XPO | Using Subcontractors While Employees Are Being Laid Off

There are lots of other people like me that see zero value in the Teamsters or there would have been a lot more barns that would have voted. If I wanted to be in a union I would of went to one of the companies where they are already established. Say what you want but XPO will never be union so you can either complain about it or deal with it. As a side note they have plenty of problems at the union companies, go check out their trucking board threads if you don't believe me.
No one ever said working at a union company is free of problems. Having no say as most do Xpo is worse.

Say what you want but XPO will never be union so you can either complain about it or deal with it.

You've unnecessarily made this into an either/or situation, both if which are hopeless. I'll stick with fighting to change and improve where I work and you should too. We might not share the same vision but to simply throw our hands up and accept whatever awful thing is handed down is a dead to sure misery.

Fight for yourself and your coworkers.

The health of the pension worries me. I'd rather be in control of my own retirement

A well run pension plan is a defined benefit plan. Contributions are made by the company on your behalf that will result in a defined benefit to you and your family when you retire. Central States is an example of what can happen when membership declines severely and the fund is grossly mismanaged. Central States is the exception and not the rule. There are hundreds of well run pension plans in this country that will pay every cent owed to their participants. The ups and downs of the stock market and recessions have no effect on the benefit you receive and and...Central States my yet survive if the Butch Lewis Act grows a pair of legs in Congress.

A 401K is a defined contribution plan. You make contributions every week and the company will match a portion of your contribution. I think XPO is at a 3% match right now. However, your benefit is not defined and is tied to stock market performance. A recession can devastate your earnings overnight. To be fair, in the long run, a well managed 401K can do very well for you. If you hit a recession in your 30's, 40's or 50's, its almost certain that the market will rebound and your investments will thrive once again. The problem lies in what I am experiencing right now. T Rowe Price is an excellent choice for a mutual fund and has done very well for me the past 8 years. These are delicate economic times to say the least. I am preparing to withdraw the bulk of my savings sometime in the next year to purchase a retirement home in Puerto Rico. The volatility of the market terrifies me because if I don't time it correctly or if the market turns before I am ready to withdraw, my 3 bedroom house a block from the beach can turn into a shack in the mountains real quick. I'd rather the defined benefit plan and I would have taken the longest term mortgage offered. When I'm dead, I won't have to worry about paying it.

You've unnecessarily made this into an either/or situation, both if which are hopeless. I'll stick with fighting to change and improve where I work and you should too. We might not share the same vision but to simply throw our hands up and accept whatever awful thing is handed down is a dead to sure misery.

Fight for yourself and your coworkers.

Fight, fight and fight again. Fight it until you drop. At least you'll be able to say I gave it all I had. It has become a matter of principle for me. I will not enjoy the shade of the tree I am planting today and my motivation is simple. DO NOT let these people convince you that they care about you and have your best interests at heart. They care about one thing only and that is their profit. They couldn't care less who sits in your seat and they have proven that over and over again. They sub contract your work to the lowest bidder, while you sit home on layoff. They have the opportunity to provide you with a GREAT Health Care plan that would cost them the very same that they are paying now for a garbage plan like Cigna. They simply refuse to consider it. One by one they have taken benefits from us that result in higher profits for them.

DO NOT BE FOOLED. The presence of the Teamsters is the ONLY reason they have not gone full out savage on their plans for us. They know if they get too close to that line in the sand, many terminals will say "ENOUGH" and carve a path right to the door of their local union. Their plan has always been to try to outlast us. Drag it on for so long, that we will lose focus and surrender. As we speak, it seems their plan is alive and well. We need to kill it. We need to work harder to bring this information to ALL the working men and women of XPO. We need to do it one on one, steadily, deliberately and with the facts in hand. We can still win...if we try.

Just saw the new handout last night about how they are going to 'gamify' the dock work.

Which means, on a basic level, that they want you to work more for the same money while shaming each other along the way.

Oh, and this WILL lead to discipline and firings. Dont listen to them when they say otherwise.

Just saw the new handout last night about how they are going to 'gamify' the dock work.

Which means, on a basic level, that they want you to work more for the same money while shaming each other along the way.

Oh, and this WILL lead to discipline and firings. Dont listen to them when they say otherwise.
Tao , what exactly does the new handout ask those working on the dock to do?

http://imgur.com/gallery/VcACT9d

Couldn't figure out how to embed a photo, so you get a link instead.

