ABF | Warning: This is a RUMOR I heard about ABF Systems

Merging Overnite with Motor Cargo has put such a bad taste in their mouth they probably won't but another company till this merger is running smooth.:hide:
I would not disagree with your statement skeet, But the magic question is, what do they consider running smooth?

Now that is scary considering some of this company's past track record's. with no subtle hint of sarcasm... I get the impression if there is a buyout in the US they will do the same as they did to us, put together a merger team to consolidate operations into a new branch under UPSF , and not nessesarily merge the already exsisting entity with the new purchase. EXAMPLE -- FDXF, VS NATIONAL. 2 seperate entities.

You people need to understand that that was just a opinion by a analyst about UPS buying ABF. If ups buys another carrier i don't think it would be ABF maybe ESTES or ODFL. Don't think it is a union carrier to much overhead. (NMFA)

What would UPS gain by buying ABF ? I dont get it....cant they just expand Overnite/UPSFreight ? It would be cheaper (wage wise) and we all know the UPS name stands up by itself. I wish it would happen...maybe I would not be 5 guys from layoff after 5 years (not stable for me).

Sorry for the late reply on a week old post...

I would think, having been through FedEx's purchase of AF and Watkins, that they--as well as UPS--don't want to spend a lot of time on geographically expanding. Real estate is sky high, which makes building new facilities unattractive, so I disagree that it would be cheaper for them. Not to mention trying to get zoning permits from city/town councils, etc. Purchasing an existing terminal is an option, but they're usually not well taken care of--cracked/busted concrete, shoddy office construction, etc. Of course, I guess you'd get some of that with an acquisition, but at least you've got a "footprint" in an area and can then decide to upgrade, rebuild, or whatever.

As for why UPS would want ABF--it's all about the Benjamins. Again, similar to FedEx: position UPS Freight as the regional, next-day/second-day carrier and jack up the rates on third-day and beyond. ABF has decent rates on the long-haul without the additional cost that comes with a regional product. And the corporate office watches the $$ roll in!

Thanks for letting a FedEx'er throw in two cents on your board.

I would think, having been through FedEx's purchase of AF and Watkins, that they--as well as UPS--don't want to spend a lot of time on geographically expanding. Real estate is sky high, which makes building new facilities unattractive, so I disagree that it would be cheaper for them. Not to mention trying to get zoning permits from city/town councils, etc. Purchasing an existing terminal is an option, but they're usually not well taken care of--cracked/busted concrete, shoddy office construction, etc. Of course, I guess you'd get some of that with an acquisition, but at least you've got a "footprint" in an area and can then decide to upgrade, rebuild, or whatever.

As for why UPS would want ABF--it's all about the Benjamins. Again, similar to FedEx: position UPS Freight as the regional, next-day/second-day carrier and jack up the rates on third-day and beyond. ABF has decent rates on the long-haul without the additional cost that comes with a regional product. And the corporate office watches the $$ roll in!

I guess an interesting question is:
How many ABF terminals are owned by UPSF?
I know the Minniapolis, Minnesota ABF terminal is owned by UPSF...and ABF rents it.

How many accross the ABF system are the same?

I know that one of the reasons UPS bought "O" is the fact that "O" owned all of its terminals and equipment
The only terminals that were not technically owned by "O" were owned by the "O" pension fund and the rent was paid to the pension fund.

Anyway....if ABF rents several terminals from UPSF, then it would be a benefit to UPS to buy them...they would loose the rent, but add to the profit #'s.

Just a thought.

"How many ABF terminals are owned by UPSF?"

I don't know of any terminals up east that we lease from "O"? I know the "O" had a lot of nice real estate, but so did Carolina. And ABF made out pretty good when we kept some of those terminals?

You people need to understand that that was just a opinion by a analyst about UPS buying ABF. If ups buys another carrier i don't think it would be ABF maybe ESTES or ODFL. Don't think it is a union carrier to much overhead. (NMFA)

As you have said it is pure speculation, and I also get the impression it will be another non union entity if it infact happens, But do not kid yourself when the article say's ABF is infact the best longhaul entity on the market. They are .

