY NON-CDL EMPLOYEES WHO MIGHT BE KICKED TO THE CURB ON THIS PROPOSED CHANGE OF OPERATIONS. SOME PEOPLE MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO GET THEIR CDL BECAUSE OF MEDICAL OR MENTAL HEALTH CONDITIONS AND THE COMPANY WOULD LIKE TO TELL THEM THAT THEY ARE NO LONGER QUALIFIED TO WORK FOR YELLOW AND WOULD TERMINATE THEM. THAT'S NOT RIGHT!

A PERSON WORKS 10-15-20 YEARS DOCK ONLY AND YOU THE COMPANY COMES IN ON A BOGUS CHANGE OF OPS AND SAYS YOU MUST GET CDL QUALIFED WITHIN 60 DAYS OR POSSIBLY HAVE TO GO INTO A POOL BID AND TRANSFER HUNDREDS OF MILES AWAY! IT'S THE JOB OF THE TEAMSTER FREIGHT DIVISION OFFICIALS TO SEE THAT THESE JOBS ARE PROTECTED. ALL OF THEM!

:hissyfit:
Unfortunately companies want people that can drive...not just work the dock.

According to the last proposal, Akron-211 is closing as a Distribution Center and re-opening as an end of the line terminal with all CDL qualified drivers.

I heard from a good source that O'Brien told them that we're not gonna accept any concessions and they can stick it up their ass. And the IBT walked out.
So it looks like changes will be necessary.
A friend, of a friend, of a friend, who knew THE MAN!!!!!! How could this not be true. Lololol

Dock only is and has always been a dying proposition. All Full time freight workers will have a valid cdl and medical card or they will cease to be full time employees. Get used to it. And no your skills as a dockworker are not special or impressive.

A friend of mine works at Penske in Phili, and he told me they have like 150 sleeper tractors being prepped for YRC that will be used by UE drivers who will be running PA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, and MD, out 4 weeks at a stretch?

A friend of mine works at Penske in Phili, and he told me they have like 150 sleeper tractors being prepped for YRC that will be used by UE drivers who will be running PA, NY, NJ, CT, MA, and MD, out 4 weeks at a stretch?

Wow, I heard the same thing last night! Oh wait a minute, that could have been the dream I had after eating a few rippers right before I went to sleep. Never mind, carry on.

We had drivers only forever.
And that changed to having FT dock.

Driver only seems to be the company solution
And road drivers are the replacement for dock.
Who wants it?

Another rumour I heard from a questionable source was that road will turn totally into UE. (Utility Employee).

And will be dispatched to their chosen velocity terminal. And from there they will work dock and be dispatched from velocity terminal to velocity terminal for 3 weeks at a time before going home.

Sound great?
I'm sure pay will not remain desirable.

Hobo travelling circus.
Forget your family.
It's all about Yellow.

Total attack on Locals and family.
Replace it with becoming nomads for the company.

Sorta the same concept as deregulation.
Anybody goes anywhere...
Globalism. No borders. Nobody to be tied to....just their money. And if you don't do what they say....they'll starve ya.

FOOOOOOR. THE COMPANY!
This will never happen, they can't pay enough to keep this generation away from their family for 3 weeks.

Wow, I heard the same thing last night! Oh wait a minute, that could have been the dream I had after eating a few rippers right before I went to sleep. Never mind, carry on.
Was that the same dream that keeps a man away from home for 3 weeks working the dock?
:lmao::lmao:

I told you that rumour was not such a reliable source.
Plenty of Teamsters like to stir the pot really good around here.
They're the best at it.

But ya never know.
I thought I'd pass on a little bit of the bunch of BS we hear right in our face out here.

These boards would say we MUST do it to compete.
No doubt about that.
They'd vote yes.
1000:1 odds on that.
You should know, I'm not familiar with BS, everything I post is the gospel. :bouncy: :bouncy: :clapping:

My partner and I will get more info on this later today, as we are just passing Breezewood right now enroute to NJ