FedEx Freight | Rumors

100 yrds - try 100 feet but more like within 10 feet

Military grade GPS is dead on spot accurate.
Civilian grade GPS is accurate to within 9 feet.
However, whether I use GPS or Loran (another global positioning device) on my boat,
my readouts always put me back on the same exact spots. Actually, the loran seems more accurate.

I can't believe how anybody can think that they have nothing better to do than follow us all day by either GPS or to listen in on our conversation! How many trucks do we have? How many people will it take to accomplish this task. Sure we have a 10% unemployment rate, and it will take all of them. I suppose it you were involved in a serious wreck, or you were reported driving like a jacka$$ or something else along those lines, you may be the center of attention for a bit, but I really think they have better things to do, like getting this company moving in the right direction in this economy and securing more freight, and taking care of the customers we now have, at least those that are still here. But at least this thread is very entertaining to read. :shift:

They don't have to hire anybody extra to keep tabs on you. With the GPS, or any other device they want to put in the trucks, tied into a central computer program, they can pull up information on anyone, at any time, provided it is saved into a memory backup. At Roadway, our information was usually held for 7 days before it was automatically dumped. What usually happened at my terminal was that every day, 5-10 driver reports were pulled by the driver supervisor to review. If anything looked funky, you were called into his office.

Actually the govt controls the gps satellites and they change how accurate they are from time to time

I think the marine gps' divide the world in to 4ft square blocks, thats probably why it seems exact

"If anything looked funky, you were called into his office."

Well, ours must not be working, or I would be called in every week or so.:biglaugh::shift:

Jeff,

all I know is most civilian use devices state within 9 feet. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that is the distance usually advertised either on a box or in the manuals. As far as the government changing the accuracy from time to time....it wouldn't surprise me.

On the water, I mentioned I get better accuracy with the Loaran which measures TDs....(Time differential signals) from land based antennas. It's these readings which get me on the same spot over and over again. With the GPS, there is some variation, however slight it might be.

Jeff,

all I know is most civilian use devices state within 9 feet. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but that is the distance usually advertised either on a box or in the manuals. As far as the government changing the accuracy from time to time....it wouldn't surprise me.

On the water, I mentioned I get better accuracy with the Loaran which measures TDs....(Time differential signals) from land based antennas. It's these readings which get me on the same spot over and over again. With the GPS, there is some variation, however slight it might be.

I remember back in the early 90's we went out on a deep sea fishing trip and at that time the captain said it divided the earth into 50 ft blocks.... so they have gotten more accurate over the years....

animo you are 100%. That is the system used to develop subfoot accuracy without extremely expensive ground based units. However, on the fly most units over $5K will give sub meter accuracy with an allowance for subfoot post processing using the method you describe. On the fly a wifi, bluetooth or cellular signal with direct connection to the ground based location closest to you serves to auto correct the signal however there can be a few seconds of delay in even the pricier units.

talked to a con way friend today and he was told they were getting rid of the p trans. everything was going on there own. he said the customers heard what they were doing and said we pay you not them and if they keep it up they would get some one else to haul it. how long do you think we will keep doing it? I think like its been said before wait till the first snow and all the p trans are late. hell they can't make it on time now wtf.

he said the customers heard what they were doing and said we pay you not them and if they keep it up they would get some one else to haul it. how long do you think we will keep doing it?
There are some who can afford to say things like "you move it or I'll find someone who will". In large part however, the customer is alot like FedEx, whatever and however gets it moved for the least amount of $$$ wins. Point A to Point B philosophy. Someday maybe the wheel will figure out how to get National involved more.

talked to a con way friend today and he was told they were getting rid of the p trans. everything was going on there own. he said the customers heard what they were doing and said we pay you not them and if they keep it up they would get some one else to haul it. how long do you think we will keep doing it? I think like its been said before wait till the first snow and all the p trans are late. hell they can't make it on time now wtf.

Very true my friend....this freight should be on our equipment..period!

Their just changing the name from purchase transportation...to something like substandard transportation

Don't forget they own their P.T. it's called Conway truckload, used to be called C.F.I. remember we were using them also back then....

Very true my friend....this freight should be on our equipment..period!

It was cool to see that pt driver come into the terminal on that long 160 mile run to deliver the freight then ask the guy working the dockstand "where 96 door is":biglaugh:

good to meet you the other nite hooty

This thread is titled "rumors" and rightfully so, Conway is still using Purchase trailers. Our dock is loaded with them all day and night. And only about half are CFI/Conway Truckload. Freight companies use them to eliminate empty miles. It makes sense.