FedEx Freight | Raise

There are plenty of us younger drivers that do care and talk about it regularly cause when it comes down to it we really dont know what we are supposed to do long term for an income. We are a minority though, look at the age of most of the industry, it's a non issue for most of the drivers we have, they will be retired or close to it by the time automation really starts to take over. Then there's the one that are in our 30s or younger, what do you do? Is there a right answer for the younger generations. Automation is already taking over retail and manufacturing with robots, kiosks and self check outs. Everyone cant be programmers or what ever the future economy needs. I think long term if automation really takes over, unemployment will be the norm. I see this Industry actually being safer than most. There is actually more obstacles to implementing automation because we do not work in a controlled setting. Another plus is the ever increasing driver shortage, most of my generation and younger isn't interested in driving. I can see there being a real issue within the next 10 years as people leave the industry faster than automation. I'm hoping if that happens I'll finally get that raise I want and bank before I'm replaced.

I can see driverless trucks being a problem for road drivers in the future. I don’t see it coming for a while though. But I can’t see a robot taking over a city drivers job.

I can see driverless trucks being a problem for road drivers in the future. I don’t see it coming for a while though. But I can’t see a robot taking over a city drivers job.
I was of the same mindset saying it wouldn’t happen for a long time. But then I started to actually research it and listening to interviews of people in that field who are developing these things and we are much much close then you think. I’ll just point out 3 quick things tat made me open my eyes. Currently in Arizona UPS has already been quietly running and testing self driving trucks. Also a google backed company has trucks currently running 24-7 trucks and is expanding to 200 trucks next year. As of right now there is a driver sitting inside these trucks but the all these CEO’s of different companies say they will get to a point where no driver is needed. And my third thing is that these companies openly say truck highway routes between Nevada and Tennessee will be automated in less then 10 years. Again nothing is ever set in stone but it’s much much closer then we all think it is. This is a quick 5 minute video of that company
it shows the truck actually maneuvering, making turns etc

Last edited:
I was of the same mindset saying it wouldn’t happen for a long time. But then I started to actually research it and listening to interviews of people in that field who are developing these things and we are much much close then you think. I’ll just point out 3 quick things tat made me open my eyes. Currently in Arizona UPS has already been quietly running and testing self driving trucks. Also a google backed company has trucks currently running 24-7 trucks and is expanding to 200 trucks next year. As of right now there is a driver sitting inside these trucks but the all these CEO’s of different companies say they will get to a point where no driver is needed. And my third thing is that these companies openly say truck highway routes between Nevada and Tennessee will be automated in less then 10 years. Again nothing is ever set in stone but it’s much much closer then we all think it is. This is a quick 5 minute video of that company
it shows the truck actually maneuvering, making turns etc
Good info. Interesting.

Also, worth mentioning... This from our own John Smith: https://www.ttnews.com/articles/ceo-john-smith-steers-fedex-freight-toward-e-commerce-growth

"As you can imagine, our drivers are very interested in this. I ask them two questions. Number one, how long has it been since we’ve been able to take off and land airplanes without a pilot? Over 30 years. Have you ever been on an airplane without a pilot? I have yet to meet someone that has gotten on an airplane without a pilot. So, do you think you’ll ever be driving down an interstate going 70 miles an hour and a truck passes you without a driver?"

Fair point, I think, as it applies to our lifetime. Taking it a step further, even TRAINS still have drivers/conductors. They would certainly be easier to eliminate, since they are "on rails". No?

Now, what is never addressed. What will driver/monitors be paid to ride along? We can be pretty certain it will eventually be less than real (hands on) drivers. But, this next Gen will likely love it.

Good info. Interesting.

Also, worth mentioning... This from our own John Smith: https://www.ttnews.com/articles/ceo-john-smith-steers-fedex-freight-toward-e-commerce-growth

"As you can imagine, our drivers are very interested in this. I ask them two questions. Number one, how long has it been since we’ve been able to take off and land airplanes without a pilot? Over 30 years. Have you ever been on an airplane without a pilot? I have yet to meet someone that has gotten on an airplane without a pilot. So, do you think you’ll ever be driving down an interstate going 70 miles an hour and a truck passes you without a driver?"

Fair point, I think, as it applies to our lifetime. Taking it a step further, even TRAINS still have drivers/conductors. They would certainly be easier to eliminate, since they are "on rails". No?

Now, what is never addressed. What will driver/monitors be paid to ride along? We can be pretty certain it will eventually be less than real (hands on) drivers. But, this next Gen will likely love it.

I’ve heard this time and time again. I wonder who coined this typically deceptive, misleading assurance of our future roles?

Nobody has ever said there WILL be robot nannies, it’s all hyperbole. These aren’t trains or planes.

I find it nauseating when the folks spearheading the agenda act like eliminating 100k/year jobs would be doing us a favor! Because - who the heck would want to drive a truck?

I’ve heard this time and time again. I wonder who coined this typically deceptive, misleading assurance of our future roles?

Nobody has ever said there WILL be robot nannies, it’s all hyperbole. These aren’t trains or planes.

