XPO | Pulling a 28 Footer?

How come most conway city drivers pull a 28 footer on there route. Do they not know how to back a 53?
If you got a pup at our barn....you probably have appointment freight. I don't know about the east coast but we got plenty of 53's and 48's and some 45's. The vans are a whole lot easier to back than those damn pups.

How come most conway city drivers pull a 28 footer on there route. Do they not know how to back a 53?

It depends on the area ... size of terminal .. We do have long boxes but like beerfd said it is probably appointment freight or a volume. Conway owns more pups than long boxes by a long shot. You may want to look closer at the "28" footers also. It maybe a 32 footer or a 12'0 foot or a 12'6 pup also

If they can back a 28 footer, they should be able to back a 45' 48' and 53'.
Swing doors is a different story. Some forget to open them when they make switches.

backing a 53' can be done half a sleep for most company drivers. With the longer wheel base (53 vs 28) everything happens in slow motion (direction change) when compared to a pup.

A driver in city p&d often takes a set of pups into a community, breaking his set and delivering one pup at a time. If you were to catch him before he begins his deliveries or at the completion of deliveries and pickups you would often see him hooked to a set of pups.

While conducting new hire driving evaluations it doesn't take long to figure out which ones are real truck drivers (sit, shift, and steer). I've seen snakes crawl across my yard straighter than a 53' jockey can back up a single 28' pup.

It depends on the area ... size of terminal .. We do have long boxes but like beerfd said it is probably appointment freight or a volume. Conway owns more pups than long boxes by a long shot. You may want to look closer at the "28" footers also. It maybe a 32 footer or a 12'0 foot or a 12'6 pup also
Never seen a 32, 12, or 12'6. Ya'll got those?

Never seen a 32, 12, or 12'6. Ya'll got those?
Some use them for peddle routes with low viaducts.

One time they used a 12'6 trailer for a route that had 13' bridges. They let the guy use a tractor with the top air damns on them making it 13'6 tall. He ripped the front air damn off and smoke stack.:chairshot: He got charged for the preventable accident.

Ever knock one of those swing doors off?:hide::hide::hide::hide:

Never happened to me but I have seen 3 happen this year while on my route.
Very funny and embarrassing for the driver.
While backing he didn't notice his door swung open on the blind side.
He ends up docking the open door first before actually hitting the dock. Door broke off and he ends up throwing it into the back of the trailer.

While conducting new hire driving evaluations it doesn't take long to figure out which ones are real truck drivers (sit, shift, and steer). I've seen snakes crawl across my yard straighter than a 53' jockey can back up a single 28' pup.

Very true! You get to see who drives straight for a living and who peddles for a living.

I've seen new hires (former 53' drivers) do near figure 8's while chasing the pup around.
I hum the Benny Hill theme song every time I witness it.

Anyone that can back up a pup, even half way decent, gets full respect out in the trucking world.

...thats my opinion.

Hubby pulled into a truckstop for a quick break and came out to find that his truck was blocked and he couldn't pull out but could back up.

So he backed the set of pups out of the slot and got on the road. Another driver came on the CB and told him he wasn't suppose to be able to do that.

I guess pulliing a set of pups for at least 10 years counts for something, huh?

I'll be sure and tell him. Goodness knows he gets very little respect on the job. His Million Miles got screwed up, a few years ago and didn't make it into the company mag. No party, no anything. One TM brought him his certificates and all the stuff that goes with the Million Miles and said here you go and walked off.

I know this bothered him, anyone could tell! Amazing how some ****heads can mess with good employees.

I have seen this done before. I can do it to a point. Kudo's to your hubby for being able to back a set as far as he did. :1036316054:

I pull a 53' with swing doors and sideskirts. It still says Conway Truckload on the side. We have 3 of them. You run P&D with that for a year with no f-ups with that I say you can drive. The only problem with a pup is being mt on bad roads. You might as well have two ski's when you hit the brakes. Oh yeah, my van is air ride with power landing gear!!

I pull a 53' with swing doors and sideskirts. It still says Conway Truckload on the side. We have 3 of them. You run P&D with that for a year with no f-ups with that I say you can drive. The only problem with a pup is being mt on bad roads. You might as well have two ski's when you hit the brakes. Oh yeah, my van is air ride with power landing gear!!

a 53' can be a pain doing p and d in certain areas.... especially a slap door trailer .. and the side skirts also .... kudos to you also :1036316054:

backing a 53' can be done half a sleep for most company drivers. With the longer wheel base (53 vs 28) everything happens in slow motion (direction change) when compared to a pup.

A driver in city p&d often takes a set of pups into a community, breaking his set and delivering one pup at a time. If you were to catch him before he begins his deliveries or at the completion of deliveries and pickups you would often see him hooked to a set of pups.

K Merdock from the midwest.. Come do P&D out east and tell me what size trl to test new dsr's with.. Not trying to be an azz but I'll take a 28' any day... Again I pull a 53 with swing doors and sideskirts. Do a few residentials with that. We all do it here....

32's usually have a small 2 foot platform on the back .

12' or 12'6" is referring to the clearance. they are needed in the older cities.