Truck Driver Charged in Fatal Crash That Injured Tracy Morgan

I remember when Maislin bought Gateway Transportation.
maislin_ford_lnt.jpg

I really liked those Ford Louisville's.

I know a Costco Driver that lives in N.C. and works out of the Costco D.C. in New Jersey. He stays at his Sister's house in N.J. for two weeks at a time, then goes home to N.C. the third week. Been working like that for ten years.

Yeah well, Costco is an hourly Teamster job. I'm not sure, but I would think there was a Wal-Mart DC closer to GA. Not that any of this matters, what's done is done.

Update

Trucker in Tracy Morgan Crash was Driving 65 in 45 Zone: Feds - NBC News

i suspect he will not be able to drive for a while.

i do think however that even though he drove "close to 10 hours", did someone neglect to say to the prosecutor that 11 hours of driving is legal..??

he very well is in hot water for the speeding, but at least keep the charges with in the scope of the laws..??

they cannot charge him with driving "too many hours".....unless......he did not show that 30 minute break..??? and even then, his company runs with elogs..

and all that the regulations say is that a driver have off 10 hours...what he(or she) does in that 10 hours off, is HIS business.. no one has any right to tell or make anyone to get some sleep, although, that would be common sense anyways to get some.

I was surprised to see it was a Wal-Mart truck. Those guys are usually some of the best drivers on the road.

Yes but I was told today that I will have a to do a sleep study because I am a little overweight and my neck is more the 17" around. Are these new DOT rules going to rid the industry of seasoned driver while opening the door for a flood of youthful ones?

I have tinnitus in both ears and there is no way I will ever get to sleep in a silent room.

Yes but I was told today that I will have a to do a sleep study because I am a little overweight and my neck is more the 17" around. Are these new DOT rules going to rid the industry of seasoned driver while opening the door for a flood of youthful ones?

I have tinnitus in both ears and there is no way I will ever get to sleep in a silent room.

you may want to contact OOIDA about that sleep study. they have a very interesting article about that in the May 2014 issue.

i cannot get it online and post it here, i cannot scan it, and post it either.

but in essence, (they print) that according to........

393.41(b)..a person is physically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle if that person (5) has no established medical history or clinical diagnoses of a respiratory dysfunction likely to interfere with his/her ability to control and drive a commercial motor vehicle safely.

they (OOIDA) states that the FMCSR claim that there is only a "guidance".

and that there is a common theme..."liability"......

i'll get back on this, i'll email the lawyers that have a column in the LandLine magazine

update..

done, i emailed the lawyers that write that column in LandLine, and asked if they do not mind, if i copy/paste thier response to me, in fact, i gave them this website and where to look for this sleep testing post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think that buying Gateway was the cause of Maislin shutting down in the US?
Maislin purchased Gateway to gain a bigger foothold in the US. The Murphy Clan sold Gateway to Maislin after the OLD man died. One of the Murphy's rules was equipment was paid for before it was delivered. I know this as my dad worked for Northern Trans/Gateway in Milwaukee from 1946 until they closed the doors. Many drivers were asked by Maislin to put x% from each paycheck to keep the doors open. The smart one's like my dad got a sherriff's lien on equipment to get their money back just before the company shut down US operations.

Walmart was one of the 1st companies to use electronic log's, and set their trucks at 65. When you are 1st hired on by Walmart you go to a DC to gain experience with Walmart, then you get assigned to a DC closer to your home. From my view Walmart drivers are among the BEST in the industry, they drive excellent equipment and have some of the BEST working conditions around. Many of their drivers earn over 80k a year and DO NOT run illegal. It is the driver respondsibilty to have sufficient rest before getting into the truck. The driver made a bad choice my saying ANYTHING to anyone, Walmart lawyers will get him and themselves off by saying he made those statements under DURESS!

I think its odd there was a conclusion to the whole thing before an investigation even took place. Also, maybe he was being pressed hard on idle time and couldn't get quality rest on his breaks.

Hypothetical, even if he came in tired and then tried to get rest on break but couldn't run truck to have AC because of Wal-Mart harassing divers on idle times... so he couldn't get rest. Should Wal-Mart n other companies be held to the fire here in some way?

I think its odd there was a conclusion to the whole thing before an investigation even took place. Also, maybe he was being pressed hard on idle time and couldn't get quality rest on his breaks.

Hypothetical, even if he came in tired and then tried to get rest on break but couldn't run truck to have AC because of Wal-Mart harassing divers on idle times... so he couldn't get rest. Should Wal-Mart n other companies be held to the fire here in some way?

IMHO, this got all kinds of media attention and scrutiny because of the Tracy Morgan aspect. Also, I think he's definitely being judged before all the facts are in. On the other hand it's solely his (driver's) responsibility to be properly rested when he starts work.

IMHO, this got all kinds of media attention and scrutiny because of the Tracy Morgan aspect. Also, I think he's definitely being judged before all the facts are in. On the other hand it's solely his (driver's) responsibility to be properly rested when he starts work.
You are correct.....! Look at the Walmart drivers....almost ALL are older and have years of experience before being hired by WalMart....They have very stringent requirements before they will even interview you about a driving job!

I don't why we have to go to a foreign news source for updates but, here's 1

Walmart driver Kevin Roper was going 65mph in a 45mph zone just before the 7 June crash on

The timetable appears to show Roper WASN'T in violation of federal rules that permit truck drivers to work up to 14 hours a day, with a maximum of 11 hours behind the wheel. He had been on duty about 13½ hours at the time of the accident, according to the report.
Walmart truck driver in Tracy Morgan collision was speeding, report finds | World news | theguardian.com

Roper, who lives in Georgia but was based in Delaware, reported for work at 11:22 a.m. on June 6, according to the NTSB report. He made deliveries to Walmart stores in New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania before the wreck 13 hours, 32 minutes later, it said. Federal rules limit interstate commercial drivers to 14-hour shifts before they must rest, the report said.

His total driving time that day was 9 hours, 37 minutes, which is below the 11 hours allowed by federal limits, the report said.

The NTSB, however, is also looking at how long Roper was awake and driving before he reported to work the day before the crash, officials told CNN on Thursday. He lives in Georgia and commutes to his job more than 700 miles away in Smyrna, Delaware, NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway said.
NTSB: Truck in Tracy Morgan crash speeding, driver neared rest limits - CNN.com

You are correct.....! Look at the Walmart drivers....almost ALL are older and have years of experience before being hired by WalMart....They have very stringent requirements before they will even interview you about a driving job!

I agree with all of that but they are being pushed too and thats kinda my whole angle here.

They pull up to a dock at one of their stores... you better be pulling out at a drop of a hat because they expect it. They catch heat if it takes too long.

Was it idle time over drivers comfort on break? Is it a hurry up but be safe environment?