TForce | The Unanswerable Question:

Looked like they've made that part of the truck stop now.
Yes. The office building I think was converted to a medical building of some kind. Not sure if it still is. Used to love running there, nice large paved lot to build your set if needed, nice office. Only slight downside was the long cab ride to the motel.

And adjacent to White's was Yellow's beautiful Raphine relay location.
Didn't they build that because you couldn't make it to Carlise in 10 hrs from Knoxville?
Yes. The office building I think was converted to a medical building of some kind. Not sure if it still is. Used to love running there, nice large paved lot to build your set if needed, nice office. Only slight downside was the long cab ride to the motel.

Last edited:
I was with Overnite when they started the Niteliner program,
That was the beginning of most of the headaches involved in line-haul. Up to then they cut-off at 8 pm and if it wasn't loaded it didn't go.
The city side dispatched at 8:30 am, if it wasn't loaded it waited till tomorrow.
The hubs had cut times for all dispatches and it was rare to wait too long for a hook. Not a lot of wait 4 hours because this shipment is "due". We also had to give them 2 hours till we got paid for waiting, but that was just the way it was. They also had fuel jockeys and yardmen who would, more often than not have your set hooked by then.
The shippers got accustomed to next day and demanded faster and faster and farther and farther and the salesmen sold it. Paper logs and no telematics, except for the old Sangamo Tachograph that was easily fooled. We could make up time on occasion despite the 250 h p Macks we were proud to drive.
Times they be a changin'.....
As a spotter in cgo during the 90s I would hook 15-20 sets a night. Start to finish under ten minutes. Also learned to back up a set, got tired of breaking it down whenever the sup would make a mistake.

1) i don't think there is conclusive, clear and convincing proof that 2 pups can be unloaded faster than a van; Remember, by the time both pups are backed into the door, the van, which was backed in within 30 seconds of reaching the yard has already had 2 shipments or 4 pallets already unloaded. On top of that, i don't feel 2 pups can be unloaded faster than a van even if both were put in the door at the exact same time.

2) i'm not buying the single axle vs. tandem axle either for the following reasons.

a) End of line terminals that run niteliner usually don't have 2,3,4, niteliners, so not the majority of tractors and they don't have to share them with all the daytime P+D drivers; 3 or 4 tandem tractors vs. 20 single axle tractors.

b) The extra board city drivers or drivers that have more rural type routes with longer trailers could use those tandem tractors successfully.

So we're only talking a few tractors vs. the whole fleet of the terminal. Therefore the cost difference is negligible.

Sorry, but question STILL remains unanswered.

1) i don't think there is conclusive, clear and convincing proof that 2 pups can be unloaded faster than a van; Remember, by the time both pups are backed into the door, the van, which was backed in within 30 seconds of reaching the yard has already had 2 shipments or 4 pallets already unloaded. On top of that, i don't feel 2 pups can be unloaded faster than a van even if both were put in the door at the exact same time.

2) i'm not buying the single axle vs. tandem axle either for the following reasons.

a) End of line terminals that run niteliner usually don't have 2,3,4, niteliners, so not the majority of tractors and they don't have to share them with all the daytime P+D drivers; 3 or 4 tandem tractors vs. 20 single axle tractors.

b) The extra board city drivers or drivers that have more rural type routes with longer trailers could use those tandem tractors successfully.

So we're only talking a few tractors vs. the whole fleet of the terminal. Therefore the cost difference is negligible.

Maybe a truckload company would be a better fit for you.

You should spend more time changing the things that you can, instead of bitching about something you have no control over.

