Reddaway | Sacramento Decertify?

top of the board?

You have 20 years in at REDDAWAY ? Then you have to be on top of the board at your terminal ! its only been open that long !So with ALL that time how is it your on the EXTRA BOARD ?? Something doesent add up !
I havent been a line driver the whole time,it is possible that I transfered to fontana, back in the old bestway days too, but I am way up on the board, besides I bid to be on the extra board, when I get tired of that, I will do a willows, or turns, or whatever> I have done all our runs. so do things make more sense( I mean add up) now?:1036316054:

See now that is one of my points and why I myself hate the 401K. While I do have one I don't like it being the only option. I wouldn't count on this government getting anything under control. Its been going downhill for years and its going to take alot of years for it to even begin to take an upward turn. Its not just the oil either. Everything has gone up beyond belief and its just the beginning. If you made 70,000.00 last year you were considered well off. This year its more like your making 40,000.00. So while everyone has a choice and I know you like your 401K and even if you get 800,000.00 how long do you really think that is going to last. With the prices of everything going up and never down its not going to last very long. So if you need 70,000.00 every year to live. Remember your going to need health coverage and living expenses covered. So your money is going to last you about 11 years. Not counting indirect and stuff so I'll make it 13 years. That also doesn't count if you get a catastrophic illness. I know people that have a great retirement and health ins and got cancer. The cancer is cured and the savings, 401K, and most of the income is gone. And thats with health ins. Do you know that there is a pill that most women have to take after cancer for five years. Do you know that ins. companies don't cover it? Its $500 a month. That will put a huge dent in any retirement. And thats just one pill. SO my point all along is if I can have a healthy 401K and a pension wouldn't that be better than just one of either. $800,000.00 sounds like alot of money but it isn't. If you work for Reddaway thats about 10-11 years pay. I myself Hope to live alot longer than that after retirement. I'm not knocking you wanting a 401K and its an ok investment but I would much rather have all my bases covered. The union dues are nothing compared to some of the costs for uncovered health items. And if you are like me and go for the non conventional way to heal sickness that actually works and heals and not just another pill to take away symptoms then your $800,000.00 won't go far at all if cancer or another devastating illness hits you. I just want to look at the big picture and the worst case scenario and I still without question want both instead of just one.
..good points. a couple of other points you left out though. 800k is a good amount but not a mega lot.Now if I got 800k and I get a 10% return, Now I 880k,then the next year I got 968k. you with me? now lets say I retire with no bills except the regulars, like lights, phone, food ,gas, taxes,just the everyday stuff, I will need only about 30-40K a year,So really I can live off my earnings and never touch my principle.Now the health issue, yes thats something to consider, but cancer, heart problems, stroke, all that will break you, either way. But with a healthy cash account I will be able to pay for it and get discounted rates if I show them the cash.TAXES... If i earn 10% but only take out say 30k yearly my tax rate will be very low.and if I get my SSA, thats another 20k so really I only need to tap 10-15k out of the 401k and I could have no income taxes.and my 401k will just grow. I understand some people like the security of the pension and thats good too, but really , are you gonna fund your 401k too, to have both? Its very eazy to say I got a pension so I dont got to save money. but I cant go out like that. As for the comet "a financial adviser told you". I know how to do math, I know how to my taxes, and I understand the stock market, so the only person I can trust with my money is me. I like the 401, I like the ROTH . and I like knowing that it is MY money. 10-4

..good points. a couple of other points you left out though. 800k is a good amount but not a mega lot.Now if I got 800k and I get a 10% return, Now I 880k,then the next year I got 968k. you with me? now lets say I retire with no bills except the regulars, like lights, phone, food ,gas, taxes,just the everyday stuff, I will need only about 30-40K a year,So really I can live off my earnings and never touch my principle.Now the health issue, yes thats something to consider, but cancer, heart problems, stroke, all that will break you, either way. But with a healthy cash account I will be able to pay for it and get discounted rates if I show them the cash.TAXES... If i earn 10% but only take out say 30k yearly my tax rate will be very low.and if I get my SSA, thats another 20k so really I only need to tap 10-15k out of the 401k and I could have no income taxes.and my 401k will just grow. I understand some people like the security of the pension and thats good too, but really , are you gonna fund your 401k too, to have both? Its very eazy to say I got a pension so I dont got to save money. but I cant go out like that. As for the comet "a financial adviser told you". I know how to do math, I know how to my taxes, and I understand the stock market, so the only person I can trust with my money is me. I like the 401, I like the ROTH . and I like knowing that it is MY money. 10-4

Ok I'll give you your interest and gains. More taxes though. The more you make the more they take.

I have to correct you on one thing. While health issues are something to consider, cancer, stroke, and a heart attack doesn't always break you and as bad as this may sound you might live through it to get it again. Cancer is my main concern. Heres a scary report.

ACS :: Costs of Cancer

The problem with cancer is that most of the drugs are not covered by most ins. The missed work for chemo is not covered by any ins. As the study suggests most people go through their savings (401K,bank,and others) just to survive the cancer costs. So would;t it be better to have 401K, Roth, and a pension? Why not use all the resources you can. Not to mention if your one of the lucky ones that doesn't get a serious illness then thats all the better. The 401K may last you until you die. It may not. The pension on the other hand is paid until you die and, if you sign up, your wife gets a portion of the pension after you die. So I just don't understand why you would think more is not better.