It certainly is not out of the spectrum...

As a matter of fact you are 100% correct in what you are saying, the footprint has been established , and the monies will roll in.

Unionized too boot, ABF is kicking a$$ on the longhaul. Anybody interested in buying a ltl longhaul carrier would be stupid not too buy ABF if the time presented itself.

I guess an interesting question is:
How many ABF terminals are owned by UPSF?
I know the Minniapolis, Minnesota ABF terminal is owned by UPSF...and ABF rents it.

How many accross the ABF system are the same?

I know that one of the reasons UPS bought "O" is the fact that "O" owned all of its terminals and equipment
The only terminals that were not technically owned by "O" were owned by the "O" pension fund and the rent was paid to the pension fund.

Anyway....if ABF rents several terminals from UPSF, then it would be a benefit to UPS to buy them...they would loose the rent, but add to the profit #'s.

Just a thought.
I was under the impression that ABF was debt free, and owned most of their property!

Leased Terminals

ABF does rent/lease some smaller terminals. To my knowledge the larger & break bulk are owned. Yes ABF has very little debt compared to other freight lines. We have been paying for new equipment(tractors & trailers) as we take delivery since 99.

family man imade 61,000 at abf at 75 and 80 percent last year,this year 75,000at 80 an 90 per cent, 100 percent now soooooooooo

family man imade 61,000 at abf at 75 and 80 percent last year,this year 75,000at 80 an 90 per cent, 100 percent now soooooooooo
What you didn't say is what your doing for it?

Are you in the city working 40 or less?
Are you on the road and if so how long of a run, are you home daily, how many hrs a week are you logging?

Make no mistake, unless your an idiot everyone at all of these co's knows what the other makes and who pays more. But as far as pay goes we are not that far apart, now start talking benefits and yes I'm jealous, I would love to have a pension that will pay 2-3k a month out, it would be great to have co paid health.
But, and there is a but, I don't want to go to the bottom again, I don't want to get laid off every year. I prefer to be 14 miles from the yard instead of 40 and wonder if my vehicle is going to be there when I return and if so if it will be broke into or have to drive a beater so I don't worry about it, kinda defeats the purpose of making more.

I am where I am by choice, we all choose wether to stay or go. Or wether to organize or not. These are decisions made based on many things.

I know I make what I do because the Union keeps the pressure on, I don't want the Union to go down as Puff or others here have said, they will say that the pay scale is driven by driver shortages but if that were true why is it that the Union carriers are always the highest pay?

I have seen the reference by some that if you work at a Non and admit that the Union is what drives the pay then you are a free rider, in reality that is false, I end up paying much more than dues in added costs of healthcare so it is no free ride. Yes I know that they were referring to the fact they stand the line each contract time and take the risk to secure a contract that the rest just try and imitate closely, not exactly just close enough.
But, there is no support of a Union at FXF, if you start pushing for it you might just as well go to Yellow or USF ABF besause you will be out the door soon enough, you know it, I know it, we all know it. Even with a Union if you step on the wrong toes and they want you gone bad enough they will get you, eventually.

Sorry for the long rant but it kinda chaps my butt when we get into the pissing contest and someone talks down to someone else. We are all doing the same job and probably for the same reason, taking care of our families while weighing what works best for us.

Take care
FM

Sorry for the long rant but it kinda chaps my butt when we get into the pissing contest and someone talks down to someone else. We are all doing the same job and probably for the same reason, taking care of our families while weighing what works best for us.

Take care
FM

Yes, I know what you mean FM. we're all out here doing the same job and we do have to weigh what works best for us. That was a well written post you made.
ttman

After 28 years of trucking. There is only one thing that concerns me. My pension. I want out as soon as possable. Im ready!!! And can I help you, Welcome to Walmart!!!!