TForce | The Unanswerable Question:

This question has STILL remained unanswered and i wonder why?

IF, you are doing niteliner and only go to one hub and come directly back to your terminal, why do you need two pups as opposed to a single van?
Cuz your boss is an idiot, and you probably come back with one and an mt,lol

Pups are a downfall & costly , had to be a democrat they came up with the idea of using pups !
Feeling Dumb Jim Carrey GIF

This question has STILL remained unanswered and i wonder why?

IF, you are doing niteliner and only go to one hub and come directly back to your terminal, why do you need two pups as opposed to a single van?
You can put more in to pups compared to a van. 2x27=54 not 53. Also 2 pups can be broken faster compared to a van. Also more weight on 2 pups.

You can put more in to pups compared to a van. 2x27=54 not 53. Also 2 pups can be broken faster compared to a van. Also more weight on 2 pups.
not always; on a van i can legally put 49,000 on and still be under 80,000 . with 2 pups add up the gear tractor 2trls and dolly , don't think you'll get 49,000 in the 2 pups and be legal but you are right on being faster to break

One big thing that hasn’t been mentioned. Tremendous cost savings to operate a single axle in city verses tandem. 1/2 mpg savings in fuel alone plus tire and maintenance savings. Cheaper to buy. We were told when factor in entire life of a tandem verses a single axle including purchase price and resale value, you can operate 5 single axles for the cost of 4 tandems.

One big thing that hasn’t been mentioned. Tremendous cost savings to operate a single axle in city verses tandem. 1/2 mpg savings in fuel alone plus tire and maintenance savings. Cheaper to buy. We were told when factor in entire life of a tandem verses a single axle including purchase price and resale value, you can operate 5 single axles for the cost of 4 tandems.
Fun fact.. UPS never sells any used equipment, at the end of it's life it is stripped and destroyed..
Not sure of TFI's process.....

i'd like to disagree about 2 pups being able to be broke faster than a van:

1) It takes more time to back 2 pups in (ASSuming you have room for 2....) vs. Van: Van takes like 30 secs after getting to the terminal. Boom. Done.
So by the time the second trailer is in, we've already got 4 pallets/2 bills off the van.

Not to mention the van likely got to the terminal quicker because there wasn't any hunting down and building my set-----which has taken me up to and beyond 45mins because some of the hubs are just chaos. So, the van was halfway home by the time i got all hooked up/pretripped etc. In this scenario, the van may be almost unloaded by the time the set gets to the terminal.

3) i feel that, If coordinated right, 4 forklifts can unload one van as quickly as 4 forklifts unloading 2 pups.

Admittedly, i don't have a whole lot of dock experience. But i have some.

Anyways, i don't feel there is any time advantage to using 2 pups. And, in fact, i feel there is a time detriment to using 2 pups vs. a van.

i will comment more, fully, on the weekend. They are working the stuffing out of me.....:(

Very interesting prognosis. I have noticed the singles get better mileage, but I’d have to assume it wears out drive tires a good bit faster. I don’t work for TForce / Upsgf but the outfit I do work for runs tandems and singles and it seems like every time you go by a scale one of our trucks (normally a single axle) is pulled behind getting a ticket, but that’s thanks to the unorganized nature of the operations of the company admittedly. It is interesting to see the variety, a lot of the big name nationwide carriers run single axle almost exclusively but then you have RL that runs strictly tandems for linehaul work and quite a bit for local work as well. For southern regions it seems like those tag axle tandems would be the best of both worlds or even a lift axle but I really don’t know the break down and costs of any spec’d truck.

i'd like to disagree about 2 pups being able to be broke faster than a van:

1) It takes more time to back 2 pups in (ASSuming you have room for 2....) vs. Van: Van takes like 30 secs after getting to the terminal. Boom. Done.
So by the time the second trailer is in, we've already got 4 pallets/2 bills off the van.

Not to mention the van likely got to the terminal quicker because there wasn't any hunting down and building my set-----which has taken me up to and beyond 45mins because some of the hubs are just chaos. So, the van was halfway home by the time i got all hooked up/pretripped etc. In this scenario, the van may be almost unloaded by the time the set gets to the terminal.

3) i feel that, If coordinated right, 4 forklifts can unload one van as quickly as 4 forklifts unloading 2 pups.

Admittedly, i don't have a whole lot of dock experience. But i have some.

Anyways, i don't feel there is any time advantage to using 2 pups. And, in fact, i feel there is a time detriment to using 2 pups vs. a van.

i will comment more, fully, on the weekend. They are working the stuffing out of me.....:(
The bottom line is they don't care what you think, they hired you to drive a truck not run the company, they don't want your opinion, just drive the truck and cash your check.