I find it nauseating when the folks spearheading the agenda act like eliminating 100k/year jobs would be doing us a favor! Because - who the heck would want to drive a truck?
If things truly go as automated as planned, the bigger question is who would like to hack a truck? Imagine the limited possibilities for tech savvy people wanting to do harm. Credit cards, major companies, governments, and just about anything computer based gets hacked at some point.

Who exactly is spearheading this agenda? Because as far as I can tell there is almost no one talking about this agenda your saying is being spearheaded. I wonder what agenda was being spewed because as far as I can tell “robots” took over the car industry which collapse Detroit. Or the “robots” currently taking over the agricultural industry. Or even the coal industry who has been slowly being taken over by these non existing robots you don’t think are capable of anything.

The only people talking about this are the people working in that technology. They are actually being honest about what this technology is able to do. There isn’t any agenda being thrown around.

If things truly go as automated as planned, the bigger question is who would like to hack a truck? Imagine the limited possibilities for tech savvy people wanting to do harm. Credit cards, major companies, governments, and just about anything computer based gets hacked at some point.

Yes they get hacked. Internet has been around for 20+ years with people having the ability to hack anything. Hackers are in the business of making money. We have never seen any harm being done physically because of hackers. If hackers really wanted to harm people don’t you think a nuclear station would be a top priority for them? Or maybe a government drone with missiles on it? Or A commercial airliner? Why hasn’t anyone hacked a flight in mid air? Not trying to start an argument but almost anything and everything is hackable now, if they wanted to harm people they could and would be doing it already.

Who exactly is spearheading this agenda? Because as far as I can tell there is almost no one talking about this agenda your saying is being spearheaded. I wonder what agenda was being spewed because as far as I can tell “robots” took over the car industry which collapse Detroit. Or the “robots” currently taking over the agricultural industry. Or even the coal industry who has been slowly being taken over by these non existing robots you don’t think are capable of anything.

The only people talking about this are the people working in that technology. They are actually being honest about what this technology is able to do. There isn’t any agenda being thrown around.
Also these 100k jobs aren’t 100k jobs...the average truck yearly wage is more like 50k-75k area. These companies see how hard it is to convince people to take a job where you are rarely home. People would rather file for disability and collect 30-40k a year for free instead of working driving around a truck for weeks. We work for Fedex one of the high paying truck companies who pays well and get to go home everyday.thats not the norm around the country.

Yes they get hacked. Internet has been around for 20+ years with people having the ability to hack anything. Hackers are in the business of making money. We have never seen any harm being done physically because of hackers. If hackers really wanted to harm people don’t you think a nuclear station would be a top priority for them? Or maybe a government drone with missiles on it? Or A commercial airliner? Why hasn’t anyone hacked a flight in mid air? Not trying to start an argument but almost anything and everything is hackable now, if they wanted to harm people they could and would be doing it already.

Only on truckingboards can a topic go from raises to hackers lol.

The idea isn't hacking to harm, it's hacking to steal. Like you said, they're in it for money. Trucks transport merchandise from point A to Point B. More often than not, very expensive valuable merchandise. What's to stop someone from hacking a truck and redirecting it for theft. It's easier to steal and unload a truck than it is a plane. So it's not worth it to hack a plane. I'd imagine the insurance cost of transporting that merchandise will skyrocket after the first incident.

Only on truckingboards can a topic go from raises to hackers lol.

The idea isn't hacking to harm, it's hacking to steal. Like you said, they're in it for money. Trucks transport merchandise from point A to Point B. More often than not, very expensive valuable merchandise. What's to stop someone from hacking a truck and redirecting it for theft. It's easier to steal and unload a truck than it is a plane. So it's not worth it to hack a plane. I'd imagine the insurance cost of transporting that merchandise will skyrocket after the first incident.
Fair enough I misunderstood the hacking part. There are always going to new issues arise with new innovations but we always adapt to it and it never really stops it from advancing. Like you said target, credit cards, Uber etc get hacked..has it stopped them from doing business or even a better question has it stopped is from using their services or shopping there with your credit card? I think most people don’t even care about it.

Nickjr:

This public document is from the Secretary of Transportation. I’d click the link and read the document. It was also distributed in glossy magazine form.

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicle 3.0

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicle 3.0, October 4, 2018, Washington, DC

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicles 3.0 (AV 3.0) builds upon Automated Driving Systems 2.0: A Vision for Safety (ADS 2.0). AV 3.0 expands the scope to all surface on-road transportation systems, and was developed through the input from a diverse set of stakeholder engagements, throughout the Nation. AV 3.0 is structured around three key areas:

1. Advancing multi-modal safety,
  2. Reducing policy uncertainty, and
  3. Outlining a process for working with U.S. DOT

https://www.transportation.gov/av/3

I know it’s much better to attack what you don’t know or understand than it is to face the future, but spend some time reading the latest plans from the US government. It’s pretty enlightening.

Maybe read some of the annual world reports on this topic coming from Davos as well. World leaders are squabbling over who is going to pay to retrain the displaced workforce. Government or companies?

Is it a year away? Probably not, but don’t be naive.