Garbage like this is why amazon workers are urinating in bottles in the aisles and not eating and drinking water at work.

Productivity at YOUR expense. Let's see how much pressure they can put on us before we explode. I love the "ask for coaching" and "discuss with your supervisor". When the LOI's begin to flow, the next step will be "Look for another job".

Productivity at YOUR expense. Let's see how much pressure they can put on us before we explode. I love the "ask for coaching" and "discuss with your supervisor". When the LOI's begin to flow, the next step will be "Look for another job".

I really enjoyed the notion of constant pressure, fear, and persistent goading as making "... working on the dock fun!"

Lol.

Oh they had to think this one out. Let’s see... how do we get motor moves up with pressing people to hard and push them to unionization. I got it ! Let’s make it a game. Yeah that’s it.
Just what we need yahoo’s driving more like jack ass then they already do.
Safety first .

I do support making work more fun if it succeeds at that without leading to LOI or accidents I’m all for it.

Last edited:
Well, there's better pay, more PTO, a contract and a zero premium Team Care plan that actually pays for medical procedures you might need. Some drivers, with a family of four let's say. will save almost 5,000.00 a year with Team Care as opposed to Cigna. In my opinion only, the most important advantage to a union contract is the ability to bypass the kangaroo court of the Safety Review Board and grieve any and all discipline to a third party arbitrator. This in effect eliminates frivolous discipline. However, if you really earned an LOI by running into the rear end of a Ferrari while talking on your phone...nobody can help you.
Agree, woodz. Several years ago I tried that ‘Ethics Point’ thing on an LOI I received one time. What a complete and utter JOKE that was.

http://imgur.com/gallery/VcACT9d

Couldn't figure out how to embed a photo, so you get a link instead.

Garbage like this is why amazon workers are urinating in bottles in the aisles and not eating and drinking water at work.
That’s the most ridiculous piece of crap I’ve ever seen put forth in a workplace. What the rest of you at XPO need to do is organize. The sooner the better, fellas.

Agree, woodz. Several years ago I tried that ‘Ethics Point’ thing on an LOI I received one time. What a complete and utter JOKE that was.

LOL. I faced them 8 years ago on a dropped trailer. I didn't know it at the time, but the driver who used the tractor every day had issues hooking up. He had to hit it 3 or 4 times before the jaws closed around the pin. He was off that day and I got the tractor. I had the same experience as he did, but when it finally caught, I tugged and it seemed fine. I went under to look again and the jaws were closed. As I left the gate, the trailer came loose and hit the ground. I cranked it back up and got underneath it and turned back into the yard. My supervisor told me to go ahead with my route as I finally got it hooked correctly. I refused and put the tractor out of service. Later that week, a vendor came and replaced the spring kit. I appealed and before I had my SRB, I sent ahead several items I found on line that showed a defective 5th wheel could separate even miles down the road. I included the receipt from the vendor who replaced the spring kit. After several ridiculous questions from the 3 "drivers", I closed by saying that I could not have known the spring mechanism was defective but since they found it defective and replaced it, it should be clear that this was NOT preventable. The safety manager said that they knew about the spring kit replacement AND...it doesn't matter. 3 days later, preventable. Thank you! Woof.

Oh they had to think this one out. Let’s see... how do we get motor moves up with pressing people to hard and push them to unionization. I got it ! Let’s make it a game. Yeah that’s it.
Just what we need yahoo’s driving more like jack ass then they already do.
Safety first .

I do support making work more fun if it succeeds at that without leading to LOI or accidents I’m all for it.
Funny about trying to make people go faster 3 weeks ago I was hit by a forklift on our dock as was looking for a piece of of freight to load in a trailer. On lite duty now while they do all their tests. Knee injury hip injury head trauma. My back still aches everyday headaches I will find out this week what is wrong

Funny about trying to make people go faster 3 weeks ago I was hit by a forklift on our dock as was looking for a piece of of freight to load in a trailer. On lite duty now while they do all their tests. Knee injury hip injury head trauma. My back still aches everyday headaches I will find out this week what is wrong
Sorry, to hear that. I hope you recover well.

I hope you take the advice others have posted about Matrix.

Just out of curiosity , the person that hit you...any discipline for them?

Hope you get better soon.