XPO | PTO / Vacation time - Is the process fair ?

icuicp

TB Veteran
Credits
I started this thread because it seems wrong to me that a driver that is in the hole as far as PTO/Vacation , can reserve time off over a driver that is not in the hole. To me , it would be OK if a driver in the negative reserves time , but they should not have first choice over a driver that isn't in the hole.

It kind of seems like loaning money to a person with 20 maxed out credit cards and 3 mortgages on their house , but the guy with his house , car , bills , etc. payed off can't get a loan.

I think it works (or used to) that as long as the time was booked off by the end of the year, for the following year, it went in order of seniority, after the beginning of the year, it was first come first serve. I'm sure it's still that way is it not?

I started this thread because it seems wrong to me that a driver that is in the hole as far as PTO/Vacation , can reserve time off over a driver that is not in the hole. To me , it would be OK if a driver in the negative reserves time , but they should not have first choice over a driver that isn't in the hole.

It kind of seems like loaning money to a person with 20 maxed out credit cards and 3 mortgages on their house , but the guy with his house , car , bills , etc. payed off can't get a loan.

Yeah, but when their time comes for the 'off' days, they have to be able to not go beyond the 80 hours negative. But as the rule stands, they can bid for those days using their seniority. But, I work at a class I SC, and I don't have a problem getting my days, so I probably can't relate to somebody at a smaller SC.

I think it works (or used to) that as long as the time was booked off by the end of the year, for the following year, it went in order of seniority, after the beginning of the year, it was first come first serve. I'm sure it's still that way is it not?

It is by seniority with the initial requests, but then first come after that

It kind of seems like loaning money to a person with 20 maxed out credit cards and 3 mortgages on their house , but the guy with his house , car , bills , etc. payed off can't get a loan

Just when I thought there was nothing left to complain about.........

You bid you first 5 single PTO's in seniority and then after everybody else has bid, on that day you can turn in as many as you want first come first serve. They used to have 3 round's of single day's bidding, but they aren't doing that anymore.

Just when I thought there was nothing left to complain about.........

Well let me ask , and not complain - Do you think a person in the negative should be allowed to participate in the first come first serve equally with a person that is not in the negative?

Say you want a Friday off and a driver has it reserved that has you beat on seniority. If this is a day that is in high demand , should the driver in the negative be allowed to reserve the day over you , in the positive?

Well let me ask , and not complain - Do you think a person in the negative should be allowed to participate in the first come first serve equally with a person that is not in the negative?

Say you want a Friday off and a driver has it reserved that has you beat on seniority. If this is a day that is in high demand , should the driver in the negative be allowed to reserve the day over you , in the positive?
I think yes, my opinion. They should have left it like it was and you get your vacation at the beginning of the year. I know you asked him, but that's my opinion.

I think yes, my opinion. They should have left it like it was and you get your vacation at the beginning of the year. I know you asked him, but that's my opinion.

No problem with you or anybody answering - the whole point is to find out what's on other peoples mind.

Just because a guy get's sick or has to have surgery and they are in the positive 80 hour's, they take it from you. That's BS. It's not like your on a beach on vacation, why take your day's from you???????? BS

I think the whole process is screwed up. everything from what is being said here about negative and positive time to senior drivers booking 3 to 5 weeks of the summer. why cant there be a limit to the number of weeks they can book over the summer? It would be nice to take a week off over the summer to enjoy a vacation with my kids while they are still young.

Just because a guy get's sick or has to have surgery and they are in the positive 80 hour's, they take it from you. That's BS. It's not like your on a beach on vacation, why take your day's from you???????? BS

I agree with you on that. Going forward , our company needs to come up with a way to keep a person from being wiped out of time off due to unexpected but excusable issues. Short term disability doesn't apply until after 2 weeks of time off.

Well in the past you would have had the days new system makes you unless you had the days saved pryor to your needing them if you think you should be able to jump over a senior Driver thats in the hole No i think this is wrong As I said earlier they would have had those days pryor to this new system !!

Well in the past you would have had the days new system makes you unless you had the days saved pryor to your needing them if you think you should be able to jump over a senior Driver thats in the hole No i think this is wrong As I said earlier they would have had those days pryor to this new system !!

Good point. But what do you do about that one bad apple working the system , 50hrs in the hole , never off for any real problem , and reserving time off just like any other driver?

I think the whole process is screwed up. everything from what is being said here about negative and positive time to senior drivers booking 3 to 5 weeks of the summer. why cant there be a limit to the number of weeks they can book over the summer? It would be nice to take a week off over the summer to enjoy a vacation with my kids while they are still young.

I agree with you on that. Going forward , our company needs to come up with a way to keep a person from being wiped out of time off due to unexpected but excusable issues. Short term disability doesn't apply until after 2 weeks of time off.

Good point. But what do you do about that one bad apple working the system , 50hrs in the hole , never off for any real problem , and reserving time off just like any other driver?

Just wait, and keep saving your time..that guy who doesn't have any saved will, eventually get the shaft..

The way I see it is if your company time awards you x amount of weeks a yr you should be able to take it regardless if you have the time or not

No problem with you or anybody answering - the whole point is to find out what's on other peoples mind.
I think that it is really no ones' buisness as to if a person has a negative or not. you are allowed(this year) 80 neg. hours, with that being said I think senority should always prevail, come on guys!!!!!! this is only one of the last two things we got, and all those that are complaining well..... You should have been here one day before the other guy!!!! plain and simple.....