Last edited:
Fair enough I misunderstood the hacking part. There are always going to new issues arise with new innovations but we always adapt to it and it never really stops it from advancing. Like you said target, credit cards, Uber etc get hacked..has it stopped them from doing business or even a better question has it stopped is from using their services or shopping there with your credit card? I think most people don’t even care about it.

There are certain places i won't use my card, like restaurants and gas stations. In the event my account was subjected to fraud, chances are the charge would be reversed. And they're usually charges of 100 dollars or less to make it "not worth the time to investigate".

It's different with actual merchandise. It's like shoplifting on a large scale. Have you gotten to a customer that wants to open and examine everything before they sign for it? It's annoying, but they paid for it. Then the throw a huge fit because out of 100 boxes 1 is damaged. They needed all 100. Now tell them it's disappeared and it's going to be a while before we can replace the shipment. That's not going to go over well. I get annoyed when ground loses my chewy, I'd lose my mind if a company lost an entire trailer of merchandise.

Nickjr:

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicle 3.0

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicle 3.0, October 4, 2018, Washington, DC

Preparing for the Future of Transportation: Automated Vehicles 3.0 (AV 3.0) builds upon Automated Driving Systems 2.0: A Vision for Safety (ADS 2.0). AV 3.0 expands the scope to all surface on-road transportation systems, and was developed through the input from a diverse set of stakeholder engagements, throughout the Nation. AV 3.0 is structured around three key areas:

1. Advancing multi-modal safety,
  2. Reducing policy uncertainty, and
  3. Outlining a process for working with U.S. DOT

https://www.transportation.gov/av/3

I know it’s much better to attack what you don’t know or understand than it is to face the future, but spend some time reading the latest plans from the US government. It’s pretty enlightening.

Maybe read some of the annual world reports on this topic coming from Davos as well. World leaders are squabbling over who is going to pay to retrain the displaced workforce. Government or companies?

Is it a year away? Probably not, but don’t be naive.
Bro I’m on your side lol im in agreement that this is coming and sooner then most People think.

There are certain places i won't use my card, like restaurants and gas stations. In the event my account was subjected to fraud, chances are the charge would be reversed. And they're usually charges of 100 dollars or less to make it "not worth the time to investigate".

It's different with actual merchandise. It's like shoplifting on a large scale. Have you gotten to a customer that wants to open and examine everything before they sign for it? It's annoying, but they paid for it. Then the throw a huge fit because out of 100 boxes 1 is damaged. They needed all 100. Now tell them it's disappeared and it's going to be a while before we can replace the shipment. That's not going to go over well. I get annoyed when ground loses my chewy, I'd lose my mind if a company lost an entire trailer of merchandise.

I’m sure a customer would be very upset lol but here’s the thing we don’t realize is that the amount of money companies save from all the costs related to a full time worker will be put into new securities for this new technology. New security jobs will be created that are dedicated to monitoring and keeping freight safe. Problem is I’m too dumb to learn anything new so I’m screwed

I’m sure a customer would be very upset lol but here’s the thing we don’t realize is that the amount of money companies save from all the costs related to a full time worker will be put into new securities for this new technology. New security jobs will be created that are dedicated to monitoring and keeping freight safe. Problem is I’m too dumb to learn anything new so I’m screwed

Is hacking an option? I'm asking for a friend.

So you’re saying that government, carriers and manufacturers are or are not working together to automate the trucking industry?

If they are, that’s an AGENDA!

So you’re saying that government, carriers and manufacturers are or are not working together to automate the trucking industry?

If they are, that’s an AGENDA!
I know Fedex had a member in the commission overseeing this automation lawmaking stuff. I believe everyone is working together to make this happen.

When I say there’s no agenda I mean it in the way that not many in our government or Fortune 500 companies in the vehicle automation are talking about it publicly. We get comments like the one out CEO made.

If the competition excites you - why are you not heading their way?
I hate it people who say "if you don't like go somewhere else". Let me tell you and all of the other people who say that something. I like many other drivers have been around here for a long time (25 plus years). We have earned the right to express our opinions about raises, benefits or anything else we want to talk about.We have worked our butts off, spent countless hours away from home to help this company become what it is today. We can say what we want and if you don't like it find another place where you and the rest of your spineless buddies can talk about how great this slap in the face raise is. Starting January 1 I'll be bringing home less money than I make now. How is that a good raise? my health insurance is going up but my benefits are coming down, the great pension that I'll receive when I retired won't be so great because I haven't gotten a 2% raise in 5 years. I'm not going anywhere, Im staying right here and if I won't to complain I will....you leave.

I know Fedex had a member in the commission overseeing this automation lawmaking stuff. I believe everyone is working together to make this happen.

When I say there’s no agenda I mean it in the way that not many in our government or Fortune 500 companies in the vehicle automation are talking about it publicly. We get comments like the one out CEO made.

Yes, it’s takes reading between the lines.

I like to read Transport Topics @ ttnews.com.

For those that don’t know, it’s the propaganda rag of the ATA - the trucking industry’s personal lobbyist to the government.

They have a great section on autonomy and it’s written for their members and special interests, so the “agenda” is a little more transparent if you know where to look.