Are you in favor of these?

• Yes

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Hell no

Votes: 35 61.4%

• Total voters
:tr10driving03: We are professionals with important endorsements and should act like it . I believe speed limiters leave us helpless and puts us in dangerous situations .
If we get speed limiters the 4wheelers need to have to same limit, its dangerous as hell having a speed variance of 15+ mph. If its so unsafe to travel highway speeds and oil is such a problem maybe the national 55 mph speed limit needs to be reinstated.

C'mon guys. We've all seen them. You know the ones like the people who will jump in a truck restricted lane and drive 75 mph. Or the guy who weaves in and out of lanes and jumps off at the next exit. Or the guy who tailgates so hard you can't read the cars plate number in front of him and then proceeds to do all the stuff I mentioned first. Just this week we got a message on our handhelds telling us to stay out of the toll lanes coming south into Charlotte which are clearly marked no trucks. I've been doing this for 30 years and there has always been crazy ass truck drivers but this is something different.

The problem is too high a percentage of so called drivers who behave incredibly badly. I've always said "Don't end your shift on the news".
I once clobbered a Car near the Natl Cathedral on the 495 Loop just in time to be on the morning news in real time along with radio traffic reports saying 18 wheeler clobbered a car in such a such a spot etc.

Thats one reason I dont drive cabovers anymore. The cars get into the damnest of spots near that right steer. I clobbered three of them that way in my lifetime. no one hurt or killed but scared very badly when they are brought across the bumper and I hold them there sideways until stopped.

None of that in the conventional. And there was a grey GMC Jimmy with three kids in the back in Akron that almost lost their lives when they were stalled out in construction and no way to safely get away. And here I came on at 60 on a curve towards them and cars lined up on my left.

I still lose a few lives from the 9 that the good Lord gave me thinking about how close that situation came to be. Saint Bendix and ABS backed by Michelins were the key to saving 5 lives and my freedom in addition to the company not finding out that they were almost destroyed in court should I have killed them.

Never mind the five cars next to me. I needed that left lane right then. Or the Lawman who had to stand on his front end to keep from being decapitated by my trailer. Or or or.

Enough to keep me up at nightmares. And I was dumb enough to be a trucker. Nothing to it. The trucking school teacher was right. It does not matter as long you missed them by THIS MUCH *Squints between two fingers....*

What hurts me is that I missed them by "...This LITTLE..." and am grateful it was good as a mile.

Thank god I dont drive those rigs today, not with a thousand Nanny computers telling me when I can stop, go or sleep etc. Next it will be drunk and drug testing me before I turn the key some mornings.

Last edited:
C'mon guys. We've all seen them. You know the ones like the people who will jump in a truck restricted lane and drive 75 mph. Or the guy who weaves in and out of lanes and jumps off at the next exit. Or the guy who tailgates so hard you can't read the cars plate number in front of him and then proceeds to do all the stuff I mentioned first. Just this week we got a message on our handhelds telling us to stay out of the toll lanes coming south into Charlotte which are clearly marked no trucks. I've been doing this for 30 years and there has always been crazy ass truck drivers but this is something different.

It’s still called speeding. The ELD has nothing to do with it. It was like you said, 40 years ago when I started out here.

“The electronic logging-device mandate coincided with an increase in unsafe driving and speeding citations among truck drivers, and this likely caused an increase in accidents,” Balthrop said. “The stricter hours-of-service enforcement seems to have led more drivers to try to compress their routes into the time allotted.”

That's the operative part of the article. The problem isn't ELD's, it's so called drivers. Slow down!

“The electronic logging-device mandate coincided with an increase in unsafe driving and speeding citations among truck drivers, and this likely caused an increase in accidents,” Balthrop said. “The stricter hours-of-service enforcement seems to have led more drivers to try to compress their routes into the time allotted.”

That's the operative part of the article. The problem isn't ELD's, it's so called drivers. Slow down!

66DB4273-F948-45F0-A85E-1F2EE8B76C19.md.jpg

Or, companies have tried to compress drivers' days into the hours. Like the via I got a few nights ago. I'm hooking my set at a terminal 5 hours from home, and they want me to go 17ish miles out of route on my way back to pick up a trailer heading home.

I had 5:50 remaining on my drive clock and the via would put me through school traffic coming out on the two-lane in front of the via terminal. I told them everything would have to be perfect for me to make it. They said if I encountered traffic or whatever that might put me over my drive time, call dispatch and they'd route me straight home instead.

I managed to get it done with 12 minutes on my clock. No stopping to pee, stretch, or eat. I had a sandwich from my lunchbox while driving and carefully hydrated myself so as not to need a pee break unless I was at a yard, thus not burning on-duty/driving time.

They'll do it again unless laws change and they can no longer legally expect that kind of ragged-edge performance. I feel I was safe while doing the job -- or about as safe as one can be in those circumstances. But when there's no time cushion offered, it's easy to see how some drivers would drive in an unsafe manner to get the job done.

Or, companies have tried to compress drivers' days into the hours. Like the via I got a few nights ago. I'm hooking my set at a terminal 5 hours from home, and they want me to go 17ish miles out of route on my way back to pick up a trailer heading home.

I had 5:50 remaining on my drive clock and the via would put me through school traffic coming out on the two-lane in front of the via terminal. I told them everything would have to be perfect for me to make it. They said if I encountered traffic or whatever that might put me over my drive time, call dispatch and they'd route me straight home instead.

I managed to get it done with 12 minutes on my clock. No stopping to pee, stretch, or eat. I had a sandwich from my lunchbox while driving and carefully hydrated myself so as not to need a pee break unless I was at a yard, thus not burning on-duty/driving time.

They'll do it again unless laws change and they can no longer legally expect that kind of ragged-edge performance. I feel I was safe while doing the job -- or about as safe as one can be in those circumstances. But when there's no time cushion offered, it's easy to see how some drivers would drive in an unsafe manner to get the job done.
Damn.....what I would have done is after I explained it to them is said ok, because there is no sense in being in subordinate...then I would do a very thorough pretrip... when I left I would have driven about three miles an hour under for safety.....stopped in an hour and a half or two hours to take a crap......stopped in another two to wizz and eat my sandwich....then called them when I ran out of time telling them to come get me.....

We had a medical load of blood plasma out of Avenel FFE in NJ. We just settled onto US1 west (South which is about 40+ miles worth of red traffic lights to the interstate) and LA Dispatch beeped wife and I on satellite, we are 10 minutes late now are we going to make it to LA California on time?

3094 or so miles. 63 mph truck. Full tanks. And 10 minutes late. And getting later.

We skipped Memphis Fuel Stop. Fueled at Holbrook AZ with hardly anything in the tanks. Imagine if we actually ran out. Then we would REALLY be late. That skipping made up 20 minutes to the good.

What FFE does not know was that we did about 47 mph over 35 speed limit with occasional dips into 54 or so at yellows to maintain greens all the way down to the freeway. Thats pretty much 20 over.

We cooked our food on the move. When the spouse was finished her 11 hours and time to sleep she would spend two wide awake, tired and tending to both of our food and hydrate needs.

53 hours straight through.

Not doing that again. FFE can take their precious 10 minutes late and shove it.