XPO | Wednesday snow storm

We're not running tonight, and since we don't have anything going on this weekend I'm running daytime lh Friday for regular $ plus holiday pay.

As a l/h driver I'm doing the same. It happens to not put me out at all this weekend and I'm not being forced. But this is the kind of thing that the company should under no circumstances be allowed to do. Con-way is essentially making some drivers choose between their families and their jobs at the last minute on a day that was SCHEDULED as a day off for over 11 months. I asked what would happen if a driver being forced was to refuse and the immediate answer from management was "It would be considered refusal of a direct work order and result in termination." Unacceptable.

At the smaller barns I'd be surprised if they get enough volunteers to fill all the spots. My barn happens to be smaller and I already know of one driver that I can almost guarantee will be forced and has no intention on showing up. So while I hope you are right we will see what happens.

As a l/h driver I'm doing the same. It happens to not put me out at all this weekend and I'm not being forced. But this is the kind of thing that the company should under no circumstances be allowed to do. Con-way is essentially making some drivers choose between their families and their jobs at the last minute on a day that was SCHEDULED as a day off for over 11 months. I asked what would happen if a driver being forced was to refuse and the immediate answer from management was "It would be considered refusal of a direct work order and result in termination." Unacceptable.

At the smaller barns I'd be surprised if they get enough volunteers to fill all the spots. My barn happens to be smaller and I already know of one driver that I can almost guarantee will be forced and has no intention on showing up. So while I hope you are right we will see what happens.
Well it is the freight business.

Nothing will happen to the no-show; maybe LOI. Tell them to call Greg L. if a problem.

And there is no hurry to make service. The FAC can come pick up the freight. They'll have plenty of extra that want $$. I would run the FAC on Sunday night. Would create the least amount of problems.

But, it is the freight business.

Running the fac on Sunday night would be fine. Hell I'll offer to run it again Sat. during the day and still get my restart for Mon. That would be fine to pick up loads left there. It wont do anything for outbound freight going there. I'd assume we will be very light considering I'm looking out my window at 1.5" and expect our city operation to be calling the drivers back in, if they've even hit the road yet. So maybe that wont be an issue either.

"There is no hurry to make service" and "But, it is the freight business." seem to contradict each other.

I think we both know full well that this company sees it however they want to see it and if they lose service on 2 pups full of freight because a driver refuses to run it will be an issue. Of course they wont lose the service on the freight because they'll just move on up the list and force someone else creating major morale issues especially if the junior guy isn't disciplined.

Running the fac on Sunday night would be fine. Hell I'll offer to run it again Sat. during the day and still get my restart for Mon. That would be fine to pick up loads left there. It wont do anything for outbound freight going there. I'd assume we will be very light considering I'm looking out my window at 1.5" and expect our city operation to be calling the drivers back in, if they've even hit the road yet. So maybe that wont be an issue either.

"There is no hurry to make service" and "But, it is the freight business." seem to contradict each other.

I think we both know full well that this company sees it however they want to see it and if they lose service on 2 pups full of freight because a driver refuses to run it will be an issue. Of course they wont lose the service on the freight because they'll just move on up the list and force someone else creating major morale issues especially if the junior guy isn't disciplined.

Yeah, the re-start. Didn't think about that one. That would be impossible.

Being the freight business; they have to move the freight or they don't get paid. That's what I mean't. We had 40 day-runs today. Gonna be a full night tonight. End of the month. But,we don't have to deal with the weather either. Good Luck what ever you everybody else decides. I'll be running.

ok, clowns... what do you want? do you want us to close the FACs out of concern for our employee's safety.. to ensure they're all home for the holiday??? or do you want us to NOT CLOSE, taking a chance on getting a bunch of you stuck out there unable to get home??? or do you want to ... what?
I swear, you all just LOOK for a reason to toss Con-Way under the bus.. yadda yadda yadda

ok, clowns... what do you want? do you want us to close the FACs out of concern for our employee's safety.. to ensure they're all home for the holiday??? or do you want us to NOT CLOSE, taking a chance on getting a bunch of you stuck out there unable to get home??? or do you want to ... what?
I swear, you all just LOOK for a reason to toss Con-Way under the bus.. yadda yadda yadda
They make it easy.

Con-Way management at it's finest, right there...

We're not running tonight, and since we don't have anything going on this weekend I'm running daytime lh Friday for regular $ plus holiday pay.

One driver told me it's actually time and a half for the run on top of 8 hours holiday pay. I'm not sure he's right but it would be an added bonus.

Multiple easy options for the company to do the right thing here.

Option A: shut down the fac's and run lh sat (which still sucks but is not on the schedule as a holiday.)

Option B: Instead of making the decision to shut down the night before the storm, plan for a 2 hr backup and assess the situation when the storm hits.

Option C: Shut down the fac's as well as city operations, which actually ran in the middle of the storm in my area, and reopen business as usual on Monday having to play catchup with the west and southern freight.

My big gripe here is forcing drivers, at the threat of losing their jobs, to cancel plans, lose money, and create tense family situations on probably the biggest holiday weekend of the year after telling them that it was a scheduled day off.

edit: Just thought of another viable option: If they really want things moved around Fri. use whatever volunteers you can get to move what you can and then play catchup Mon. if things get left behind. My guess is with this option you can fill whatever holes the smaller sic's have with vias from volunteers. Sure it'll cost the company a bit more and require a bit more planning, but you're not pissing off 1/4 of the workforce you're trying to keep happy, non-union, and driving for con-way...

It is mind boggling to me the steps, and money this company has spent to retain drivers and stay non-union and then fumble in such a big way. I was talking to a few of the bottom drivers that are being forced to run Friday, a few of which were completely anti union, and every single one of them now said "where do I sign."

I THINK they'll be cautious because it's the RIGHT THING TO DO... "current labor climate" has nothing to do with it...

Agreed. This "policy" started a couple or so years ago. I can't remember what year, but they began shutting things down when imminent weather approached. Sometimes, I think they overreacted, but either way they made the decision based on the new safety climate at the time.
Sorry to disappoint many on this board, but the union threat is not the impetus for every decision made by this company.

Agreed. This "policy" started a couple or so years ago. I can't remember what year, but they began shutting things down when imminent weather approached. Sometimes, I think they overreacted, but either way they made the decision based on the new safety climate at the time.
Sorry to disappoint many on this board, but the union threat is not the impetus for every decision made by this company.

Anyone that actually works for the company knows that.

We seem to have some impostors here....

Anyone that actually works for the company knows that.

We seem to have some impostors here....

Wait a minute! You mean to say that some people commenting on this company and encouraging major changes to it, are not even employed by Con-way?