Max , I'll take you at your word that you simply want what makes the most sense. ( At least that's what I get from your posts )

In my area one company switched from pups entirely to vans. Central Transport. I don't know why ( I've asked but have received no answers )

Given Central Transport's reputation , I would guess they switched to vans from pups for costs savings. For a set of doubles you are paying for maintenance and tags for three vehicles versus paying maintenance and tags for one van. ( No disrespect ment Max - I know you made a detailed argument about the time involved with doubles and the extra doors and space )

On a side note , it's interesting to see Holland and YRC combine ( I have friends that are currently training on pulling doubles after pulling vans forever )

Max , I'll take you at your word that you simply want what makes the most sense. ( At least that's what I get from your posts )

In my area one company switched from pups entirely to vans. Central Transport. I don't know why ( I've asked but have received no answers )

Given Central Transport's reputation , I would guess they switched to vans from pups for costs savings. For a set of doubles you are paying for maintenance and tags for three vehicles versus paying maintenance and tags for one van. ( No disrespect ment Max - I know you made a detailed argument about the time involved with doubles and the extra doors and space )

On a side note , it's interesting to see Holland and YRC combine ( I have friends that are currently training on pulling doubles after pulling vans forever )
I don't see license or tags an issue as a lot of states' trailer tag prices were very low or permanent.
PIE went strictly pups last few years.
As for 3 axle vs 2 axle tractors, I don't see possibly how you can operate a 3 axle as economical as a 2 axle.

I don't see license or tags an issue as a lot of states' trailer tag prices were very low or permanent.
PIE went strictly pups last few years.
As for 3 axle vs 2 axle tractors, I don't see possibly how you can operate a 3 axle as economical as a 2 axle.
Those are valid points Breeze. I only brought up price based on the carrier I was using as an example: Central Transport. They seem to be reluctant to spend money ( even when it's absolutely necessary! ) Based on what people that have worked there have said of course.

You can put more in to pups compared to a van. 2x27=54 not 53. Also 2 pups can be broken faster compared to a van. Also more weight on 2 pups.
Just sayin, but you can put as much weight on a big box, if not a little more than on a set, both with day cabs.49,000 on a box if loaded correctly. If you have 46,000 on a set, you will be close to gross. Thanks for stopping by.

Those are valid points Breeze. I only brought up price based on the carrier I was using as an example: Central Transport. They seem to be reluctant to spend money ( even when it's absolutely necessary! ) Based on what people that have worked there have said of course.
Yep, never stood PIE's reason for dumping our 45s.
I'm just glad they had smarter people than me running the company for my 35 yrs.

Just sayin, but you can put as m.uch weight on a big box, if not a little more than on a set, both with day cabs.49,000 on a box if loaded correctly. If you have 46,000 on a set, you will be close to gross. Thanks for stopping by.
Totally agree

Just sayin, but you can put as much weight on a big box, if not a little more than on a set, both with day cabs.49,000 on a box if loaded correctly. If you have 46,000 on a set, you will be close to gross. Thanks for stopping by.
Not with a 2 axle. And our sleepers are even less tolerable to 51's.

Now, i'm not saying you can haul this much, but with a two axle tractor, you can haul 20,000 lbs on each of the 4 axles and 12000 on the steer. It is more weight transfer to work with based on axle weight. total of 80,000 lbs gross legally, 92000 total.
with a two axle tractor and a 51 series trailer you have 34000 lbs, 20000 lbs and 12000. a total of
66000 lbs gross legally.
And dont get me started on breaking a 53 compared to a pup to get hot freight out of the nose...

Don’t forget the main purpose of pups is direct loading to final destinations. When I worked the dock I would load a Dallas and a Houston pup each night. Send it to Dallas where they would be loading a Houston pup and match them up. Moves your freight down the road quicker. Many times you can direct load more destinations with pups.

Was told by a longtime Central driver they we’re having too many wrecks with pups. They switched to a van only operation to lower there CSA scores

Not with a 2 axle. And our sleepers are even less tolerable to 51's.

Now, i'm not saying you can haul this much, but with a two axle tractor, you can haul 20,000 lbs on each of the 4 axles and 12000 on the steer. It is more weight transfer to work with based on axle weight. total of 80,000 lbs gross legally, 92000 total.
with a two axle tractor and a 51 series trailer you have 34000 lbs, 20000 lbs and 12000. a total of
66000 lbs gross legally.
And dont get me started on breaking a 53 compared to a pup to get hot freight out of the nose...
Excuse me there, Wayne. I mentioned day cab, and forgot the word tandem. I will add your post about 92,000, 80,000, and 66,000 makes no sense.