You really haven't given me a good reason not to want a pension and 401K? I on the other hand have given you several. Just something to think about. Health care is costing more and more and the companies out there are not going to continue to foot the bill with the economy going the way it is. The company match sounds good but it too may go away. So why not have the benefit of having a many retirements instead of relying on one. The way you have it now you are putting your retirement in the hands of the company. Not yours. That doesn't sound like very good advice. You have all your eggs in one basket and if the basket crashes so does your savings. Of course I'm also speaking in general not just about you and what you have.

You also can't rely on having all your bills paid off. Too much can happen in a a short period of time. I hate to bring up cancer again but in 40= years I have never known anyone with cancer. In the last year I now know of 6. Its has really put a hurting on their finances and they have ins, 401K, savings and some have a pension. The ones with the pension are definitely better off. They can use the extra money during this time.

So, just something to think about. Always look way into the future when making decisions.

I just read that YRCW was gonna cut bene's for all non-union Employees. Give me a bit and I'll post where I saw it. Don't jump all over me and call me names. I'm just telling all of you what I read.

How much do you end up with when the company takes away their contributions.:ShakeHandsNah:..YOU MAY AS WELL BE STUFFING YOUR MATTRESS :rofl2:

It's spelled "Their" not there.

Its actually spelled "They're" when used that way. Short for "They are". If you're going to correct members posts you should be correct in your corrections. Remember Big R is always watching and we come by from time to time just to say hello, so here goes, hello. :smilie_132:

Its actually spelled "They're" when used that way. Short for "They are". If you're going to correct members posts you should be correct in your corrections. Remember Big R is always watching and we come by from time to time just to say hello, so here goes, hello. :smilie_132:

he is probably the most incorrect person on the face of the planet, in every way shape and form:pirate2:

i drive linehaul for ABF. great company, no major complaints. but your remark, on being amazed that people would rather have a 401k rather than a pension. well, i'm in the minority i guess, but i would rather have a 401k with ABF. i would like to see it as a choice. when you get hired on, you would have a choice to join the pension plan, or go with the 401k with a company match, you know either or type deal. mathematically your always better with a 401k, even if there is now company match. i don't mind mind investing my own money for a better retirement. plus even if the company matches, the company cost the company less.
with that said, i do have a personal 401k on the side. so i look at the pension as a bonus. but most drivers solely depend on the pension for there only retirement, and thats just sad

i drive linehaul for ABF. great company, no major complaints. but your remark, on being amazed that people would rather have a 401k rather than a pension. well, i'm in the minority i guess, but i would rather have a 401k with ABF. i would like to see it as a choice. when you get hired on, you would have a choice to join the pension plan, or go with the 401k with a company match, you know either or type deal. mathematically your always better with a 401k, even if there is now company match. i don't mind mind investing my own money for a better retirement. plus even if the company matches, the company cost the company less.
with that said, i do have a personal 401k on the side. so i look at the pension as a bonus. but most drivers solely depend on the pension for there only retirement, and thats just sad

I think you might have missed my whole point. I would rather have a pension AND a 401K. With the union you get both. With the company you get one. Also the company can freeze it, stop their match, and or discontinue it at any time they feel the need. They can't mess with the pension. Its there and does not go away. I don't mind investing my own money myself either but why not have more instead of just one is all I'm really saying. You don't have to put any money into the pension. There are many threads on here on the figures. The 401k is a good retirement tool but a pension is more secure and like I said the company can't change their mind on it. Thats pretty much my point. 2 is always better than 1. :smilie_132:

Sactown, just make sure you have more people brainwashed then they do:1036316054:
I drive linehaul for ABF. great company, no major complaints. but your remark, on being amazed that people would rather have a 401k rather than a pension. well, i'm in the minority I guess, but i would rather have a 401k with ABF. i would like to see it as a choice. when you get hired on, you would have a choice to join the pension plan, or go with the 401k with a company match, you know either or type deal. Mathematically your always better with a 401k, even if there is now a company match. I don't mind investing my own money for a better retirement. plus even if the company matches, the company cost the company less.with that said, I do have a personal 401k on the side. so i look at the pension as a bonus. but most drivers solely depend on the pension for their only retirement, and thats just sad.

why would you want to depend on the teamsters AFTER u retire? you should bulid your own money and have your own retirement acount.. I got 100,000 dollars that is alreddy MY money in a 401k.. and reddaway puts 5.5 % into it every yr... if i need 20 k when Im 65 to by a car i just get the money and buy it... what will you do ?:borrow agaist a monthly check. yea thats smart , and pay intrest too:hysterical:if a pension is ur security blanket it must be real dirty from draging it around all your life charlie brown:biglaugh:
I drive linehaul for ABF. great company, no major complaints. but your remark, on being amazed that people would rather have a 401k rather than a pension. well, i'm in the minority I guess, but i would rather have a 401k with ABF. i would like to see it as a choice. when you get hired on, you would have a choice to join the pension plan, or go with the 401k with a company match, you know either or type deal. Mathematically your always better with a 401k, even if there is now a company match. I don't mind investing my own money for a better retirement. plus even if the company matches, the company cost the company less.with that said, I do have a personal 401k on the side. so i look at the pension as a bonus. but most drivers solely depend on the pension for their only retirement, and thats just sad.