XPO | Pulling a 28 Footer?

You are not correct here. I used to pull heavy out of XAH quite a bit. Just loose some bills and cross out a line or two on the manifest. Hard to be legal when you only have two trailers to go to and no one to come thru and grab one.:hide:

I used to add some 1's in front of the weight to get my set over 26k to avoid taking city trucks for pm when I ran linehaul. A rack here and a 1 there and you're good. I share that priceless knowlege with our new guys when they have to run the city kitties. Fortunately we only have one now.

Hubby pulled into a truckstop for a quick break and came out to find that his truck was blocked and he couldn't pull out but could back up.

So he backed the set of pups out of the slot and got on the road. Another driver came on the CB and told him he wasn't suppose to be able to do that.

I guess pulliing a set of pups for at least 10 years counts for something, huh?

In my short stay at ccx I was amazed to see a driver come into the yard, and back a set of pups up to the dock, drop the rear, go drop the dolly , then drop the lead! I just had to see how square he was to the dock, and it was right on brother!! Couldnt believe it! I agree with ya'll on chasing around a pup while backing. Made me feel like a rookie real quick and I USED to pride myself on backing abilities.:1036316054::1036316054:

In my short stay at ccx I was amazed to see a driver come into the yard, and back a set of pups up to the dock, drop the rear, go drop the dolly , then drop the lead! I just had to see how square he was to the dock, and it was right on brother!! Couldnt believe it! I agree with ya'll on chasing around a pup while backing. Made me feel like a rookie real quick and I USED to pride myself on backing abilities.:1036316054::1036316054:

That was me. Down at XAH. Back a set into the door, drop the back box, and go about my job on the dock.

Took me a few months to get the hang of it. But saved time on your drop.Felt like a show off sometimes. Guys would watch you at the dock, and belive me if you messed up they would laugh at you.

There was another guy from XGR named Bernie who could do it very well too.

Over here at Yellow you see yard guys do that all day long like its nothing. Kind of cool to watch, Someone should make a You tube video of that.

XER driver who runs XMI is the best I have ever seen at that. 1 or 2 pullups and he's got it.

Yup, I saw him back a set into a hole 'tween two 48'ers in XCO. We had no (or few) 53's then and as info; The XCO doors are VERY tight on the old end of the terminal.

.....I like 'em tight.​

Had a 28' on Friday for the 1st time in about a year. Pure comedy.. Going down the 219 bypass mt on 4" of fresh slushy snow started the comedy. 5 or 6 pullups to get into the wide open dock at Eastern Sintered Alloys finished it. I was a real comedian with that silly thing. I take back all my posts on this thread.. Give my my 53' with side skirts, swing doors, and ABS.. PLEASE!!!!!!

Had a 28' on Friday for the 1st time in about a year. Pure comedy.. Going down the 219 bypass mt on 4" of fresh slushy snow started the comedy. 5 or 6 pullups to get into the wide open dock at Eastern Sintered Alloys finished it. I was a real comedian with that silly thing. I take back all my posts on this thread.. Give my my 53' with side skirts, swing doors, and ABS.. PLEASE!!!!!!
Makes you look like a rookie, doesn't it?

Makes you look like a rookie, doesn't it?

I was a real comedian beerfd. Halfway down the hill I thought it was all over. The backing was the icing on the cake. At least I would not need the runaway truck ramp backing up. All kidding aside I almost lost it. I feel I'm a pretty good driver. Been over Donners with chains on. That was a close one. Had to push the clutch to regain control. At that point I was doing 30 on a 20mph truck hill with 4" of slushy icy snow with no tracks on it. Was using engine to hold truck back and it went on me. With the 53' I use the brakes because it has ABS that work great. I TAKE BACK ALL POSTINGS ON THIS THREAD!! If you pull a 28' on bad roads you are better than me....

I was a real comedian beerfd. Halfway down the hill I thought it was all over. The backing was the icing on the cake. At least I would not need the runaway truck ramp backing up. All kidding aside I almost lost it. I feel I'm a pretty good driver. Been over Donners with chains on. That was a close one. Had to push the clutch to regain control. At that point I was doing 30 on a 20mph truck hill with 4" of slushy icy snow with no tracks on it. Was using engine to hold truck back and it went on me. With the 53' I use the brakes because it has ABS that work great. I TAKE BACK ALL POSTINGS ON THIS THREAD!! If you pull a 28' on bad roads you are better than me....

Do I get a star card for not crashing???

Do I get a star card for not crashing???
Online Star Card awarded to jakebrake12:
For not crashing his pup and preventing a preventable accident.
starcardmj0.png

Thanks for saving ICP dollars!.....Wait a minute! This year is based on profit!?:chairshot:

That should be Safety, Integrity, Commitment, Excellence, and Icy conditions.

It's somewhat in there you just can't see it.
Safety Integrity Commitment Excellence.
It's hidden like your Personnel Policy and Procedures online manual.

990,000 miles!!! I was wondering where they sent our old trucks. I've never seen a truck with over 400K.

Now you're really killin me.. 432-1254 has 52,000 on it. That must have been your old truck. I usually drive 432-9311 but someone swiped it friday. It used to sit for a week till I adopted it(needed miles). Now it has the best box at the barn, new drive tires, and you could eat your lunch off the floor.. All of a sudden all the city dsr's want it.... I start later than many junior guys. I'm not a big SENIORITY guy but that won't happen again. I would not have went down trk219 sideways with old faithfull.... Well I might have but no one would have known..:funky::funky:

Now you're really killin me.. 432-1254 has 52,000 on it. That must have been your old truck. I usually drive 432-9311 but someone swiped it friday. It used to sit for a week till I adopted it(needed miles). Now it has the best box at the barn, new drive tires, and you could eat your lunch off the floor.. All of a sudden all the city dsr's want it.... I start later than many junior guys. I'm not a big SENIORITY guy but that won't happen again. I would not have went down trk219 sideways with old faithfull.... Well I might have but no one would have known..:funky::funky:
I thought Conway sold all of the old trucks. Those trucks that your talking about, '01 and '99 are for the bottom feeders at our yard. We have all '04 thru '06 trucks. This is the first year that we haven't gotten new trucks. Where are all of the new trucks?

New trucks?? BRAND NEW TRUCKS?? LTA has NEVER seen a brand new straight off the lot truck! At least 2 years old and up. I think they are the boneyard of Con-Way.

I thought Conway sold all of the old trucks. Those trucks that your talking about, '01 and '99 are for the bottom feeders at our yard. We have all '04 thru '06 trucks. This is the first year that we haven't gotten new trucks. Where are all of the new trucks?

Ouch.. XSN has 35ish trucks. 4 or 5 06's, 5 or 6 04's 20 01's(most over 975k) 2 2000's, both replacements for 2001 trucks, and 2 99's.. I took one because I run 280 miles in the city. Everything works on my air start 99 so I'll keep it. We have at least 10 trucks over 1 million. We do have 3 new volvo's though.. 06's I think..