Yellow | Some Jimmies for you experienced hands

Are you sure they were not U models?
I never saw any Macks in 90, I ran a Jax bid.
The 26 series were COE Freightliners with Jiffs.
The last tractors I remember were 100 used ABF Volvos, I don't recall the series numbers.
Weren’t those them special spec trucks that had only a rear view mirror?

Should've pointed out, mine was an 8v92TT, not a 71. An 8v71 normally, is a 318. An 8v71T was a 350.

The advantage a Detroit had over Cummins was overhaul cost, lighter weight, and ability to start on cold weather. If it would turn over, it would start. Not so a Cummins or a Cat. Of course, yes, they left an oil trail....
Toward the end of the road for two stroke 92 series Detroits an aftercooler with engine coolant flowing through was in the block under the blower. They were designated TTA, that denoted turbocharged & after cooled.
Detroit parts costs less than Cummins & especially Bullldozer engines. Several companies manufactured Cummins & Detroit parts. If you wanted to buy parts for a bulldozer engine you had to go to the Cat House. Even when you bought cylinder kits, the core charge on the old parts was more than the price of the new parts. Of course everybody returned the old parts for a refund. That was Cat's way of ensuring nobody would rebuild their old parts.

Last edited:
Are you sure they were not U models?
I never saw any Macks in 90, I ran a Jax bid.
The 26 series were COE Freightliners with Jiffs.
The last tractors I remember were 100 used ABF Volvos, I don't recall the series numbers.
Those Volvos were built in 86. They had 10 speeds & Cummins 290 power. As I remember ABF was on a three year trade cycle at the time.

Last edited:
We had some 8V71s run a million miles.
They ran 55 or some had 60 injectors.
I never cared for those oil leakers, give me a Cummins any day.
I think these were probably close to 290hp
I never saw a two stroke Detroit run a million miles. They usually broke compression rings before then. The lower end rarely gave a problem. I saw some run low on oil & the bottom end was still good with only light bearing scuffing. However when a two stroke Detroit ran low on oil the left side liners would scuff. Anytime a Detroit was taken to a dealer for warranty for low compression & the left side liners were scuffed Detroit would not give warranty.
For many years the 92 series had trouble with coolant in the crankcase due to liner O-rings getting brittle & leaking. Detroit changed the material in the liner seals at least two times to stop the deterioration. As I remember the charcoal gray engines at the last of production finally had liner seal material that would last.

I never saw a two stroke Detroit run a million miles. They usually broke compression rings before then. The lower end rarely gave a problem. I saw some run low on oil & the bottom end was still good with only light bearing scuffing. However when a two stroke Detroit ran low on oil the left side liners would scuff. Anytime a Detroit was taken to a dealer for warranty for low compression & the left side liners were scuffed Detroit would not give warranty.
For many years the 92 series had trouble with coolant in the crankcase due to liner O-rings getting brittle & leaking. Detroit changed the material in the liner seals at least two times to stop the deterioration. As I remember the charcoal gray engines at the last of production finally had liner seal material that would last.
But the blocks still rotted out around o ring groove...........................

Did a lot of one side inframes back in the day on those 6v's.

I should have said (hearsay) shop said we had several that ran a million,

Those Volvos were built in 86. They had 10 speeds & Cummins 290 power. As I remember ABF was on a three year trade cycle at the time.
PIE changed wheels to 11-24.5s to increase speed
finally raised rpm before anyone would drive them.
I never drove but a couple.
As for the transmission, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp, I drove a Transcon Freightliner halfway to Jax before I realized it was a 10 spd not 9.

As for the transmission, I'm not the brightest bulb in the lamp, I drove a Transcon Freightliner halfway to Jax before I realized it was a 10 spd not 9.
Those Volvos had a hard shifting transmission. They finally got loosened up after about two years on the road. They shifted like there were two poppet springs in each hole in the transmission top.
ABF bought Volvos & Internationals that same year both with Cummins power. For some reason the engines in the Volvos had a problem with the cam bearings turning in the block.

Carolina bought a fleet of Louisville Fords from ABF a while before the buyout. They also changed the drive tires to 11-24.5 to up the road speed. They came back home after the buyout but were quickly traded. The red paint had peeled on some to show the original green.

If you recall the old NH Cummins o rings would cook if it ran too hot.
We ran the Perry water filters with the sacrificial plate to keep the liners from rotting.

Those Volvos had a hard shifting transmission. They finally got loosened up after about two years on the road. They shifted like there were two poppet springs in each hole in the transmission top.
ABF bought Volvos & Internationals that same year both with Cummins power. For some reason the engines in the Volvos had a problem with the cam bearings turning in the block.
I don't think PIE stayed in business long enough to have many problems with them.

If you recall the old NH Cummins o rings would cook if it ran too hot.
We ran the Perry water filters with the sacrificial plate to keep the liners from rotting.
If Cummins were ran without a coolant treatment the liners would develop holes which was called 'Cavitation' due to 'Electrolysis'. Various water treatment filters were used over the years but when Nalcool was developed it all but stopped cooling system corrosion. Later, extended life coolant solved the problem. However if did need to be 'Recharged' with a few pints of additive after two or three years.

If Cummins were ran without a coolant treatment the liners would develop holes which was called 'Cavitation' due to 'Electrolysis'. Various water treatment filters were used over the years but when Nalcool was developed it all but stopped cooling system corrosion. Later, extended life coolant solved the problem. However if did need to be 'Recharged' with a few pints of additive after two or three years.
That was probably after my working years.